Custom 29g reef tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a shot of my custom 29 tall reef tank and cabinet. Just getting underway. This began as a old sink cabinet. I could've bought a cheaper 150 gal tank and stand for 1/3 of what I already have in this one but the cabinet was sturdy and all maple, so...
4 coats of semigloss black and semigloss acryl sealer on the outside. All silicone sealed inside with 2 coats of gloss white epoxy. Swing-up center door for valve access. Clear coated nickel hardware. Auto close hinges. I finished cutting (3) 1" holes today for the overflow bulkheads. One is an open drain, the second for balance and the third for a higher emergency overflow. I'm now waiting on the drillbit and 2 more 3/4" bulkheads to arrive next werk so I can get them in for the return lines i'll be putting in 1/2" Loc-line Ys on each side about halfway up on each side. I will be using a TaoTronic dimmable 120w LED system in that canopy with blue and white Stinner LEDs.

I'm getting ready to cut my glass inserts to make a 10 gallon refugium so my drain lines can drop into a filter sock, protein skimmer, uv sterilizer with a 6500k dimmable led.

Comments?

Attachments

• image-461285815.jpg
    image-461285815.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 100
And another shot:

Attachments

• image-678459887.jpg
    image-678459887.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 97
Rhino said:
Looks great so far. Will be following along for sure. Any plans for stock yet?

Hey, thanks. I have 35lbs of dry rock soaking right now i'm gonna add maybe 40 more of LR. I'm planning a nice back wall for corals. Very few fish. Even though I will be scrubbing and polishing the water,I don't want to put a heavy bio-load on this tank. Maybe a clown for my anemone, a cool goby with a shrimp and a good clean up crew. Or I could just plop in a school of 30 rhino tang for a stunning head turner.

Here is what I basically started from...I made the canopy.

Attachments

• image-3030442097.jpg
    image-3030442097.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 82
Thanks! I think my wife is liking it. I wish I started a much larger tank but the size and heft of this stand makes it look do much larger. I'm praying that once its up and running, it will be pretty quiet. The type of overflow system (BeanAnimals) I'm using is supposed to be tunable to prevent gurgling, accidental overflowing and basically silent.

Back
Top Bottom