feeding chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCMA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

I picked up a chromis earlier today and gave feeding him a try. I read that they are big eaters but when I gave him some (previously frozen) mysis shrimp he wasn't a big fan. Do you think the pieces were too big for it? He did go for the sinking pellet food, however. The LFS I got him at said they have been feeding him both types of food so I am not sure why he didn't go for it. Any other suggestions for feeding this type of fish? Thanks.

I soak my frozen in garlic guard and the fish go crazy (no longer than 30 mins).

I have chromis and I wouldn't characterize them as "big eaters" at all. Probably eat the same, maybe less, than an equal size clownfish.

Either way, it normally takes a day or two after acclimation for a fish to really start eating like normal. There's a lot going on in those little bodies during the first few days in a new tank, and eating it just not high on the priority list.

Over feeding any fish means they produce more waste. And any fish that wont eat isnt good. It could be that he is just stressed and needs to settle in.

Let me ask you this , does he swim around or lay around? Does he breath hard or surface alot?

Agree with above. Probably still kinda stressed out from the move and still acclimating to your tank and water parameters. Keep a close eye on him for any signs of illness over the next couple days. Soak in garlic as suggested. I wouldn't worry about it unless he still isn't eating after 2 days or so of being in the tank.

Thanks guys, I will give it a couple days and see how he does. In response to Lance's question, he swims around a lot, seems to be pretty active/curious about what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom