First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would go with a topfin filter their cartridges are one of the last of their kind, the to-be-assembled ones, you can skip the carbon and just use the cartridge with no carbon it it, or just stuff it with polyfil floss, plus theyre mostly under $25 for a 10g or 20g rated.

Don't really sell topfin in my area an none on amazon either. Most of the used 5g I've seen around my area come with a Marina i25 internal filter. Basically an all in one media cartridge. That's why I'm probably just gonna stuff it with seeded filter floss. If it comes to me having to buy one I was looking at this one or the aqua clear mini.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000SP...qid=1381272439&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I'm more concerned about heaters though. I'm having trouble finding a small but accurate heater for a 5G. I've been looking at elite heaters since they're cheap but they don't have a temperature dial, just one that I have to play around with until I get my desired temp which could take days.

Just visited my lrs and was more than impressed. They had a lot if meds, foods, and supplies you don't normally see here. Also got a nice look at a rimless 60G cube that I'm more than likely to upgrade to in the future.

Fish looked healthy and active apart from a few but I think it was just their coloring. Saw a lot of fish I really liked, maybe when I upgrade. Inverts were all separated which was a good sign and corals looked extremely vibrant and healthy.

I took a look at the clown tank and they had a bunch of juve oce clowns but no black. I did see a few that weren't exactly orange but a darker kind of faded orange which I assumed were juvenile black oce clowns right?

Any idea what kind of algae this is? Basic stuff? It's only on the silicon.

Attachments

• image-3027411030.jpg
    image-3027411030.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 67
Also found a bunch of white specks on my tank and one if them is clearly a snail but It's minuscule like its literally a speck. Ill post pictures in a bit.

Really hard to get a clear picture but it's the largest speck and the other aren't air bubbles.

Attachments

• image-2148020786.jpg
    image-2148020786.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 64
Any idea what kind of algae this is? Basic stuff? It's only on the silicon.

Looks like diatoms to me. Completely normal. Second picture is probably copepods which are beneficial. Both are normal for saltwater tanks an the diatoms will go away on their own.

Looks like diatoms to me. Completely normal. Second picture is probably copepods which are beneficial. Both are normal for saltwater tanks an the diatoms will go away on their own.

Yeah, I think they're copepods. According to another thread I posted, it seems as though my cycle is pretty much done due to the ~30lbs of live rock. Tested today:

0.6 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
20 Nitrate

I saw nitrites rise and fall slightly but I'm waiting on the ammonia to drop. Once I see that I'm going to pick up either some hermits or snails. I might add 2-3 bumblebee snails to my stock too or replace the nerites with those.

Bumblebee snails aren't algae eaters, they are carnivorous so I'd pass on those unless you just want them for aesthetics. But yes the cycle is almost done! I like Astraea and cerith snails as well as red leg hermits. All great cuc members!

Bumblebee snails aren't algae eaters, they are carnivorous so I'd pass on those unless you just want them for aesthetics. But yes the cycle is almost done! I like Astraea and cerith snails as well as red leg hermits. All great cuc members!

They do eat detritus and they can help clean up uneaten live foods. My lrs has orange turbos that are massive lol so I'm gonna try and pick up a smaller one, it'll be cool to watch it grow.

I didn't think my cycle would be this fast I guess I underestimated the power of live rock lol hopefully I can pick up a quarantine this weekend.

They do eat detritus and they can help clean up uneaten live foods. My lrs has orange turbos that are massive lol so I'm gonna try and pick up a smaller one, it'll be cool to watch it grow.

I didn't think my cycle would be this fast I guess I underestimated the power of live rock lol hopefully I can pick up a quarantine this weekend.

Didn't know they would eat detritus, interesting. Orange turbos are really cool and a small guy will grow nice and fat once you start getting all the green algae blooms that plague a new tank lol. I always forget about turbos.

Didn't know they would eat detritus, interesting. Orange turbos are really cool and a small guy will grow nice and fat once you start getting all the green algae blooms that plague a new tank lol. I always forget about turbos.

Read the detritus thing on live aquaria lol and yeah I'm stoked! I can't wait to start slowly adding livestock.

Just thought I'd update. Cycle seems to be at a stand still so I added 2 pieces of shrimp this time and I'm hoping that'll raise the ammonia and finally get rid of it for good. Nitrite is at 0 currently and nitrate at 20ppm.

Diatoms are blooming all over my live rock which actually looks nice I guess but I can see it starting on my sand bed. I really like the way the rock is turning except for one patch that just looks dead. Here are a few photos :)

Attachments

• image-2128736020.jpg
    image-2128736020.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 73
  • image-991011046.jpg
    image-991011046.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2110053492.jpg
    image-2110053492.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2734451692.jpg
    image-2734451692.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 77
My black perculas clowns were both orange when I bought them two years ago (tiny) the female is now all black but the male still has a little orange face :) just check with the store to make sure they are correctly labelled, if its the black ones you are after...

My black perculas clowns were both orange when I bought them two years ago (tiny) the female is now all black but the male still has a little orange face :) just check with the store to make sure they are correctly labelled, if its the black ones you are after...

Thanks! I'm definitely gonna ask but they're tank was just labelled oce clown and I'm sure they had both black and oranges in there.

Cycle is done! Nitrates are sky high and diatoms are everywhere but I'm just about ready to start slowly adding my cuc. Tomorrow I'm picking up my QT and I'm gonna get my WC ready. Also going to try and paint the back of my tank tomorrow. A lot to do after the past 2 weeks have been slow but I'm finally ready! If all goes good, I'm hoping to get some snails or hermits on Wednesday!!

Cycle is done! Nitrates are sky high and diatoms are everywhere but I'm just about ready to start slowly adding my cuc. Tomorrow I'm picking up my QT and I'm gonna get my WC ready. Also going to try and paint the back of my tank tomorrow. A lot to do after the past 2 weeks have been slow but I'm finally ready! If all goes good, I'm hoping to get some snails or hermits on Wednesday!!

for a tank that size i would get 2 turbo snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 cerith snails, and 6 hermits either blue leg or red leg and you can maybe pick up a single skunk cleaner shrimp and you should be good for a cuc (y)

for a tank that size i would get 2 turbo snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 cerith snails, and 6 hermits either blue leg or red leg and you can maybe pick up a single skunk cleaner shrimp and you should be good for a cuc (y)

Yup, my original stock was something along those lines! Prepping the tank now for the painted back. Cost me 2.50 for the paint and rollers.

Attachments

• image-1107026448.jpg
    image-1107026448.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 66
First coat is done and it's looking good!

Attachments

• image-2465495384.jpg
    image-2465495384.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 70
Painting is done! I like the look of it and can't wait for the corals and fish to come in. Tank is filthy and it's been hard restraining from doing a WC but tomorrow I'm gonna siphon whatever gunk the shrimps left and get my water crystal clear again. I also think I have hair algae that's starting to grow on my live rock. Here's some pictures and a before and after.

Attachments

• image-1981905010.jpg
    image-1981905010.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3573307974.jpg
    image-3573307974.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-776348702.jpg
    image-776348702.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image-172685252.jpg
    image-172685252.jpg