First Nano Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, what's happening. I have been into the marine aquarium hobby for about a year now and i have decided to set up a nano tank in my bedroom (have a 55 gallon in the living room)! I am new to nano aquariums and i am wondering what are some peoples opinion on which nano all on one aquarium(has lighting with canopy, filtration, ect.) is the best. the spending limit is somewhere around 170$. Thanks for the input!

JBJ Nanocube IMO. 12 gallon Deluxe. Reef ready right out of the box!

all in one unit with 48watts of PC lighting, 3 chambers behind the wall for excellent bio/mechanical filtration and a sleek look! Check them out!

Current USA also has the Aquapod which is similar to the NanoCube, but I have heard that they are recalling due to some faulty wiring! Give them time and I think they will be better than the JBJ version. But for now JBJ hands down.

I have one and love it. My fish seem to be very happy. I found that the lighting was good as well as the filtration and movement and what not. Some people have a second powerhead in theres but i'm still with a the stock.

-where is the best place to get nano live rock and live sand for it? and say i have some special grade reef sand already and i want to add live sand, what should i do as far as mixing them? half and half?

I also have a JBJ nao deluxe and am very happy with it. It will need some modification for SW reef applications. Ditch all of the sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings it came with. Fill up the filtration compartments with LR rubble instead. You can get nano LR at www.liveaquaria.com
Here are some pics of mine...

Attachments

• 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_111.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_111.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadable_pics_002_178.jpg
    uploadable_pics_002_178.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 50
Hey Lando, your tank looks great! I have to down size from a 55 gal fish only tank and wanted to go with the nano, the JBJ 24gal. Is the lighing on the deluxe enough to support anemones and corals?? Is yours all stock? Thanks Lisa

Thanks for the kind words.
and wanted to go with the nano, the JBJ 24gal. Is the lighing on the deluxe enough to support anemones and corals??
The lighting on both units is strong enough to support most soft corals and some LPS corals. I would stay away from anemones in this size of tank.
Lando, u have 3 fishes in a 12G?
Not any more. The purple firefish is now in my 72gal reef. I did have absolutley no problems with threee fish in there.

You might be able to go with a pair of clowns, purple firefish, and a shrimp goby.

I am not one to speak, I have a pair of clowns, randalls shrimp goby, splendid leopard wrasse, spotted hawkfish, and a firefish all in my 37 LPS.

three or four small fish max. It will depend on the amount of bio-filtration.

Back
Top Bottom