First corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I'm going to get my first corals early next week going to be all soft just want some advice for when I get it to keep it alive

As long as you have the required lighting to keep the corals all you have to do is keep the trace minerals and calcium level high enough for them. This is easier to do with smaller amounts of coral but becomes a more regular task when you add more corals. Some corals require feeding but not many soft corals require it.

I got the right lighting and I'm going to buy a API master reef kit

Do not waste your money.... for keeping soft corals, the phosphate & nitrate tests are going to be your most important, and the API tests are nowhere near sensitive enough (trust me.... mine are sitting on a shelf). When (or if) you start getting into LPS, and especially SPS, then alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium are going to come into play.
When it comes to reef testing, don't skimp.... Red Sea & Salifert make good quality test kits, and Hanna checkers are about top of the line.

Last edited:
Thanks for that ill order a different set of test kits then I am new to it all still and API were the only brand I have used so far

I did the same thing.... The API is great for fresh water, and the marine kit worked good for cycling the tank, and that's about it. Used the Reef Master kit once, then went & got Red Sea kits.

Yeah, they are a little bit more expensive, but they're much more accurate. And, you can buy reagent refills at a reasonable price once you have the kits. If you sign on for the next BRS group buy, they discount them occasionally.

Here's the first kit you want. You save about $20 buying this one over getting the two sets individually:
Red Sea Algae Control Multi Test Kit (NO3, PO4) - Bulk Reef Supply

Then you'll want to pick this one at some point, especially if you start picking up LPS and SPS:
Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit (Ca, KH, Mg) - Bulk Reef Supply

Cheers mate sounds good I get good deals at my LFS they really like me there so ill see how much they can do it for and they usually beat prices even if its off the net. Do you know much about corals and such I moved my live rock around today and found this the little yellow thing

Attachments

• image-2376951991.jpg
    image-2376951991.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 81
Pic's kinda fuzzy, but it looks like a yellow polyp to me..... Nice, bright color, but they typically have longer fingers. Here's a pic of mine......

Attachments

• photo42.jpg
    photo42.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 65
Drone what I have seen of it it sorta looks the same do polyps have a stem that they return into when they get touched because this thing is just out there on its own

Hmm maybe but it looks to me as tho it doesn't have something attaching it to a rock and it curls up into a ball if it is fully exposed but if there is a rock to cover the light it will extend and come out

Back
Top Bottom