First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? Even over the max line?

And I guess I'm gonna have to find out a perfect setting based on trial and error.

It's a Marina 100W submersible. I'm a little paranoid with heaters lol and I've read that submersible doesn't always mean FULLY submersible when it comes to heaters.

It's a marina 100w submersible. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to heaters lol and I've read the submersible doesn't always mean FULLY submersible when it comes to heaters.

Woops, sorry for the double post. My first one didn't originally send :s

Alright, thanks guys! I'll submerge it this week when I do a water change.

My temp read at about 81F this morning so it dropped 3 degrees. I still have my window cracked and the light off. I wanna drop the temp to about 76-78 and then run the light to see about how much the temperature will rise in 8hrs. Should I be concerned about the temperature fluctuations? I mean compared to the ocean it does get hotter in the day and colder at night right? So, it shouldn't be that bad I'm guessing. I could be wrong.

I'll be posting some test results later on today and I'll see if I have any shrimp. If not ill do a quick search and see what else I can use.

Alright, thanks guys! I'll submerge it this week when I do a water change.

My temp read at about 81F this morning so it dropped 3 degrees. I still have my window cracked and the light off. I wanna drop the temp to about 76-78 and then run the light to see about how much the temperature will rise in 8hrs. Should I be concerned about the temperature fluctuations? I mean compared to the ocean it does get hotter in the day and colder at night right? So, it shouldn't be that bad I'm guessing. I could be wrong.

I'll be posting some test results later on today and I'll see if I have any shrimp. If not ill do a quick search and see what else I can use.

the temp shouldnt fluctuate too much, some fish, corals, inverts etc are sensative to it, when i leave my house in the morning i drop the thermostat to 80* (tank stays about 78*) and when i get home my lights are on a timer so they come on 1hr before i get there (led fixture) and i drop my thermostat to 76* but the lights have a headstart warming the water a bit before i do that, so my tank is pretty much always at 80*, and at "night" (6am-4pm) its around 78* but its a gentle shift.

the temp shouldnt fluctuate too much, some fish, corals, inverts etc are sensative to it, when i leave my house in the morning i drop the thermostat to 80* (tank stays about 78*) and when i get home my lights are on a timer so they come on 1hr before i get there (led fixture) and i drop my thermostat to 76* but the lights have a headstart warming the water a bit before i do that, so my tank is pretty much always at 80*, and at "night" (6am-4pm) its around 78* but its a gentle shift.

That's why I wanna toy around with it before I get any inverts or fish. It only dropped 3 degrees at night though and that was with an open window right next to it with cold air. So the drop at night shouldn't be too bad. I just wanna see how much the temp would rise with the light on. I'm assuming that t8s generally heat up more than LEDs though correct?

I'm aiming for a drop and rise between 78-80 degrees similar to yours. So in reality my heater would only prove to be a backup if the temp would drop dramatically since the light is doing a pretty good job of heating up the tank lol

That's why I wanna toy around with it before I get any inverts or fish. It only dropped 3 degrees at night though and that was with an open window right next to it with cold air. So the drop at night shouldn't be too bad. I just wanna see how much the temp would rise with the light on. I'm assuming that t8s generally heat up more than LEDs though correct?

I'm aiming for a drop and rise between 78-80 degrees similar to yours. So in reality my heater would only prove to be a backup if the temp would drop dramatically since the light is doing a pretty good job of heating up the tank lol

especially the t8's its going to be pretty warm in there, and 78-80* is perfect IMO just like night time in an actual reef, maybe a little more but its alot more water volume.

I'm gonna make sure that the lighting all checks out tonight, I wanna get that out of the way.

Also, when I test my water, how many ppms of ammonia would I want? If I don't have any table shrimp at home would able to use something else or would the die off from the rock be enough? Cause I'm figuring I'd need a constant supply of ammonia similar to FW cycling and eventually I'd run out of die off faster than a shrimp decomposing.

I'm gonna make sure that the lighting all checks out tonight, I wanna get that out of the way.

Also, when I test my water, how many ppms of ammonia would I want? If I don't have any table shrimp at home would able to use something else or would the die off from the rock be enough? Cause I'm figuring I'd need a constant supply of ammonia similar to FW cycling and eventually I'd run out of die off faster than a shrimp decomposing.

just go to a market and ask for one, dont try to explain why you need it, they wont get it, lol just ask em how much and dont budge on that fact that you just need ONE, theyll eventually cave and just give it too you lol :ROFLMAO:

just go to a market and ask for one, dont try to explain why you need it, they wont get it, lol just ask em how much and dont budge on that fact that you just need ONE, theyll eventually cave and just give it too you lol :ROFLMAO:

Lol I might just end up buying a bag in that case and I'll have a protein source for supper haha

kebabs fa suppah! :brows:

Lol speaking of food, how does regular flakes and frozen bloodworms occasionally sound as for feeding. I'm a little confused in regards to the inverts. Do I need to supplement with sinking tablets or would the algae an whatever would be growing in the tank be enough? In regards to the stocking I previously gave +1 pistol shrimp.

Lol speaking of food, how does regular flakes and frozen bloodworms occasionally sound as for feeding. I'm a little confused in regards to the inverts. Do I need to supplement with sinking tablets or would the algae an whatever would be growing in the tank be enough? In regards to the stocking I previously gave +1 pistol shrimp.

the shrimp will eat anything and everything they can as far as uneaten food and algae go, they most certainly do not need to be fed, they do WORK, my skunks keep my tank spotless, i would go with a single skunk or single red fire shrimp (more color) (y)

the shrimp will eat anything and everything they can as far as uneaten food and algae go, they most certainly do not need to be fed, they do WORK, my skunks keep my tank spotless, i would go with a single skunk or single red fire shrimp (more color) (y)

Yeah, I was gonna only go with one other shrimp apart from the pistol.

Any idea as to what I should add first? I was gonna add inverts first then fish.

I was thinking 6 hermits first, then the snails, the clowns, the purple firefish, the skunk, and finally the ywg and pistol. Obviously, about a week or two between each addition.

sounds good, i went snails first ($0.50/ea) so if i lost them i wouldnt lose much, then inverts then clowns, then other stock, about a week apart.

sounds good, i went snails first ($0.50/ea) so if i lost them i wouldnt lose much, then inverts then clowns, then other stock, about a week apart.

Yeah, I'll see which is cheapest as far as inverts go and might do that.

Yeah, I'll see which is cheapest as far as inverts go and might do that.

The red fire shrimp and skunj cleaner shrimp are going for around $24.99 each do they will definitely be the most expensive invert on your list.

Back
Top Bottom