Evans 20 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evansimp said:
Yeah a cleanup crew Will be first! Il ask you guys what to get when that time comes! Should I wait till the tank is completely cycled before I get any CUC? Guy at my respectable lfs said to wait a week after I set up the tank an then get CUC, but I thought I had to wait longer.

I would wait until its cycled.

Update for today! Ammonia is dropping! It's at about 2.

Used a 5in1 test strip I had, and nitrites and nitrites are up! Ph is between 7.5 and 8! Things going well I think! And I did some rescaping but it was to cloudy to take a pic!

Also! My girlfriend got me an awesome new phone case! :) photography is my main hobby!

Attachments

• image-3051766976.jpg
    image-3051766976.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image-582549253.jpg
    image-582549253.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 251
Would this work in my 12 gallon tank? Would it count as a fish or more like CUC? Thanks

Attachments

• image-4259537575.jpg
    image-4259537575.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 267
Evansimp said:
Would this work in my 12 gallon tank? Would it count as a fish or more like CUC? Thanks

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1635+96&pcatid=96

It would count as a fish. I have heard and read that they are difficult to keep. They are actually a dragonet (like a mandarin) and need a well established tank with a really large amount of Copepods. They can be trained to eat frozen foods but it takes commitment.

Clown gobies are really cute and petco sells them. I have my petco ordering some in for me to pick from next week. I have a 5 gal tank. Yellow, citrine, blue green, black, green... I get first pick of whatever comes in before they put them I'm their tanks. :)

Bearchumjs said:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1635+96&pcatid=96

It would count as a fish. I have heard and read that they are difficult to keep. They are actually a dragonet (like a mandarin) and need a well established tank with a really large amount of Copepods. They can be trained to eat frozen foods but it takes commitment.

Clown gobies are really cute and petco sells them. I have my petco ordering some in for me to pick from next week. I have a 5 gal tank. Yellow, citrine, blue green, black, green... I get first pick of whatever comes in before they put them I'm their tanks. :)

Great to know! Thanks! I just saw It today when I was getting a magnet cleaner and thought it looked awesome! I may get one later on down the road :)

Yea they are tough to keep in new systems. You will either have to wait until your system matures or prepare to buy Copepods to feed it.

I have one in my 7 gallon.
I think most of the ones at petco have been trained for frozen.

I don't even know what Copepods are :O

I saw on live aquaria it said they get to 5inches and At petsmart it says 2inches. Maybe they mislabeled the fish? I wasn't planning on getting any fish at petco anyways, but that fish looked really neat and seemed to fit a 10 gallon well. But the thing could be a juvenile still!

Having 2 clowns with a blenny would be way overstocking a 10 gallon right? I mean I know clowns is still cutting it close!

Maybe that blenny and 2 of the fire gobys? I Think that's the name of them...

Evansimp said:
Having 2 clowns with a blenny would be way overstocking a 10 gallon right? I mean I know clowns is still cutting it close!

Maybe that blenny and 2 of the fire gobys? I Think that's the name of them...

I think fire gobies (firefish- those red and white ones) will fight with each other unless they are a mated pair.

I wonder if you could do 1 clown, 1 firefish, and the scooter Blenny?
(I'm not an expert on stocking and what is overstocked. Someone else will chime in!)

They had 2 fire fish together at petco today! Might be a mated pair! Yeah I still have a ways to go before I can get fish anyways! :) I'm gonna test the water a little later tonight to see how the cycle is doing! :)

Bearchumjs said:
I would have to see it eat before I bought it. Just to be sure.

That's actually exactly what I did! :D
There was a guy there who managed the saltwater and actually knew what he was talking about.
He ate right there in the shop and eats like a pig in my tank.

Nightly update! Rescape, ammonia and nitrate tests etc.

Ammonia is dropping! :) nitrates and nitrites are up! Cycle is doing well I'd say!

Did a little Rescape! Whatcha guys think? (I'm a newb I know)

Attachments

• image-2974348045.jpg
    image-2974348045.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3194734130.jpg
    image-3194734130.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image-3734881876.jpg
    image-3734881876.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 244
If i were you i would try and create a higher up scape with more arches :p

Attachments

• image-280693865.jpg
    image-280693865.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 302
I agree with nu-nu. It would Look great if you could make an arch or some caves.

The cycling is coming along good! It'll be finished in no time!

There's more caves then appear on the picture, but I do agree! It needs to be higher but I can't get I higher with the rocks I have! Think I may need to buy one more smaller rock! :)

How many pieces do you have? It looks to me like 3 big pieces. You could try to move the two outer pieces a little closer together and put the big middle piece on them to make a cave that way.

If it's really more smaller pieces then you could try to have a mountain on each side and leave it open in the middle.

Or try a large mountain thing on one side and see how that looks.

Convict is really good at giving aquascaping advice.

Back
Top Bottom