First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The red fire shrimp and skunj cleaner shrimp are going for around $24.99 each do they will definitely be the most expensive invert on your list.

Yeah, that's why I wanna add the shrimp close to last.

I tested my water just now and I'm a little confused. I have a little bit of ammonia, 0 nitrites, and a touch of nitrates. I'm gonna plop a shrimp in tonight.

I'm a little concerned about ph though. Based on my results it's in between 7.5-8 but I could just be eyes. I've attached photos of the results.

1st is ph, 2nd ammonia, 3rd nitrates.

Attachments

• image-18196529.jpg
    image-18196529.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image-468610910.jpg
    image-468610910.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2640572618.jpg
    image-2640572618.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 74
pH readings tend to start to drop very quickly. If you had time to grab the camera, the indication is probably lower than it really is. Also, I would consider getting a high range pH test kit instead of the Nutrafin Wide range.

pH readings tend to start to drop very quickly. If you had time to grab the camera, the indication is probably lower than it really is. Also, I would consider getting a high range pH test kit instead of the Nutrafin Wide range.

Ok, so ill try testing again and see what I can get.

I know but I'm working with what I've got. I'm probably going to invest into a better test kit once I'm ready for corals.

Yea but what if those test or way off then you add corals and there's problems. Better to know before you add corals will save you money and save your corals.

Yea but what if those test or way off then you add corals and there's problems. Better to know before you add corals will save you money and save your corals.

I am going to get a better test kit before I get corals.

Anyway, I tested ph again and it did read to be between 8.0-8.5 and then turned into the original color I uploaded here. I also forgot that my salt mix actually buffers the ph to around 8.1-8.3.

Just put a shrimp in the exit chamber of the filter. Gonna test the water in about 5 hours and then twice daily from there. Really hoping I see that ammonia and nitrite spike and drop quickly. Crossing my fingers lol miracles can happen haha

Attachments

• image-1057592554.jpg
    image-1057592554.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 75
Just put a shrimp in the exit chamber of the filter. Gonna test the water in about 5 hours and then twice daily from there. Really hoping I see that ammonia and nitrite spike and drop quickly. Crossing my fingers lol miracles can happen haha

I would leave it in the tank not the output put it in a panty hose the clean up is easier.

I would leave it in the tank not the output put it in a panty hose the clean up is easier.

The exit tube is raised so not much can really flow out. Tiny little box so clean up shouldn't be too bad.

It'll be 8hrs of lights on in an hour and temp only went from 79F to 80F so far. So that solves that.

Gonna test the water again in about an hour or two as well.

Last tests for the day read:

~0.8ppm ammonia
0 nitrite
5ppm nitrate

Not much change, hopefully I'll see an ammonia spike in the morning.

The tests this morning showed nothing new so I'm hoping tonight's testing shows otherwise.

The tests this morning showed nothing new so I'm hoping tonight's testing shows otherwise.

one more time..

patience is the key..

im sure the shrimp hasnt even started to decompose yet, its not going to happen overnight, test maybe 2x a week, tuesdays and thursdays and enjoy your weekends, its going to take a few weeks for the cycle to complete, and you wont get a cycle spike and drop of one of your parameters overnight, youll see it in the 2x a week testings, when your levels get high enough in about 2 wks or so, start testing 3x a week, like mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, and still enjoy your weekends. save your tests theyre gonna get expensive fast.

just remember..

dont rush it..

it'll happen..

(y)

one more time.. patience is the key.. im sure the shrimp hasnt even started to decompose yet, its not going to happen overnight, test maybe 2x a week, tuesdays and thursdays and enjoy your weekends, its going to take a few weeks for the cycle to complete, and you wont get a cycle spike and drop of one of your parameters overnight, youll see it in the 2x a week testings, when your levels get high enough in about 2 wks or so, start testing 3x a week, like mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, and still enjoy your weekends. save your tests theyre gonna get expensive fast. just remember.. dont rush it.. it'll happen.. (y)

Right... I always hated cycling haha

Right... I always hated cycling haha

whenever im cycling a new tank i leave the lights off and try to forget about it, even though im excited and giggly like a school girl waiting to buy fish lol i hate wait as well, everyone does.

whenever im cycling a new tank i leave the lights off and try to forget about it, even though im excited and giggly like a school girl waiting to buy fish lol i hate wait as well, everyone does.

Lol, I might pick up a smaller 10gal jebo for 35$ so maybe that'll keep me occupied. Maybe it'll be my QT or I'll start a neon/shrimp tank but that's off topic.

Anyway, I'd really like to add a nem in the tank once it matures and I get my lighting. I'm having trouble finding one that won't out grow my tank or is too much of a risk in a reef. Am I out of luck here or is there a particular species I can have?

Lol, I might pick up a smaller 10gal jebo for 35$ so maybe that'll keep me occupied. Maybe it'll be my QT or I'll start a neon/shrimp tank but that's off topic.

Anyway, I'd really like to add a nem in the tank once it matures and I get my lighting. I'm having trouble finding one that won't out grow my tank or is too much of a risk in a reef. Am I out of luck here or is there a particular species I can have?

are you set on an anemone..? how about a grape, torch, or a hammer..?

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Grape Coral - Aquacultured, USA, Euphyllia cristata

Torch Coral

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Hammer Coral

I really like the purple tip or metallic green torch coral. I'm only worried about it stinging other corals at night though. I'm gonna do some research on corals I'd like to keep and ill post them up here and see what you think. It'll keep my mind off the cycle too lol

If you like torches check out the orange torch corals! They are insane looking! Kinda expensive though lol. And clowns will host anything, mine have tried to host my powerheads, filter, and my Duncan coral!

Back
Top Bottom