Edge lighting bust up!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danbone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guy I just started my tank around 2 month ago and all was going great I converted the fluval edge for marine and had a goby and pistol shrimp in there with no problem. I recently tried a coral in there pulsing Xenia and it was growing well for the last few days but yesterday all the lights stop working, I think something in the lighting unit or plug has gone rather than the bulbs.

I need to move fast to keep this little guy alive does anyone know anything about the lighting for the edge which it could be or I can do to fix it? (just to let you guys know it was LEDs in there and I have 2 strips of LEDs that do still work because they are wired separately but it won't be enough to keep it alive for long) or perhaps some sort of light I can get and use temp while I figure this out!

Thanks innadvance!!

you don't need to move fast. the xenia will live for weeks without the light working. what kind of LEDs are you talking about? have they already made something to retro the edge with, or did you just use those plug in LED bulbs?

Oh sound then! I was worrying it may die!!! Yea if you go to the led shop uk they do a package for it which gives it some decent power the it's 2 strip of 6 cool whit LEDs that still work making about 6500 k each (I don't know much about then it's just what it says to be honest) and 2 led Cree replacement bulbs for the hood which produce about the same again so they say! (these are the too that are refusing to work now)

i saw a guy with a video stating he glued some plastic disks over the lamps to stop the salt water from ruining them. that guy wasn't using these 1 watt lamps though. you are going to have to test to see how much heat they are putting out.
the website says "This equates to having 50 - 60 Watts of halogen light in the tank."
i don't know if i would feel comfortable keeping corals under that lighting, until i found out what sort of PAR was put out.

how long have you had the tank? how long has the xenia been in it? is that the only coral in there?

i have to admit, if i was going to do a nano, i would want to use one of these tanks. they are really neat.

yeah the LED bulbs need to be sealed, i've read people using nail polish topcoat to do it.

and X i agree if my GF stops liking hers (fat chance!) im gonna make a nano FOWLR

Yea I read that you add things in slowly so I had the tank about 3 month added the live rock about 2 month ago fish and shrimp about 2 weeks ago and the xenia has only been in about 5 days yea it's the only coral. You think even with that upgrade still not enough light?

i don't know. i don't even know how much PAR "50-60 watts of halogen light" puts out. there is a reason no one uses halogen over reef tanks. i know one of the reasons is heat, but not sure about output capability.

It's not, it's an LED upgrade. I just read it yea sorry it's led but it says the equivalent of 50-60 watt halogen but it's actuly LED

i understand that. what i am referring to is that they compare it to a 50-60 watt halogen bulb, when no where in the hobby has anyone tested a halogen bulb for output.

Oh I see well I've just had a though my mate has lent me his T5 lights while I repair mine. It's Probly not been done before as far as I know but thinking of getting one the length of the tank (this ones longer) and then cutting off the plastic light fixture leaving just a couple of arms and attaching the t5 to it so they will swivel out the way if need like the original! That would sort it no problem. Just gotta see how I can attach them together an if the arms cab hold the weight! What ya think? Doable?

Back
Top Bottom