Filtration for 10 Gal Nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Evening everyone,

I am a major newbie to saltwater aquariums and looking for advice. Over the years I have had great success in freshwater but the beauty of saltwater aquariums has drawn me in. I am in the process of starting off with a 10 gal nano to try my hand at saltwater aquariums.

Over the past couple weeks I have been slowly getting things I need for the aquarium itself, but have run across a "I'm not sure" moment. I am trying to figure out the best way to filter the tank. I have heard HOB filters are not great for saltwater aquariums but not sure what to use instead for this nano setup. If I do use a HOB type what type of medium should I use in it?

If anyone can offer any advise I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to be heading to the store tomorrow to pick up a few other things and was wanting to get help with this question before I go.

Much thanks for any help or advice,
David

If it were me i would get an aqualcear hang on filter. Big enough to run whatever chemical media you would like. I would run floss on the top, like the blue /white fluggy pad stuff, some purigen and chemipure ( or chemipure elite if you are going with corals) and call it good. The purigen and chemipure dont need to be replaced very often, it says 6 months but i usually went with 4 months or so and then replaced it. Very simple maintenance, just change the filter floss pad every few days and rinse the bags of media I suggested in old tank water to get rid of debris and you'll be set. :)

Hob filters are fine to run some chemical filtration, I use aqua clears on 3 different nano systems. As for media purigen or chemi pure elite work well

If it were me i would get an aqualcear hang on filter. Big enough to run whatever chemical media you would like. I would run floss on the top, like the blue /white fluggy pad stuff, some purigen and chemipure ( or chemipure elite if you are going with corals) and call it good. The purigen and chemipure dont need to be replaced very often, it says 6 months but i usually went with 4 months or so and then replaced it. Very simple maintenance, just change the filter floss pad every few days and rinse the bags of media I suggested in old tank water to get rid of debris and you'll be set. :)

Thank you very much Carey (y) I will check into these tomorrow while I am out. I know this is probably a stupid question but being new to SW tanks I have to ask, is the chemipure and purigen similar to the bio-balls?

They'll come in plastic containers can't miss them. You can get the smallest size for a 10, it's a 1/2 unit for the CPE and I forget what purigen calls it (may just be the small one).

The purigen will come in a little white baggie. ABout $8 or so depending on where you shop. You only need the one little baggie, not a larger size, just the baggie. :)

And the chemipure should run maybe $12 or so, tops.

The chemi pure elite has the extra additive that can help with algae by helping get phosphates low. The regular chemipure is good too but wont help with phosphates and its only a couple bucks cheaper than the elite.

The purigen will come in a little white baggie. ABout $8 or so depending on where you shop. You only need the one little baggie, not a larger size, just the baggie. :)

And the chemipure should run maybe $12 or so, tops.

The chemi pure elite has the extra additive that can help with algae by helping get phosphates low. The regular chemipure is good too but wont help with phosphates and its only a couple bucks cheaper than the elite.

Perfect! Can't wait to get to the Store tomorrow and find these. I know SW tanks take time but getting anxious lol.

Thanks Carey :)

The filter would work, but if you already have a filter laying around I wouldn't spend the extra money. The light is another thing, I have a feeling it would work for low light softies, or obviously a fowlr but if you want to do a mixed reef I would say look into some LEDs

The filter with uv isnt necessary, a regular ole cheaper hang on will be just fine. The uv part isnt really that useful to be honest. lol

AS for the light, I bet it would keep some softies, but there are better options out there, just depends on your budget.
:)

BigRed, Carey....

Many thanks, I though the UV would be beneficial since I know a lot of bigger systems have them separate but if not necessary now will by pass it then.

LED huh? Makes sense....I have a led on my freshwater and love the way it looks, I can only imagine how nice it would be on a SW tank. Will see what I can find and post a link here for feedback....I am wanting to do this the right way lol.

The taotronics panels or a par38 would work well for your tank. The first are very strong and will let you keep any photosynthetic animal you like, the par bulbs are nice for there simplicity and they are easier to mount than the Taos. I'll post some links a little later you can look at
Edit: both are around $100

The taotronics panels or a par38 would work well for your tank. The first are very strong and will let you keep any photosynthetic animal you like, the par bulbs are nice for there simplicity and they are easier to mount than the Taos. I'll post some links a little later you can look at
Edit: both are around $100

Great! Thanks BigRed, will keep my eye's open :)

Nope burn with fire! Jk but the marineland single bright, and double bright don't put out enough par to grow any corals. Go with a par38, great spectrum and pretty cheap

I'm running the current orbit leds right now on the 40b with some pretty impressive results.

I agree, with the size tank a par38 would be a good option. :) You can get them alot cheaper than $100 as well, my par38 was only $20 bucks or so on amazon. I bought the gooseneck clamp for like $30 and was done.

Back
Top Bottom