Equipment Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm ready to start shopping for some items I will need for my future 29g reef setup.
Starting with powerheads. I've been trying to research but I'm not finding a lot of info that matches from site to site....soooo....
What should I look into getting? From what I have read it does look like I will need two of them ...is that correct?
Thanks! More questions to follow for sure lol.

I have a 29 gallon and I only use one, but I have a large hob filter rated for 120 gallons so I have enough flow. Are you using a sump? What will your filtration be?

I have a 29 gallon and I only use one, but I have a large hob filter rated for 120 gallons so I have enough flow. Are you using a sump? What will your filtration be?

No Sump and filtration will just be live rock maybe? Still need to do some more research on how exactly I want to set that up...if I don't end up getting the cube I want then I am just gonna use my AC50 but not positive what I will use inside of it yet. Rock rubble probably? Idk ppl say you don't even need a filter if u have enough LR.

No Sump and filtration will just be live rock maybe? Still need to do some more research on how exactly I want to set that up...if I don't end up getting the cube I want then I am just gonna use my AC50 but not positive what I will use inside of it yet. Rock rubble probably? Idk ppl say you don't even need a filter if u have enough LR.

I've got a 10g with a 300gph HOB and to Hydor 240 wavemakers. From what I've been told, and I quote, "Until your fish a pressed against the glass, you can't have too much." That being said my tank is fierce on the flow, you should see when I drop in the food, its like a windstorm in my tank.

As for LR, its really up to you and how you want in to look. Don't forget 1-2 lbs per gallon, I've got about 18-19 lbs and I love how my reef looks. I've just started building it and added a small colony of Zoa's last night. I put some rubble in but those were finishing touches, I've got two pieces that weigh 5lbs and 4 others that are about 1.5lbs each. I suppose rubble is how you define it... Stick with it and have fun!
:popcorn:

Thanks! I'm thinking of buying a Marineland Maxi Jet 400...I've read mixed reviews about it but for $17 you just can't beat it. Plus I can switch between circulation pump and powerhead. And from what I've read - even if it ends up not working out for my tank I can use it for mixing water during water changes which is well worth the $17 I think. Anything to make the hobby more efficient right?

Thanks! I'm thinking of buying a Marineland Maxi Jet 400...I've read mixed reviews about it but for $17 you just can't beat it. Plus I can switch between circulation pump and powerhead. And from what I've read - even if it ends up not working out for my tank I can use it for mixing water during water changes which is well worth the $17 I think. Anything to make the hobby more efficient right?

Where are you getting it for $17.00? Link?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-powerheads/11442-526460/marineland-maxi-jet-water-pump-and-powerhead.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CPbuo8O23rUCFUhV4AodLyUAFg

Actually found it even cheaper! I see now that I'd need a larger one as I thought the powerhead was the larger number. But even still - CHEAP!
I have read about the suction cups being pretty bad but I wonder if I could rig something up to make it better.
One concern is I've read it can heat up the water some - again a good thing for mixing the water....
I think I will do some more review reading and weigh the pros and cons. :)

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-powerheads/11442-526460/marineland-maxi-jet-water-pump-and-powerhead.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CPbuo8O23rUCFUhV4AodLyUAFg

Actually found it even cheaper! I see now that I'd need a larger one as I thought the powerhead was the larger number. But even still - CHEAP!
I have read about the suction cups being pretty bad but I wonder if I could rig something up to make it better.
One concern is I've read it can heat up the water some - again a good thing for mixing the water....
I think I will do some more review reading and weigh the pros and cons. :)

Look at the Hydor's they incorporate a fairly strong magnet in the suction cup, magnets hardly ever die so the suction cup is the back up not the primary.

Back
Top Bottom