First saltwater attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riot84

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to be turning my old beta tank (marineland crescent 3) into a nano tank. This will be my first attempt at a saltwater setup and was looking for tips as to what a good filter, heater, etc would be good for this. My cousin, who has had many saltwater tank,s including a spec 2, will also be assisting me but just looking for some other opinions. Thanks in advance.

That's a pretty small tank, you could prolly get away with a small HOB moving 90 gph. Get some LR & LS, do a small heater and you'll prolly be good to go until you've got the cycle completed. You could even skip the HOB and just put in one wave-maker for circulation rated for around 40 times what your tank is. In your case 120 gph. Stay with 3lbs of LR to start and get smaller pieces so you can create some variety of appearances before adding stock.

Thanks guys. Definitely going to check those out. Any ideas on livestock? I know it's not a big tank so I'm prolly only looking at 1 fish and maybe an invertebrate or 2. Also if anyone has any tips on good beginner corals that would do well in a small tank I'm all ears.

The fish stock will depend on what you want but you're right. As for Corals: Zoanthids, mushrooms, Candy Cane, and even Hammer are all relatively hardy coral and as long as you test your water frequently and monitor you should be ok. Remember to take your time and get to know your tank, what's your water like from day to day and do you get consistent testing results, when your water is stable then you can start to add some corals. You should definitely start with a CUC. Some hermits, snails, etc...

Thanks Pisces, I really appreciate all the advice. Hopefully, with everyones help, input, and advice, this will end up being a successful first step into the realm of saltwater.

A 3 gallon tank huh? Me personally, I wouldn't recommend any fish. IF you wanted 1 fish, id say probably a green clown goby. They stay very small. Other than that, nothing else will thrive in a tank that small. You could do shrimp and what not tho

Yeah I know finding a fish for that small of a tank is gonna be tough. Maybe I'll try and find room for the 37 gal I have in the garage. :/

I know it'd be best but between the 55, the 75 and the 26 I have up already it's just a matter of finding room for it.

I would recommend against any fish in the 3 gallon. Especially if you like coral. Small tanks need lots of attention as is. Then adding a fish will make it even harder. If you can go bigger to start, then do just that. Those corals Pisces mentioned are very hardy but keep in mind the left over food from feeding fish and the waste put off by fish are harmful to your coral. I personally prefer coral over fish and have a 5 gallon with torch coral, mushrooms, zoas, a birdsnest and now a hammer coral.

Not to mention, in a small tank, the critters are just as entertaining as fish would be! Emerald crabs, shrimp, snails, hermits... They can be pretty fun to watch!

Maybe a watchman goby and shrimp, but your tank is just so small, hard to say. Maybe one damsel. Oh, going to get in trouble by the damsel haters...um, just corals is really awesome. "swimming"isn't the only thing that equals fun. Best of luck, saltwater is the crack of the tank world...your getting into the hard stuff man! But you will love it!!! Hehehehee

Yeah the 3 gal definitely poses stocking issues but I don't have any problem doing just inverts in it. Between all the freshwater tanks I have going right now I've got enough fish that if I want to see "swimming" I've got plenty of options. Just wanting to take that first step into the saltwater realm, and believe me, even if its just as addicting as freshwater it's gonna be worse than crack! :p

I've considered doing a 3 or 5g tank and just putting some soft colorful corals, a couple Nassarius, a banded trochus and 5-6 sexy shrimp. They're fun to watch and I've seen a video where people have kinda trained them to come take small pellets of food right out of a pair of tongs at meal time. It was so cute! They came running over, grabbed the pellet and then went running off to eat it! Anyways, that's what I would do with a 3g.

Ok everybody, found a new spot for my 26 so now I have room for the 37. Really excited to get my first saltwater tank started but it'll have to wait a few weeks to get started on it. Gotta save up some money to do this right. :)

Ok everybody, found a new spot for my 26 so now I have room for the 37. Really excited to get my first saltwater tank started but it'll have to wait a few weeks to get started on it. Gotta save up some money to do this right. :)

Awesome. You'll be happier you're going bigger for sure. A lot more fish options as well

Yeah I know I'll love the bigger tank. I'm really excited to get this thing going. Painted the back glass black today and now just waiting til payday to start getting equipment!

Well if you have enough money for a heater and a pump / a little bit of sand or rock... Then you could get the cycle started! Some would probably argue that you don't need a heater if the room temperature is maintained pretty good. The bacteria you need will grow in a pretty decent range of parameters. That way you can get the cycle going while you save money for stock :). That's the hardest part anyways, being patient while your tank cycles :)

So what kind of filter should I use on this 37 gallon? I've got an aquaclear 110 that my cousin suggested I use as a refugium with an ac 50 as a media reactor. Any opinions on that idea? And gonna pick up a heater next week. Not even thinking about stock yet. Gonna get this tank up and running then figure out what to put in it.

Back
Top Bottom