Dirty Sand Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kvark27

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, this forum looks like it will help me out with my tank so here is my first post! My sand keeps getting pretty brown on the top. I have had multiple CUC in my tank that seem to help but they die off and then everything gets dirty. I try getting most of the empty shells out but I'm not sure if that is even the problem. Any help will be much appreciated!

I attached a picture I took so you guys can see. It basically turns that color everywhere in the tank.

Kyle

Attachments

• image-1814938747.jpg
    image-1814938747.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 362
Wow that looks real bad... The reason they are not surveying is probably sue to bad water conditions. How long has your tank been running? What are your water parameters and how often do you do water changes... You might also be over feeding your fish... And what is the bio material you use?

The tank has been running for about a year now. I don't feed that much since I only have 4 fish in there right now. It's a 28 gallon nano that has all the filters built in on back. I use to change 5 gallons every Sunday but once it started getting this dirty I began changing about 10 gallons a week.

I do not know all my parameters right now. I get my water from a LFS that makes the salt water in their warehouse so they test everything I buy.

Thanks for the reply.

Now long back did this start up... Do you clean the glass and vacuum the sand when you do the water changes?

Have you tried fixing a uv sterilizer...?

This started probably 2-3 months ago and I bought another CUC that my LFS sets up for you for the 28g Nano they sell. Then I started changing more of the water as much as I could. The sand seemed to stay clean for about a month or so and now it's back. I'm not sure what a uv sterilizer is, this is my first saltwater tank.

Well a uv sterilizer is basically a uv light that you fit on to the tank and it kills harmful algae causing bacteria... This is my one... I think you need to first check your water parameters. How often do you clean your filter?

I have a 10 gal but I run a uv and a skimmer and all is good...

View attachment 93587

View attachment 93588

Oh ok. Every time I change the water, I take out the sponges and simply wring them out in the water I have siphoned out. Then put them back in after I replace the (black media) in the middle compartment of my filter.

I don't know how I would hook anything up to this tank because it is all in one under a cover. Here is a picture of the whole setup. I also think I may have too much rock which I regret now because I wish there was more open water. But take a look at the picture and let me know what you think. Thanks again for helping.

Attachments

• image-3106067403.jpg
    image-3106067403.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 290
  • image-2328734367.jpg
    image-2328734367.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 274
  • image-2157244407.jpg
    image-2157244407.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 274
I don't think you have too much of rock... Cause I have seen people with much more love rock than that is their tanks...

Best thing is get your water tested as fast as possible and I recommend buying a hydrometer and making the water yourself just till the sand issue clears up. I use red sea salt it is really good so try an get that an keep the salt levels between 1.022 to 1.023. Use Mineral water very important. You can also run the lights less. Less light means the algea will die. Also feed the fish twice a day but pinches at a time so nothing falls to the bottom... Do you have snails in the tank? If you don't get about 10 snails in their...

I may try making my own salt in the future but right now I live in a smaller apartment and it's very convenient that my LFS makes water for us. The CUC my store sells us has snails, hermit crabs, and a few other things. But they seem to die off. I am going to run to the store right now for some water and possibly snails and I'll check out the Blenny. You mentioned siphoning the sand or something too? I usually don't touch it since it seems to go all over the tank. I am learning more everyday about how to keep a tank clean.

I keep the main lights on from 1pm to 7pm ever since this algae showed up and then there are the dim blue night lights that are always on, the only way to turn those off are to unplug the lights.

Try turbo snails... And it is called a sand vacuum ... You can check it out on YouTube or your store will have it for sure...

Don't keep the lights on all night... Try and take the depth off do the fish etc can get their rest

What do you mean by take the depth off? Just turn the blue ones off also?

No problem at all... Keep me updated... I am off to sleep cause it is 2 in the morning here... Will check back after some shut eye :)

Yes yes just turn all lights off at night... Sorry about that my spell check has a mind of it's own at times :)

Thanks! This came with my hose i use to siphon the water. Is this for my sand? Not sure how to use it... Haha!

Attachments

• image-3130388680.jpg
    image-3130388680.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 87
Yes just fix it to the end of the hose and hold it down on the sand till it pulls the sand quarter way up the vacuum area and then pull it up and let the San flow out and settle... Don't worry about sand floating around... Don't drag it along the bottom just keep placing it down an lifting it up...

Well I just got back from the fish store and did a quick 10 gallon water change, siphoned the sand, cleaned the sponges, and added a Fighting Conch! My LFS said these will help clean up my sand bed. The the sand vacuum seemed to help too so I will post pictures when I can.

Thanks again for the help.

Those are not cures, they are band-aids. You need to find out what is causing it. It comes from excess nutrients in the water. We really need concrete test results. More than likely you are over feeding or the lights are on too long, maybe both.

Back
Top Bottom