First nano tank?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv4bettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!! I am going to start a 10g nano tank!!!!
I need some hardy fish that will go good with SW hermit crabs (I already know where to buy those) here is what I need to know:
What size filter
What fish to get
What to feed them
And basically anything else I need to know!!!!
Also I would love some extra advice!!
Thanks in advance!!!
~Keep Swimming~
Luv4bettas

Well, I'd get a power head, and you'd probably only be able to get away with 1 fish. As saltwater is very sensitive to overstocking. And is this a FOWLR? Or a reef?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could do a pair of really cool designer clowns

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No clown is suited for a 10g honestly. Anyway, I own a current 10g nano so this is right up my alley. Mine has been set for a bit over a year. Anyways I use a aquaclear filter rated for a 20g, this filter comes highly recommended and the adjustable media is a added plus. I rinse my media out with tank water weekly to keep things from building up. Weekly water changes are a must! As a skimmer is not needed on a 10g. Have serval buckets on hand, I have 4 right now, one for mixing saltwater, one for holding ro/di water, one with a secure lid to store salt mix, one to drain water out of the tank into.

Alright, next I use a 240 powerhead form koralia powerhead an some sort of heater but I don't rember the name brand. You want an adjustable one as saltwater fish an corals usally like a warmer tank then 75 degrees. I use instant ocean reef crystals also inject phytoplankton as to support coral growth. Ro/di water is a must in smaller tanks in order to prevent unneeded algae out breaks an such. As for fish an feeding, it really matters what you can supply. My wrasse eats flakes as the staple with mysis shrimp an black worms as a treat along with various organisms in the tank. I do not recommend wrasses for a nano even though serval are consider a good stock for it. I have a small sixline an the little bugger is so active that I'm upgrading to a 55g. No he's not pacing, just very active, more so then any other fish I've ever owned. Now clownfish can not live in a 10g either comfortably, but there are fish that can such as blue neon gobies, clown gobies, fire fish (beware their jumpers) yellow prawn gobies, and yellow stripes Cardinal fish.

Back
Top Bottom