Evans 20 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obscurereef said:
I know fish stores don't guarantee livestock to survive, but maybe you can tell them that your coral did fine at first then died for some reason (include info about parameters) and you no longer want to shop there...something like that, but kinder and maybe they'll offer you some credit or another frag.

I have never liked that store and they are jerks there :/ that's why for most things that don't include livestock, I go to petco instead of there. I am all for supporting lfs, but when they are jerks, I don't mind at All going to petco. For my livestock needs from now on I'm going to be going to a further lfs that I actually trust! I hate how all the good stores are 30 miles from my house :(

I think you said you were from Southern Cali. Don't know if you live by them, but there are a lot of saltwater stores in Kearny Mesa.

Yeah! Those are the ones 30 miles away haha! Im in chula vista which is really southern California haha

Oh what was the store that you didn't like? Too bad they're so far :/. All the SW stores that I know of are Octupus Gardens, AquaSD(fav.), Aquatic Warehouse, Reef Dreams, and Pet Kingdom and they are roughly in the same area.

obscurereef said:
Oh what was the store that you didn't like? Too bad they're so far :/. All the SW stores that I know of are Octupus Gardens, AquaSD(fav.), Aquatic Warehouse, Reef Dreams, and Pet Kingdom and they are roughly in the same area.

Aqua sd and octopuss garden are my favorites too!

It's called southbay pets! It's the only sw store within 10miles of me :/

Never heard of them and I guess I won't be going there then. :lol: I went to Octupuss Garden several times before I set up my tank and man is Ron (owner) a talker! I've had a hard time breaking up the conversation and going home! I also went one time where he had a volunteer who started a conversation that lasted an hour and a half! It's hard to go in and out of there if he's working there. A while back in 2011, Ron said that his business wasn't doing good and he was most likely going to close in Feb of this year. Good thing he didn't, but it's too bad he doesn't sell small frags or have a website or some type of advertisement to help his business. Anyway, just really cool to know someone who goes there!

obscurereef said:
Never heard of them and I guess I won't be going there then. :lol: I went to Octupuss Garden several times before I set up my tank and man is Ron (owner) a talker! I've had a hard time breaking up the conversation and going home! I also went one time where he had a volunteer who started a conversation that lasted an hour and a half! It's hard to go in and out of there if he's working there. A while back in 2011, Ron said that his business wasn't doing good and he was most likely going to close in Feb of this year. Good thing he didn't, but it's too bad he doesn't sell small frags or have a website or some type of advertisement to help his business. Anyway, just really cool to know someone who goes there!

Haha I know he is! But he really cares about his fish and stuff! And prices there on things besides coral are usually awesome! I would buy all things that's not coral there :) but aqua ad is awesome for corals, I love going there!

Haha I know he is! But he really cares about his fish and stuff! And prices there on things besides coral are usually awesome! I would buy all things that's not coral there :) but aqua ad is awesome for corals, I love going there!

Yeah his colonies are crazy awesome though. Aqua SD gets new shipments almost every 3 days. Just when I bought something, they have something new that I want! :lol:

Little update: tank is doing well! Did a big cleaning after the power head fell over the weekend. All corals are doing well! Cleaner shrimp, goby and pistol all doing great!

Attachments

• image-518286435.jpg
    image-518286435.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 144
  • image-2383776698.jpg
    image-2383776698.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image-479478574.jpg
    image-479478574.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3081622261.jpg
    image-3081622261.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 127
Some more pics:

Attachments

• image-1410248701.jpg
    image-1410248701.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1976203864.jpg
    image-1976203864.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 122
Looks awesome! Do u know if its normal not to see a goby(yellownose) for days or weeks? I think it's burrowed under a rock or dead?

Horvy19 said:
Looks awesome! Do u know if its normal not to see a goby(yellownose) for days or weeks? I think it's burrowed under a rock or dead?

I'm probably not the right person to ask as I am new to saltwater and reefs, but I personally see my goby and shrimp everyday. I have heard stories of people who haven't seen their gobies and shrimp for days or weeks And then they eventually come out. But if I didn't see my goby or shrimp for 2 days I would be a little worried, personally. Hope this helps!

Horvy19 said:

There are times I don't see my yellow goby or pistol shrimp for 3-4 days, and then there they'll be. Makes me wanna get a tiny camera and look inside that huge burrow they have. Lol.

I just read this entire thread and am jealous. lol. I have a 10 gallon tank now that i have 1 clown in, i bought an anenome for it but its so big and didnt attach to any of my live rock yet. I am in the process of cleaning a 55 empty tank to make it saltwater so hopefully it survives until its fully cycled and matured. Newbie mistake i made at my LFS i drove kinda far too. I am thinking about getting a goby and pistol shrimp combo as well. I always go to petco so i hope they have it this weekend. I hope your tanks doing well it looks really good.

I also have an emerald crab and a pepermint shrimp my girlfriend bought me. Its so interesting to watch but it hids most of the time.

TommyP said:
I just read this entire thread and am jealous. lol. I have a 10 gallon tank now that i have 1 clown in, i bought an anenome for it but its so big and didnt attach to any of my live rock yet. I am in the process of cleaning a 55 empty tank to make it saltwater so hopefully it survives until its fully cycled and matured. Newbie mistake i made at my LFS i drove kinda far too. I am thinking about getting a goby and pistol shrimp combo as well. I always go to petco so i hope they have it this weekend. I hope your tanks doing well it looks really good.

I also have an emerald crab and a pepermint shrimp my girlfriend bought me. Its so interesting to watch but it hids most of the time.

Haha I'm glad you have enjoyed it! :) this was my first sw tank, and I am so thankful everyone on this forum has helped me!

I'm jealous you have an empty 55 haha! My biggest tank is a 40 and it's freshwater! I really want to go bigger!

Best of luck to you with your tank! Just watch out for the emerald crab, they can pick at corals! I had to return mine

Yea I noticed that. I have some frags I believe I honestly dont know what they are . small ball looking things and they open up and some are blue and orange. he leaves them alone. I also have 4 small looking mushroom like corals that he doesnt bother either. Pics are on one of my threads if you wanted to check it out. Thanks for the luck! im sure ill need it when i get the money/time to do the 55.

Looks really good. Great job and I like the scape! I moved my rocks around for an hour before trying to find a better way for it look. Here's my tanks

image-2006548773.jpg

image-2214922647.jpg

image-825238053.jpg

TommyP said:
Looks really good. Great job and I like the scape! I moved my rocks around for an hour before trying to find a better way for it look. Here's my tanks

I feel you haha! My scaping is still ... Ehh... But I'm getting some more live rock soon!

Great tanks!! Can't wait to follow the 55 build!

Back
Top Bottom