Dirty Sand Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well my tank is much much better so that could be the case. But I still believe that after a few days or a week, the sand starts to get a dirty layer on top and I get pink circles on the glass. The snails seem to die quick.. Not sure. They smell awful too.

The pink circles might be coralline algae it's the good stuff the only problem sounds like its growing on the front of the tank which ya don't want. Scape it off and let it grow on the back wall. Other then that sounds like all is doing well.

That's what I do and the back wall is literally covered in it. It's actually good stuff? Interesting.

How often do you clean the power head? What are the best ways to clean it?

Unplug it and take it apart. Let it soak in a bucket of vinegar. After 24 hours pull it out and brush it off with a tooth brush. Rinse it in rodi water and put it back together. Now it's. Lean and ready to go. Though after reassembling it I would put it in the rodi water and just let it run for a few min to push anything off of the blades.

I seem to be having an issue with my power head.. It seems to be sucking water in and I can only feel water being blown out the sides a little.. Any clue or does that mean it needs to be cleaned? First time having a powerhead..

Take it out and see if anything is clogging the propeller cover. I would also check to see if the blades are all ok. Did you take it apart?

I had to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in and now it's working properly. I kept checking it and nothing was clogging it or broken. I have never taken it apart but it seems to be creating flow now. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom