filter for a 10gal nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoarderX47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys I went to the fish store today and dave (guy who hepled me with all of 30gal FW setup) recomended that for my 10gal nano I should get the Fluval 105 canister out of tank filter. I was wondering if that is a good choice or is there something better.

I like my fluvial. Can you just get an HOB filter instead? They are easier to clean.

yeah i asked them about just getting an aqua clear HOB filter for it they said it would work but that that fluval canister would be better. i also saw submersible fluval filters do you know how well those work? as for being easy to clean that really doesnt bother me much.

I've never had a canister filter so take my advice for what it's worth...

I've read a lot about canisters becoming nitrate factories if they aren't meticulously cleaned.
I've also read about quite a few aquarists who recommend removing the filtering material and just using the canister to push water.

As for my nanos, some of them get all the filtration they need from LS and LR alone.
I've also tried various form of HOB filters and in-tank and HOB fuges.
(Marineland HOB filters have the absolute worst track record with me.)
The best thing I've tried so far is taking an Aquaclear 110, removing all the filter media, and turning it into a type of HOB fuge with LR and Cheato.
That tank just about runs on autopilot.

Well that's my limited knowledge and opinion. Hope it helps.

loyalrogue said:
I've read a lot about canisters becoming nitrate factories if they aren't meticulously cleaned.
I totally agree, at least to a certain extent. I found that when I removed the sponges (total nitrAte factories), I didn't have the problems, I also removed the carbon and with this combo, I reduced the nitrAtes quite a bit.
You will still have to clean out the filter, at least once a month and rinse it out, along with the media (I only have the ceramic rings in mine now). If it isn't cleaned, it will become a nitrAte factory, since all the gunk will just sit in there.

I had a fluval 104 on my 10 gallon hex for over six months till I sold the thing. It was fabulous! First, if you dont take care of the flter, of course it will accumulate debris and make nitrates! Second, it was convenient to clean and take care of. All I had to was unsnap the locks, stop the flow, and take her apart. I did this evevry 2 weeks because of the amount of debris it caught in there. I swear that it was like a filter/protein skimmer combo it was so good! I loved it and would recommend it to everyone! If you can afford one, get it! You won't regret it!

By the way, I used the sponges, but not the carbon cause I didnt want it to absorb the nutrients I dosed the tongue coral. I used seachem matrix instead. The sponges I just rinsed out under water from the tank. All was well and clear- no problems. Just take care of the filter with cleaning and she'll keep your tank in top condition!

Back
Top Bottom