First Nano SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, so after being out of the fish keeping hobby for about a year and a half now, I'm finally back! Unfortunately, I sold all my equipment and tanks so I'm starting out fresh. Anyway, my room feels empty and I thought the best way to liven it up would be a nano saltwater reef.

I'm thinking of picking up a Jebo R338 and start it off very slowly until I invest in better lighting as it only comes with 2 10W T5s which I think can't really sustain even hardy corals? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I plan on picking up done fully cured live rock and love sand. The tank comes with a 4 in 1 filter which I'm gonna take a look at and see what I can add or remove to make it better. It also comes with a power head that flows at 100g/hr.

As far as stocking goes, I was thinking 2 oce clowns, a cleaner shrimp, some snails, hermits, and some zoas and mushrooms for corals. Either way this isn't finalized it's just an idea. I'll start looking into stock when the tank is up and running during its cycle.

So, what do you guys think?

It's a 9 gallon. 15" L x 11" W x 17" H

i wouldnt do clowns is a 9g, especially after sand and rock scape it doesnt leave alot of space to swim, i would suggest a 20g long for a shallow or maybe a 20g high for a pair of clowns, just my $0.02

i wouldnt do clowns is a 9g, especially after sand and rock scape it doesnt leave alot of space to swim, i would suggest a 20g long for a shallow or maybe a 20g high for a pair of clowns, just my $0.02
Not even one? I know they're better off in pairs but I'm not sure if it's alright to only have one. Either way, I'm not to worried about the stock now and I'm gonna take a look around when I go pick it up. If I find a bigger tank for not too much more ill pick that up. I'd rather a high tank since I'm more than likely to place it on my night stand. If I do get the 9 gallon, any suggestions for fish?

Not even one? I know they're better off in pairs but I'm not sure if it's alright to only have one. Either way, I'm not to worried about the stock now and I'm gonna take a look around when I go pick it up. If I find a bigger tank for not too much more ill pick that up. I'd rather a high tank since I'm more than likely to place it on my night stand. If I do get the 9 gallon, any suggestions for fish?

well, in no way shape or form am i bashing a clown in that tank, its just a suggestion for a happier healthier fish, here are a few if you get the 9g if you get a 20g tall after all it will definitely free up your options for stock,

Nano Fish

Dartfish

Gobies for Sale: Goby Fish Species Including Shrimp Gobies

So I ended up getting a Jebo R352KG 17 Gallon. Came with a stand, biochemical filter and pump. Also got a huge bucket of fluval sea salt mix that came with a calcium and alkalinity/ph buffer. Canopy came standard with 2 T8 10000K bulbs.

I'm no expert on lighting so if anyone can give me a heads up on if they can only sustain soft corals?

Here are some photos of the tank and filtration system.

Attachments

• image-1426465173.jpg
    image-1426465173.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 208
  • image-3021382607.jpg
    image-3021382607.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 235
Here are some photos of the tank and filtration system.

Looking good, what substrate and rock are you going with..? And btw the dual t5ho with support most softy corals, if you'd like swap one out for an actinic to bring out the color of the fish and coral altogether.

Looking good, what substrate and rock are you going with..? And btw the dual t5ho with support most softy corals, if you'd like swap one out for an actinic to bring out the color of the fish and coral altogether.

I was looking at CaribSea for live sand and i'm currently talking to someone who's selling fiji and dakota (never heard of dakota live rock :confused: then again im new to this) live rock. He offered me 18lbs for 40$. My LFS wants 7$ a pound...

Oh, and the bulbs are t8s not t5hos sadly :(

I was looking at CaribSea for live sand and i'm currently talking to someone who's selling fiji and dakota (never heard of dakota live rock :confused: then again im new to this) live rock. He offered me 18lbs for 40$. My LFS wants 7$ a pound...

Oh, and the bulbs are t8s not t5hos sadly :(

Dang on the bulbs, and caribsea arragalive special reef grade is my favorite, not too fine, doesn't stir easy, and very minimal cloud when first added just my $0.02, and the rock comes out to about $2.25/lb unless its live and in a tank now its an ok price, if its live now that's a great price.

Dang on the bulbs, and caribsea arragalive special reef grade is my favorite, not too fine, doesn't stir easy, and very minimal cloud when first added just my $0.02, and the rock comes out to about $2.25/lb unless its live and in a tank now its an ok price, if its live now that's a great price.

It is live and cured! and would both t8s sustain soft corals at all?

ahh yiss thats a bada$$ deal then, and whats the wattage on the t8's..?

Yup, they're 15W each. That kinda sucks.. isn't low light considered with 3 watts per gallon?

Also, I think i'm gonna order these online too. The heater is dirt cheap compared to the ones at my LFS and it has good reviews. Any body have experience with it? http://www.amazon.ca/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S70ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380321126&sr=8-1&keywords=powerhead+aquarium

http://www.amazon.ca/Aquatop-HT-100-WATTS-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B004RQ2E6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380321373&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium+heater

Yup, they're 15W each. That kinda sucks.. isn't low light considered with 3 watts per gallon?

Also, I think i'm gonna order these online too. The heater is dirt cheap compared to the ones at my LFS and it has good reviews. Any body have experience with it? http://www.amazon.ca/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S70ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380321126&sr=8-1&keywords=powerhead+aquarium

http://www.amazon.ca/Aquatop-HT-100-WATTS-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B004RQ2E6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380321373&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium+heater

I would go with one nano 425 or a pair of 240s and the heater is a good size.

I would go with one nano 425 or a pair of 240s and the heater is a good size.

Gonna take a trip to my LFS tomorrow morning to pick up some live sand and take a look at the heaters and powerheads to see if i can get a better deal. If not, ill likely order the equipment tomorrow.

Gonna take a trip to my LFS tomorrow morning to pick up some live sand and take a look at the heaters and powerheads to see if i can get a better deal. If not, ill likely order the equipment tomorrow.

How did it go?

Back
Top Bottom