Dwarf Octopus DIY Nano tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a little late, but make sure you QT feeder fish if you do go that route. They carry some nasty diseases and such.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
I'm a little late, but make sure you QT feeder fish if you do go that route. They carry some nasty diseases and such.

Perhaps I won't use feeder fish, maybe put a damsel in there once a month as a treat, it would be nice if I could keep a damsel in there permanently but that will be up to the octopus!

Not really, it'll just be a miserable life for the damsel, constantly running and hiding. Although if he does not chase and bother the damsel, go right ahead

-Dylan

Anyone know what size PVC I should use...

I want to drain about 700GPH from the DT tank to the sump. Would a 1" drain be sufficient?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I'm tagging along on this one, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, good luck.

I have made a rough diagram of how I would like the tank built. I have found a company that can build the tank for $100 cheaper than it would be to DIY it!

The tank will look simular to the photograph below and every panel except for the front viewing panel and the top/ lid will be solid black.

All 3/8" Acrylic including the top that will be a solid piece of acrylic cut to fit (octopus is not escaping, this will be the Alcatraz of aquariums!).

The tank will have 3 holes cut in the bottom (behind the overflow section), one 1" drain (center) and two 3/4" returns either side. I have requested the teeth for the overflow be cut as small as possible, they will be 1/4". Just to be sure i plan on putting a plastic mesh behind the teeth, just to be sure. The teeth will be 6" wide (centered) and 1-1/4" deep.

The tank is a custom order so may take a while to build and arrive. In the meantime I have the plumbing, sump, and stand to design.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 1.38.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-03-16 at 1.38.52 PM.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 156
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 154
Im not use to these kind of setups, what's the company's name?

-Dylan

Dylan5359 said:
Im not use to these kind of setups, what's the company's name?

-Dylan

I actually found them on eBay (search: rimless aquarium) they make quality tanks and I emailed them with my diagram and specs and they agreed to build it exactly how I want it, they charged $200, which is great considering the Acrylic shops around here were asking $350 for the acrylic to be cut. So this seems to be the better choice and I still get exactly what I wanted. I'm now planning a 15G sump, just to house a filter sock, protein skimmer, UV light, LR rubble, and the return pump.

Is it Advance Acrylics? Zer0 has a build thread for a shallow 17g from them, he seems to like his a lot.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
Is it Advance Acrylics? Zer0 has a build thread for a shallow 17g from them, he seems to like this a lot.

That's the one! They look sweet

Swimzebras said:
How's the tank comin? Any progress?

I had to delay the order, just trying to sell a few old tanks to get enough money, hoping to order it in a week or so. A little set back but I will have it soon!

Has anyone experience with Eshopps reef sumps?

Specifically I'm looking at the RS-75, 18" x 10" x 16".

I'm planning on flowing around 500GPH through it with a 1" inlet and 3/4" outlet.

Just curious on peoples thoughts of them, room for a decent sized skimmer?

Thanks

Sry not sure about the tank info but I'm glad ur still going to do this! Keep us posted!

Swimzebras said:
I have heard the same, but expensive

I actually think for the quality they are the price is pretty fair, especially since I am having it made to order. I can't wait, should be ordering it next week!

Back
Top Bottom