First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, I have a question. I'm really anxious to get corals and I'm wondering if it's ok if I get a blue mushroom before I get my light fixture? Would it do ok or should I wait? I have 2 15w t8s in my stock fixture.

I might contain myself lol I almost bought a small frag of red mushrooms but I don't have dip yet and I'm trying to recover from what I've spent this far :p I might get some soon but I'm in no rush for now.

Just a little update, the clowns are doing great, eating and all. I just started copper treatments so they should be in the DT in a week and a half.

I'm already thinking of upgrading this to a 30 long next spring as I would really like a 6 line wrasse and a red or green mandarin and that's apart from the 60 cube :p

Just a little update, the clowns are doing great, eating and all. I just started copper treatments so they should be in the DT in a week and a half.

I'm already thinking of upgrading this to a 30 long next spring as I would really like a 6 line wrasse and a red or green mandarin and that's apart from the 60 cube :p

Haha ill be upgrading to a 40 breeder in the spring so I know the feeling of having to small a tank lol :). Sounds like the clowns are doing great!

Haha ill be upgrading to a 40 breeder in the spring so I know the feeling of having to small a tank lol :). Sounds like the clowns are doing great!

CUC is doing great as well. I lost a bumblee and a small nassarius but all the new additions are doing great. I guess snails are just like that lol

Hermits are doing great but I couldn't find good sized shells for them so I ordered online. I just hope they'll be okay for 2 more weeks. I'll probably end up buying some more blue legs though.

Come to think of it, what I'm getting really depends on my upgrade. I'm debating between a 33 long 4 foot tank or a basic 30 gallon tank as a future upgrade.

Now, I was planning on just getting a AC50 for my current tank to increase flow and basically fill it with LR rubble. I figure it would be enough flow as my koralia 425 doesn't seem to cut it as the opposite side of the tank is growing cyano on the glass. Also, it would reduce nitrate buildup so it would be better for corals.

So, my questions are:

1. Would the AC50 alone be ok for a 33 long or 30 gallon tank? Or do I need to get a HOB skimmer?

2. I'm getting a single ebay 120W dimmable led light. Would it still be ok to use on a 4 foot tank? It's shallow so I'm more worried about spread. If I'm right, I think a single one would be fine for a regular 30G correct?

The ac50 should be enough, BUT you have to do your weekly water changes, no skipping. :)
A hangon skimmer or internal skimmer can be had for about $100 for a good quality nano skimmer, and it can only help.
The led panel should be fine for a 30g tank, but going to 4 footers and yes, you will have darker ends on either sides.

The ac50 should be enough, BUT you have to do your weekly water changes, no skipping. :) A hangon skimmer or internal skimmer can be had for about $100 for a good quality nano skimmer, and it can only help. The led panel should be fine for a 30g tank, but going to 4 footers and yes, you will have darker ends on either sides.

Perfect, thanks! I think I'm going to go with the AC50 for now and I might pick up a HOB skimmer when I upgrade. After all, I'm going to need another filter for my current tank which will is going to become my future QT for all my tanks.

I never expected SW to be so addicting compared to FW lol

Dont have to tell me about the addiction, I have like 8 or 9 tanks running right now. lol

Lol, I'm gonna have to contain myself for now. I think I'm going to be happy with my bedroom reef, the eventual 60 cube reef or fowlr, and discus tank. I'm saving the bigger tanks for when i get my own place.

Unfortunately my orange oce clown died yesterday :( he was breathing rapidly all day and my parameters were in check except for a trace amount of nitrate at 0.1. 50% water change didn't help. My only guess is lack of oxygen as I barely had surface agitation but my black clown is perfectly fine. If anyone wants to help solve this, I posted a thread in the sick fish section.

My black oce isn't looking to hot right now either :( he's showing the same symptoms as the orange oce that passed :( I'm hoping a water change and stronger prazi dosage is going to help :(

On a good note I'm getting coralline growth in my DT, it's only been about 5 weeks but this is distinct coralline growth! It's hard to see in the photo but it's there on the top rock :)

Attachments

• image-263540957.jpg
    image-263540957.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom