First SW - Nano Chi 5G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't pay $15 for te whammin watermelons. That's the most common morph and $15 seems a little steep for 10 polyps. The trumpets are a great deal and the bam bams are a little pricey too but that's not unheard of for them

Today I tested the water and the
Ammonia is between .25 and .50, closer to .25
Tested Nitrites and they are for sure at the maximum on the chart 5 ppm after a minute.

So I am guessing that is where I am at in the cycle. The Nitrite phase...

On a more fun and interesting note, I spoke with Allyson from Mindblowingcorals and she has what I wanted in the under $20. starter things, I will likely get a couple Teal Trumpets, they are only $5. for a few-5p. A nice shaped Green Slimer and appx $10, and maybe some mushrooms, haven't seen them but she said she suggested them, some Eagle Eyes, and maybe something orange or blue. She will hold them for me until my tank finishes the cycle.

???????????? I put fish pellets into the tank to start the cycle, about 15-20 Hikari Gold Betta pellets...they are laying in the tank, should I leave them until the cycle is finished, then suck them out? Or should I take them out now (or when)?

I would wait on the slimer. Acros, even the easy ones like green slimer, shouldn't go in for a couple of months. That gives things time to stabilize and let you play with keeping calc/alk/ and mag in check. It's a beautiful coral and grows like a weed in my system. I'd be scared of having it in a tiny 5. Guess you can frag it easily enough though. The other corals sound fine. What's your lighting again? Here's my slimer to give you an idea of it
9RxAQVK.jpg

I would wait on the slimer. Acros, even the easy ones like green slimer, shouldn't go in for a couple of months. That gives things time to stabilize and let you play with keeping calc/alk/ and mag in check. It's a beautiful coral and grows like a weed in my system. I'd be scared of having it in a tiny 5. Guess you can frag it easily enough though. The other corals sound fine. What's your lighting again? Here's my slimer to give you an idea of it
9RxAQVK.jpg

Yes, that looks like a great example you have, and the fuzzy antler looking one too!

She mentioned it would grow fast but I also told her I was going to do a 35G pretty soon (maybe a 46G bowfront if I can find the right deal). But she also said that I could bring them to her husband and he would frag any of them for me. They have a bunch of the trumpets and a bright neon green one coming up pretty soon too.

Well I am still looking to decide which light. I figure I will have one more week to decide at least before the tank cycles.

???????????????? is still open about the fish food I used to start the cycle, whether or not to siphon it out or leave it as a continuing source of ammonia.

So which inverts should I add and when, like snails and a shrimp, Sexy shrimp is my 1st choice, atm, but if there is another which will get along with them, I could also do that.

as a side question, when I start up the 35G how long do I need to wait once it is cycled? To add inverts, or fish or corals. Maybe I should get that one up and running sooner, even though I wont be getting it's light and things right away. I will post a thread separately, but was just wondering.

Please give me a few more nano light options, I was hoping for something with a variety of led colors/options. Someone said I should have RBG not just white and blue. HELP! lol $75 maybe?

Will a Biocube grow anything decent with the light that comes with it?

Are there models with different light systems to stay away from? There is a possibility of one available for a somewhat reasonable price, maybe some with light and tank, that would be around the same price as a newer set up, and is a 29G big enough for some fish too?!

Once you're cycled you can start adding snails and hermits. Then shrimp and crabs. One of the Skyye lights would probably light that well and grow anything. The fuzzy antler one is birdsnest. However like I said any sps corals I'd wait a couple of months before putting them in. I'd think you can siphon the excess food out now. Um the biocubes have enough light for softies and lps but no sps. Unless you do the hqi that comes with the halide or the jbj led nanocube.http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovati...-Innovative_Marine-0I10204-FILTFILDTN-vi.html

And yes a 29 would be great for 4 fish or so. If you are ok with not keeping sps until the 35 then the stock biocube would be a good starter tank. Unless it is the hqi which comes with a metal halide then you could do sps

Stock cube lights should be good for softies and at least to start. You can always mod it later with a DIY LED fixture. Super easy! :)

Alright. :)

How about this light for my nano? Will it grow anything decent?

Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Marine+ Aquarium LED Light, 12-Inch: Pet Supplies

I still have a week to pick out a "new" tank or light.

Looking at the EVO 2014 Spot Color dimmable light. But the mounting arm is 30 and the bulb is 79 plus 10. shipping so for $110 besides being out of the range of $$ I wanted to spend, I am checking on other lights as well,

http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=4274

Also this one

Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 120W LED Light for Reef Saltwater Aquarium | eBay

It is 18" wide, but if I hung it up above it shouldn't look bad, and I could use it for a bigger tank too. I could also turn it sideways so the top park would be similar to the width of the tank and the long way could be front to back. I like it is dimmable and also like that it has all the LED colors for the growth light spectrum for corals.

I, and many other members, have the last fixture. it's capable of growing any corals, but it could be an overkill for the Chi

I, and many other members, have the last fixture. it's capable of growing any corals, but it could be an overkill for the Chi

Since the price is about the same I could use the light on a bigger one too and it is dimmable. Has anyone changed from blue and white LED to the full spectrum and has anyone noticed a difference in growth?

Wavepoint clip?

Checking them out in a few min.

Well I got RODI water,
tank water for free,
Prepared SW for reefs 5G plus tote,
A handful /cup of Chaetomorpha with some pods.
A medium amount of feather Caulerpa
and some Grape Caulerpa. Their fish really like to eat that stuff.
Also found some Kents Garlic Extreme for the fish, good for SW and fresh.

Also bought 4 things to go into the tank, and can pick them up when ever the tank is stable...
4-5p Teal Trumpet
2 head Duncan 2" and 3" at the time I saw it.
Some orangish Mushrooms
and something I forgot the name.

I plan to get a Mystic Sunset Montipora for the top of my rocks on the next round. Unless I see a reasonably priced more interesting one, lol.

Thinking of a Yellow Clown Goby.

Today my parameters were
ammonia 0 Yesterday when I saw it it was actually .25 according to the chart after seeing it in person.
Nitrite between .50 and 1ppm
Nitrate between 40 and 80ppm
pH was 8.1
Salinity was 1.021

So what this means is my tank is cycling, like it is supposed to! yay!

Well I was recommended to get a damsel and finish the cycle, and 5 Hermit Crabs and 5 snails but I rathered not. At a different lfs the owner said i didn't need a fish and that my levels would likely just kill Hermits and maybe the snails. Which would make sense since that is the same for a FW tank and critters. So maybe I have another week, but the difference in yesterday to today was BIG so I am really encouraged.

Right now i am hoping to be getting some snails as soon as it seems the cycle is done.

You will need good lights for the mystic sunset. It is an encrusting montipora, an awesome one at that, but an sps coral too. The par bulb or the 120 dimmable fixture will work but not the other. On the caluerpa don't put it in your tank. It will take over a 5 gallon in several weeks. And if it goes sexual will nuke your tank. Good call on the damsel :)

You will need good lights for the mystic sunset. It is an encrusting montipora, an awesome one at that, but an sps coral too. The par bulb or the 120 dimmable fixture will work but not the other. On the caluerpa don't put it in your tank. It will take over a 5 gallon in several weeks. And if it goes sexual will nuke your tank.

Yes that is such a beautiful Montipora. Thanks for the tip. I was told I could keep it on the top rock with a moderate or so light. Obviously I will need one of those!

Can I keep the Caulerpa it in a vase type jar? under a light next to the tank, maybe? Will the feather be a problem too? I was reading about them for a couple hours. The grape kind sounds like it could be impossible to get rid of. The Feather sounds like it is not too much of a problem if it is in sand.

Could any of it be kept in the HOB filter with light? What is funny is that one person/store keeper thinks nothing of one kind of problem thing and another it is their main concern, then the next no big deal on three other things but they have a pet peeve. So I am trying to sort through all the good and the bad like the fish and inverts in moderately high Nitrites.

Just saying, I really appreciate all the comments and help! Thanks, since I don't want to nuke the tank!

Haha I know how you feel. Everyone has differing opinions in the hobby. I agree the mystic would do fine at the top in moderate lighting and good flow. The half blue white polyps are awesome. Look up modified aqua clear hob fuges. That will let you grow the chaeto in it as a semi refugium. On the caluerpa you could try it in a jar or on the sand I just wouldn't let it get on the rocks. With your coral list growing your gonna need that 35 gallon sooner than later :D. Duncan's grow incredibly fast but don't take up much room. Mine went from 2 heads to around 40 in a year and a half lol.

Haha I know how you feel. Everyone has differing opinions in the hobby. I agree the mystic would do fine at the top in moderate lighting and good flow. The half blue white polyps are awesome. Look up modified aqua clear hob fuges. That will let you grow the chaeto in it as a semi refugium. On the caluerpa you could try it in a jar or on the sand I just wouldn't let it get on the rocks. With your coral list growing your gonna need that 35 gallon sooner than later :D. Duncan's grow incredibly fast but don't take up much room. Mine went from 2 heads to around 40 in a year and a half lol.

LOL, The $10 Duncan seemed too good to pass up, and the offer still stands and was reiterated about fragging anytime and trading back the extra parts. But yes it would get too big for the little tank, so I will need to get started on the 35G, but there is a water issue in the fw tank right now I need to get solved before moving the fish to the bigger tank. SO, it will likely be a month.:( Otherwise I would be starting it now for the cycle. Though I might be able to start the rocks in a tote, I have that in the back of my mind. I can tell I am already getting in trouble, hahaha...

I would have bought a 72G SW bowfront with hood for 200 last week if I would have had 200 laying around!

Today I bought this online (the descriptions are quoted from the website)

2 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

1 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

2 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

3 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans).

5 Dwarf Planaxis
10 Zig Zag Periwinkles
Red Gracilaria
One cent mystery macroalgae

also found 3 typos on the new version on the website from reefcleaners, so will get a mystery special bonus, lol!!!

Last night I did my 50% pwc and added in the old tank water after sucking out the old pellets from the beginning of the cycle, and added the dirty Chaeto to the side of the AquaClear filter which sits on the side where the table light is.

SOOOOO.....I bought a Aqueon 50/50 compact cfl bulb 10W.

What will this bulb grow... anything for me?

I have a long arm architects light with a swivel adjustable at the base/clamp, bend and head. So if I point this over the tank will it do anything for me? I got it as a grow light for the Caulerpa, then wondered?

I also bought some more Prime, I had recently tried using Amquel and it is not my favorite.

Last edited:
The 50/50 bulb will probably support LPS and Softies on such a small tank. Maybe even SPS if it's close enough. I use some on a 10g and I have LPS so.

Back
Top Bottom