First of many questions I'm sure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just started out, got my BC 29. It's set up and I'm doing what my guy is calling a "wet" run before adding rock.

Now for the question. The media balls. When I remove them. Why do I use in it's place?

Also do I really need a UV sterilizer and skimmer? Water changes will be done every Sunday and also as needed.

When I started up my bc I used tap water, then loaded up on macro algae any type, I mean a lot of algae, added the little bc skimmer, and a single clown, ran it 2 weeks, then removed 1/2 the macro algae and added 20lbs of nice cured rock. It was so smooth it was scary.

I wouldnt buy a skimmer or Uv now, you probably wont need them.

I took out the bioballs and added a media basket and a fuge to mine.

The only down fall is that trickle filters create nitrate, which is good at first but....
Skimmers actually removes TOC. 45$ well worth it over the long haul.

If you want a skimmer I would suggest the tunze. The stock biocube skimmer is really horrible. I have the aquaticlife skimmer I just bought this weekend and its a little better but not by much. I think the tunze will fit in the back compartment as well. :)

Thats if you feel you absolutely must have a skimmer. If you do weekly water changes you should be fine without one.

Here you go man. here's where you can get the media basket, fuge, underwater fuge light, Filterfloss, chemipure elite, purigen, etc.
Media basket

also that little nanomag cleaner they have there is freakin awesome! magnet is VERY strong so youll never lose the cleaner & it's so small it fite everywhere in my tank.

I'm fairly new to SW myself and right now I'm in Day 2 cycling. What are advantages/disadvantages of using a protein skimmer vs. media basket, fuge, underwater fuge light, Filterfloss, chemipure elite, purigen, etc. ???

Thinking about replacing bioballs with CPR SR3 protein skimmer but just want more info about the media basket. What's best?

NyteGTI said:
Here you go man. here's where you can get the media basket, fuge, underwater fuge light, Filterfloss, chemipure elite, purigen, etc.
Media basket

also that little nanomag cleaner they have there is freakin awesome! magnet is VERY strong so youll never lose the cleaner & it's so small it fite everywhere in my tank.

Awesome thanks for link.

Well the UV light is out now anyway. It doesn't work. So much for that. I'm gonna throw in the BC skimmer just to add it. The area where the media balls were my buddy said he's gonna give me some live rock and some other nasty stuff to throw in there.
So I should be picking up sand and rock today!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/bio-cube-skimmer-doesnt-fit-187366.html

Skimmer isn't fitting!! Gonna for a ride out the window soon. Also removed all bio balls. Now it sounds like the white rapids in my bedroom!! What's that all about?! The sound is crazy! Like a river after a bad rain. I gotta listen to this?

I know people said no need for the bio balls and to toss them but what the, this I ridiculous. I'm gonna have to shut it down. I won't be able to sleep and the wife is like your not serious are you?! lol

I have Noo idea what to tell her and this skimmer is a real piece if work. For someone who has just entered the saltwater world I'm not such success even getting setup!! :(

Last edited:
Don't worry about the min/max water line. Fill it up till its quiet, that's what I did till I got my media basket and fuge basket. It will go quiet

As you can see the water level is up high so cover the media basket. Here is a great photo, so you can see how the back will look if you add the media basket and fuge and the different types of filter media to add to the basket.

Attachments

• image-1897717956.jpg
    image-1897717956.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1673663385.jpg
    image-1673663385.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 72
Awesome pic! So you can really do a lot! What about this skimmer? It's garbage IMO and I'm new to this but this is trash! I'm not using it.

If you run the fuge basket with the chaeto and underwater light you really have no need for a skimmer. It's common practice to use one or the other, just depends on what tickles your fancy LOL. I ordered the media basket and fuge basket as a kit for like 89.00 then I ordered all the media for it and the underwater light for the fuge. Plus, like 9 sheets of floss for around 140.00 total for everything including the basket and fuge with shipping from Stevie T media baskets. I highly recommend it.

I've been running everything in it for around 2 weeks now and my parameters are beautiful.
Ph.....8.2
Ammonia.....0
Nitrites......0
Nitrates....... .5
Plus it is nice and silent, everything is thriving so far

Devil doc said:
If you run the fuge basket with the chaeto and underwater light you really have no need for a skimmer. It's common practice to use one or the other, just depends on what tickles your fancy LOL. I ordered the media basket and fuge basket as a kit for like 89.00 then I ordered all the media for it and the underwater light for the fuge. Plus, like 9 sheets of floss for around 140.00 total for everything including the basket and fuge with shipping from Stevie T media baskets. I highly recommend it.

I understand everything except the underwater light. UV light?

No it's a simple ole underwater light for the
" Cheato " to grow. It allows it to grow. Cheato is a macro algae and will help reduce your nitrates an will also help maintain copepods. You can introduce them and they will help seed the fuge and create tons of copepods for the fish and multilple things to eat.

Regarding the bc skimmer, I felt the same way for the first 2 months...too small (crap)
I upped the air pump and continued to adjust, had good results since.over a year now. New water produces little TOC, hang in there with skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom