Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

cycle

Do I cycle my tank with all my nice liverock or will the ammonia spike kill it

Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nah, add it. Is it cured LR? Won't hurt to go though another cycle.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be nice to your fish. Take a minute and read this before you cycle a tank with fish.

Cycle your salt tank
Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah its going through a fishless cycle now just was wondering if it would hurt liverock
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry man. I misread your first post. For some reason I thought you were asking if you should add all your fish while cycling. Just reach over and smack me.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its ok!! Im very new to this SW stuff what should my parameters be for a nano tank!!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am pretty new too but, parameters should be the same no matter that size. Once cycled, they should be Am 0, Nitrite 9, Nitrate less than 10. Lots of other things to watch if you are doing a reef tank. Are you testing your water yourself? It not, I recommend it. I was told API had good kits and I bought the Saltwater Master and the Reef Master. Later, I found out they are not the most reliable. Ask around and see what everyone recommends then start running your own test. The directions tell you what the levels should be at.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Keep everything at < 0ppm (less then) once cycle takes place you should never see ammo or nitrites rise unless something is decaying or something is wrong. Pending on what kinda tank you have will determin what level is acceptable for your nitrates. I have seen FO systems with as high as 50 ppms (don't recommend this) FOWLR could be a bit lower and of course with a reef you would want to keep it as low as possible, closer to 0ppm the better! Lol

Hope this helps

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com