First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im a torch and hammer fan myself, i really want one in my bedroom tank im just wating on my tank to mature.

If you like torches check out the orange torch corals! They are insane looking! Kinda expensive though lol. And clowns will host anything, mine have tried to host my powerheads, filter, and my Duncan coral!

Actually, one if the reasons I wanted a nem is for it to be hosted by my clowns but I really like the torch. Have you had any problems regarding it stinging other corals?

I might have a full list of corals that interest me tonight if I have time to do a little research and as far as test kits go the only extra ones I need when I get corals are calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity right?

I have a hammer and a frogspawn and have never had them sting anything. I never see sweeper tentacles from either of them and they are both in low flow. Duncans are also awesome corals and grow super fast! Go with the salifert kits for calc, alk, and mag. So much more accurate than API.

I have a hammer and a frogspawn and have never had them sting anything. I never see sweeper tentacles from either of them and they are both in low flow. Duncans are also awesome corals and grow super fast! Go with the salifert kits for calc, alk, and mag. So much more accurate than API.

I really like the giant green polyp Duncan! Really eye catching! I'm definitely gonna pick up some quality kits for those tests. Do I need to test phosphate though?

You probably should at least for the first couple of months, after that it should stay down at 0 but it's always nice to have if you get a nasty algae bloom.

You probably should at least for the first couple of months, after that it should stay down at 0 but it's always nice to have if you get a nasty algae bloom.

I'll definitely consider it when I start preparing for corals. I wanna take it slow though.

Gonna do some research on corals in a bit and ill post up my desired stock. Gonna do some tests too to make sure specific gravity and ph is in check.

Yeah let us know the corals you want. Let me warn you though they are the most addicting thing ever!

Alright, pH and specific gravity are stable which I'm happy with but I went ahead and did some other tests since I probably won't have time this weekend anyway. My ammonia slightly raised but not much maybe by .2 ppm, nitrite didn't really change still 0 or close to zero, but my nitrAtes seemed like they rose from about 5ppm to 10. Any explanation? I'm a little puzzled :s

It sounds like it is finishing up its cycle.

But I still have ammonia and this tank has only been up and running for not even a week. I did use live rock and live sand but it couldn't of cycled that fast, I didn't even get a high nitrite reading.

Jk then sounds like the cycle is just starting, sorry forgot how long you have had it. Ammonia will rise then nitrites and then your nitrates will skyrocket. The nitrates you see now are probably just leaching from the liverock.

Jk then sounds like the cycle is just starting, sorry forgot how long you have had it. Ammonia will rise then nitrites and then your nitrates will skyrocket. The nitrates you see now are probably just leaching from the liverock.

Oh ok makes sense lol

I had some time to look at corals. These are the ones I liked best:

Cauliflower coral
Nasuta acropora
Candy cane coral
Torch
Wellso folded brain coral
Flower pot coral
Blue mushroom
Ricordea mushroom
Giant green polyp Duncan

This is gonna be my light fixture:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/230890972845

Everything on that list looks fine except for the "flowerpot" or goniopora. Stuff just doesn't live long in home aquariums. Also the acro should be added down the line but everything else is beginner IMO

Alright, cool! Ill scratch the flowerpot coral.

Any suggestions for supplemental feeding? It is necessary right?

Coral acclimation is just really drip acclimation followed by a dip and then I can put it in my tank?

Alright, cool! Ill scratch the flowerpot coral.

Any suggestions for supplemental feeding? It is necessary right?

Coral acclimation is just really drip acclimation followed by a dip and then I can put it in my tank?

correct sir, ALWAYS dip, i learned the hard way, i lost alomst half of my watermelon zoa colony :nono:

Back
Top Bottom