First Nano Reef! Joey's Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up, AA!

I'm more than familiar with high tech planted tanks and have run a few. So a reef can't be that much more work than trimming 300 stems a week, right? All joking aside, im sure I'll catch some flack for going with a nano right off the bat but the way I see it, is if I can keep levels good and grow corals well in this I can in a bigger setup where it will be much easier. This won't be started till after Christmas because I need some things to come in. Some of which I'll be getting for Christmas. Here's the fun stuff!

Specs/Equipment:

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Light: Reefbreeders PAR 38 w/ Gooseneck mount. I'm hoping down the line this will allow me to venture into SPS if I wanted.

Circulation: Hydor Pico Evolution. I use one in my 60P and it would be perfect for this application.

ATO: I'm really thinking about getting an ATO for this since it is so small. The Hydor Smart Level is intriguing. Anyone use this?

Water: I'll torn between buying seawater or mixing. Advice is appreciated. I'll be getting an RO Unit for Christmas.

Test: I have the API line of tests. I also need to get a Refractometer. I don't want to use the normal hydrometers.

Goals:
I would like to start off with Zoas, softies, and LPS. Eventually, a few months later as the tank progresses and my knowledge and experience progress, I would love to try some easy SPS. For stocking I'm going to be keeping either a yellow clown goby or a single Ocellaris clown. I know I'll get stuff for this too, but I've seen it done and I'm going to try it. I'll be doing weekly 25% Water changes. I'll especially need help with a CUC. Any coral purchase will be ran by you guys first.

I'm going to learn by mistake and correct myself. I'm very excited to start this build. No pics as of yet, but it will be picture intensive.

What's up, AA!

I'm more than familiar with high tech planted tanks and have run a few. So a reef can't be that much more work than trimming 300 stems a week, right? All joking aside, im sure I'll catch some flack for going with a nano right off the bat but the way I see it, is if I can keep levels good and grow corals well in this I can in a bigger setup where it will be much easier. This won't be started till after Christmas because I need some things to come in. Some of which I'll be getting for Christmas. Here's the fun stuff!

Specs/Equipment:

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Light: Reefbreeders PAR 38 w/ Gooseneck mount. I'm hoping down the line this will allow me to venture into SPS if I wanted.

Circulation: Hydor Pico Evolution. I use one in my 60P and it would be perfect for this application.

ATO: I'm really thinking about getting an ATO for this since it is so small. The Hydor Smart Level is intriguing. Anyone use this?

Water: I'll torn between buying seawater or mixing. Advice is appreciated. I'll be getting an RO Unit for Christmas.

Test: I have the API line of tests. I also need to get a Refractometer. I don't want to use the normal hydrometers.

Goals:
I would like to start off with Zoas, softies, and LPS. Eventually, a few months later as the tank progresses and my knowledge and experience progress, I would love to try some easy SPS. For stocking I'm going to be keeping either a yellow clown goby or a single Ocellaris clown. I know I'll get stuff for this too, but I've seen it done and I'm going to try it. I'll be doing weekly 25% Water changes. I'll especially need help with a CUC. Any coral purchase will be ran by you guys first.

I'm going to learn by mistake and correct myself. I'm very excited to start this build. No pics as of yet, but it will be picture intensive.

Well the plan sounds great except for the ocellaris. Just because people have done it doesn't mean it is fair to the fish. They get 3" and do swim more than you'd think. How about a goby/shrimp pair? Those guys have an awesome relationship.

Well the plan sounds great except for the ocellaris. Just because people have done it doesn't mean it is fair to the fish. They get 3" and do swim more than you'd think. How about a goby/shrimp pair? Those guys have an awesome relationship.

I like that idea a lot. I like clown gobies, too.

I like that idea a lot. I like clown gobies, too.

All gobies are pretty awesome lol. They would be a great choice for a tank that small. If you wanna spend some $$$$ look into flaming prawn gobies.

All gobies are pretty awesome lol. They would be a great choice for a tank that small. If you wanna spend some $$$$ look into flaming prawn gobies.

That is one of the coolest fish I've ever seen. But I don't think I want to spend 100$ on a fish. Even if I had the money. :( I love mandarins but I realize i would basically kill it or spend a loaddddd of money supplementing pods.

good call on the mandarin. i have one in my 125 and it withered away to nothing in about 2 months. luckily hes eating pellets (for now). it extremely hard to gauge if a clown will be ok in a tank this size. main reason ive noticed is because its impossible to tell what each fishs swimming habits will be. for instance i have a snowflake clown that up until several months ago (when i bought my gold-stripe) she swam EVERYWHERE. now all she does is host the back right lower corner...all day... everyday.... so its hard to tell if a clown will be content with the tight swimming spaces. i think youd be best served looking elsewhere,

good call on the mandarin. i have one in my 125 and it withered away to nothing in about 2 months. luckily hes eating pellets (for now). it extremely hard to gauge if a clown will be ok in a tank this size. main reason ive noticed is because its impossible to tell what each fishs swimming habits will be. for instance i have a snowflake clown that up until several months ago (when i bought my gold-stripe) she swam EVERYWHERE. now all she does is host the back right lower corner...all day... everyday.... so its hard to tell if a clown will be content with the tight swimming spaces. i think youd be best served looking elsewhere,

I think I'm gonna go for a clown goby. I saw some really neat little ones at my LFS. Well, kinda local. They were about half an inch and really cute. I don't find fish cute but this one was. Haha ;)Yellow watchmen gobies are pretty cool too but I'm unaware of the size they reach. I need to check it out.

Also, I should add that I decided to go with a standard 5 gallon tank and an Aquaclear 50. It will give me more filtration and water volume. I decided this because I especially don't need the light since I'm going with a PAR 38 bulb. What kind of test should I get for Calcium and Magnesium. I'm assuming I need these, correct?

Be wary of the clown goby if you decide you want some sps. I know they will chew out parts of acropora to make their homes in. I think they will do it with birdsnest as well. Just a caution about clown gobies.

I'd try to go a little bigger than 5g... I can't wait till I can... Maybe a 12" rimless cube? Or go back to the AIO idea? An AIO would hide your heater and stuff... As far as CUC, Trochus snails are my favorite by far, and if you're gonna get hermits, try some scarlett red hermits.

I started with a spec v, was pretty successful for almost a year then my daughter fed the fish chicken and my tank crashed! All my fish died and 50% of my corals died dad well. Weekly 10% water changes, hydro pico pump with purigan and chemipure elite did the truck for me. I just picked up a 14 biocube that cycling as we speak. Oh yeah! My spec v is back up and running In perfect condition.

Also, I should add that I decided to go with a standard 5 gallon tank and an Aquaclear 50. It will give me more filtration and water volume. I decided this because I especially don't need the light since I'm going with a PAR 38 bulb. What kind of test should I get for Calcium and Magnesium. I'm assuming I need these, correct?

i use api master for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph and red sea reef foundation for calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. i was thinking about drilling my spec v and running it through my 75 when that is set up. imo if you really wanna do this, you should get a hob overflow instead of filter and do at least a 10 gallon sump. i will be following i want to see this turn out ;)

I'd try to go a little bigger than 5g... I can't wait till I can... Maybe a 12" rimless cube? Or go back to the AIO idea? An AIO would hide your heater and stuff... As far as CUC, Trochus snails are my favorite by far, and if you're gonna get hermits, try some scarlett red hermits.

I think I am going back to the AIO. I thought about how much more contained it will be and I like the clean look. Maybe I'll do a black background on it. I think black backgrounds on reef tanks look superb.

I started with a spec v, was pretty successful for almost a year then my daughter fed the fish chicken and my tank crashed! All my fish died and 50% of my corals died dad well. Weekly 10% water changes, hydro pico pump with purigan and chemipure elite did the truck for me. I just picked up a 14 biocube that cycling as we speak. Oh yeah! My spec v is back up and running In perfect condition.

Great to know! Thanks a lot. Should I just use rubble rock in the main compartment with the chemi pure and a polishing pad instead if the foam and everything that comes with it? Do you have any photos? This weekend I should be able to pick up the tank. I'm gonna need a stand for it too. It will be by my bed so I'm thinking one of the cheap ones from Petsmart.

Be wary of the clown goby if you decide you want some sps. I know they will chew out parts of acropora to make their homes in. I think they will do it with birdsnest as well. Just a caution about clown gobies.

I was unaware. Thanks for the notice. It should be awhile before I venture into SPS so I think I'm ok for now.

I was unaware. Thanks for the notice. It should be awhile before I venture into SPS so I think I'm ok for now.

Yeah I figured just thought I'd give the heads up :). They are still very cool gobies though

Back
Top Bottom