Custom 29 gallon rimless build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eddies has a bonded shrimp and goby in their little 'seahorse' tank back near the live rock just yesterday I believe!!!The goby was out in front of the shrimp who was decent sized....I would give them a call and see if they are still their.Eddie holds stuff with deposit I believe....They caught my attention but I always look in the little tank...:cool:
I would love to do that, but I'm a long way out from getting them. I'm sure theyd special order a pair for me once I have the tank cycled and ready

Well I put about 10 lbs of base rock in today with about 1/2" of sand right now, I bought about 10 pounds of fiji dry rock and I have about another 10 lbs of fiji live rock in my basement with some more base rock. I'm trying to set up the aquascape and ill be adding another 10 lbs of sand once that comes in. I'm so excited for the way it's coming out, its killing me to have to keep waiting to fill it up. I just want to get this cycle started.

10lbs of Fiji live rock in basement with more base rock .
Waiting to get cycle started...
These two lines don't add up to me?
The live rock is not dry is it? It shouldn't be I don't think?
Sounds like it coming together.

10lbs of Fiji live rock in basement with more base rock .
Waiting to get cycle started...
These two lines don't add up to me?
The live rock is not dry is it? It shouldn't be I don't think?
Sounds like it coming together.
Nope it doesn't make any sense lol, it's all dry rock. Nothing is live yet haha mistype on my part

So my friend came over yesterday and we worked on the aquascape, we are both perfectionists so it took us hours to come to something we are both happy with, I want to know what you guys think. Any suggestions?1481393391919.jpg

I like it.
Are you going to secure it in place some how or have you already?
The cave is cool and will offer fish and corals a place in shaded light and less flow..

Okay so I have a couple questions regarding RODI water, I have never used it and I know nothing about it but I feel like on top of all the benefits from the better water it will also end up being cheaper than continuing to buy several gallons of distilled water a week. So basically my question is how do they work? I don't need in depth details or anything, I just mean when i googled them I see them being connected to water like a faucet or something. Is there like stand alone systems that I can pour water in or something? Any help would be appreciated

You can't just pour water into them. You need pressure to move water through them, similar to how our canister units work...in fact exactly the same. Just subtract the pump and add the faucet or directly run into the water supply to provide such.

You can't just pour water into them. You need pressure to move water through them, similar to how our canister units work...in fact exactly the same. Just subtract the pump and add the faucet or directly run into the water supply to provide such.
Well that sucks, how does it work connecting it right to the faucet? I don't know why I'm iffy about this, I just don't know how I like it. Can I like put it away when I'm not using it? Maybe I'm putting way too much thought into this or I'm just not grasping the concept completely

You can have your RO ANYWHERE you want.
The water comes in through your water lines and is either sent to waste out one of your drains[still under pressure so waste can go uphill] and the good goes to a vessel you have.
A float valve to shut it off is best way to operate as i believe letting your ro unit go dry is a big NO NO...
There are many places to get ro nut I am BRS all the way,Make sure you know how much and how available the replacement cartridges are before you buy..
BRS rules because they are so helpful[like coming with 3 ways to mountthe system to your water source!
AND VIDEOS!!! Here you go!
How to Install an RO/DI System - Bulk Reef Supply

IMO you need DI also for reef quality water...

Thanks so much for the help, the video really helped me out for some reason.

Sniperhank I'm thinking about getting the 4 stage version of the one you and Dary were talking about on his thread. Is that any good?

I am BRS 6 stage chloramine deluxe, dual DI, extra canister in front for 5 micron"pre filter' with the 150GPD upgrade and pump... I don't use the volumiser ,but I like the dual TDS meter and built in pressure gauge and flush valve...I use mine for FW also so I own another TDS meter and think the one with unit is very good..

I am BRS 6 stage chloramine deluxe, dual DI, extra canister in front for 5 micron"pre filter' with the 150GPD upgrade and pump... I don't use the volumiser ,but I like the dual TDS meter and built in pressure gauge and flush valve...I use mine for FW also so I own another TDS meter and think the one with unit is very good..

https://www.aquaticlife.com/ro-di-s...age-reverse-osmosis-deionization-systems.html

this is the one I am talking about. Haha but about 90 percent of that went over my head. I want a unit that is reasonably priced but still gets the job done and is better than just distilled water. I looked at some of the BRS ones and the only ones that are around my price range seem to only be RO units. I remembered reading about Dary's new RODI system and that is sort of what got me thinking, i believe he has a 5 stage system though. I don't know much about technical stuff, I just want to be able to install it and know its better than what I used to use.

I would look closely at the price of replacement cartridges for that....
IMO you will spend more then me over time for WAY less if it last long enough to find out...
Go to ebay or amazon and find one that has COMMON 10" replacement cartridges...
Then at least you can choose the quality of the cartridge you are using..
$29 for DI replacement! That is what you will go through the fastest...
And you can't see it change color, so without a TDS meter you will never know if it is working....DI goes fastest, and FASTER if the ro is not efficient.....
Just saying I would shop around ....

Okay these might be a couple stupid questions, but here we go. Say I buy that one and I use it about once every 2 weeks for about 10 gallons how long would the di filter last? And here comes the dumb question if I don't replace it right when it goes bad is it still better than distilled water?

That is a tricky question. It depends on your water quality. More that the resin has to remove the quicker it will be depleted. On my awful water supply, the stuff would last a month. It can last longer for others.
If you don't replace the filters when they go bad, then you are almost using tap water. Is it better than distilled water? Most likely no due to the fact that distilled is processed where the tap wouldn't be...but it would also depend on how badly you let things get.
When it comes to the price of the replacement filters, it really isn't that out of control. I think the prices are reasonable. But then again, I'm also considering replacing my BRS unit with this one due to the size. I lost the unit as getting married made my bachelor kitchen needed room for two.
For me, I might get the 3 stage and add on the dual di to it. But very much in the thought phase with this, no matter how much I want to act.

That is a tricky question. It depends on your water quality. More that the resin has to remove the quicker it will be depleted. On my awful water supply, the stuff would last a month. It can last longer for others.
If you don't replace the filters when they go bad, then you are almost using tap water. Is it better than distilled water? Most likely no due to the fact that distilled is processed where the tap wouldn't be...but it would also depend on how badly you let things get.
When it comes to the price of the replacement filters, it really isn't that out of control. I think the prices are reasonable. But then again, I'm also considering replacing my BRS unit with this one due to the size. I lost the unit as getting married made my bachelor kitchen needed room for two.
For me, I might get the 3 stage and add on the dual di to it. But very much in the thought phase with this, no matter how much I want to act.
Would getting the 3 stage and dual di make it last longer our just work better for the same amount of time, I have fairly good public water it isn't a well or anything

Back
Top Bottom