Fish for 10 gallon nano reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I have started a 10 gallon nano- reef tank a few days ago. I know it's not ready to house some fish. I already have started thinking of fish. Who wouldn't? I was wondering if I can get a pair of clowns. I also like fire fish but can you keep them with a goby? What corals should I get? I have a good light and an actinic light. Thanks, joe

No. You can only have one clown in that tank. No, don't buy them because your gonna buy a bigger tank late. You need a lid for Firefish. Not sure about the goby.

A fire fish and a small goby would work great in a 10. The ff are jumpers so plan accordingly. A cool idea for a ten is also the shrimp/goby pair, it's a cool symbiotic relationship to watch that often gets lost in larger tanks

I agree. Stick with the firefish or a shrimp/goby pair. You might even be able to get away with all three. I have two clowns in my 20 long and they love swimming around. IMO no clown should be kept in any tank with a capacity of less than 15-20 gallons.

As for corals, you will need live rock. I'd suggest starting with something easy. Zoanthids/palythoas and mushrooms would be ideal. These have lower lighting requirements than a lot of other corals and are a lot hardier in general. What are your plans for lighting this tank?

Keep in mind that a 10 gallon tank, although very doable, is pretty small for a reef and can be a lot harder to maintain than a larger system. It will require daily attention, but as long as you're willing to put forth the effort, you shouldn't have much trouble.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a pistol shrimp/goby pair in my 15 gallon as well just make sure you get a smaller one like a hi fin goby. As for a pair of clowns you can do ocellaris, but you will have to buy them as juvi's and prob will have to move them to a larger tank within a year. I have my pair in a 8 gallon, Nuvo 8 for the last three months, they are happy, i asked them, for now but im assuming one day i will have to maybe move them. You could for sure do one o clown and a goby/shrimp combo. That would take care of your livestock for the top and bottom of the tank.

Here is a great stocking thread for your tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/?p=676626

IMO Clowns shouldn't be in a ten. Maybe one if it's the only fish. Even Liveaquaria changed them from 10 to 20g minimum. You also shouldn't buy fish based on future plans, because you don't know what's going to happen.

Agree if you don't have plans like i do and already have a larger tank ready for them. One other thing is that most o clowns are captive bred, these do not get as large and don't require as much space. If the plan is not to get a larger tank then yes stick to one as said above.

Agree if you don't have plans like i do and already have a larger tank ready for them. One other thing is that most o clowns are captive bred, these do not get as large and don't require as much space. If the plan is not to get a larger tank then yes stick to one as said above.

While I agree with you that if they aren't upgrading to a larger tank they should stick to one fish I disagree about tank raised clowns. I have a pair of tank raised ocellaris clowns and my female is all of 3". They still require just as much room as their wild counterparts. They may not get wild fish size but not many fish kept in tanks do.

I'm in on this discussion too. My first attempt at a SW bio cube and after 12 hours all has settled. Now hurry up and wait for cycle while I search for compatibility of what I can do. I do understand that smaller may be more daunting of a task, but a risk I'm willing to take. I'm good with a few shrimp and a colorful goby if anyone thinks that'd work.

Edit : I'm very open to suggestions.

I'm in on this discussion too. My first attempt at a SW bio cube and after 12 hours all has settled. Now hurry up and wait for cycle while I search for compatibility of what I can do. I do understand that smaller may be more daunting of a task, but a risk I'm willing to take. I'm good with a few shrimp and a colorful goby if anyone thinks that'd work.

Edit : I'm very open to suggestions.

What size biocube? I'm a huge fan of yasha gobies. A pair of them would be incredible with a pistol shrimp.

What size biocube? I'm a huge fan of yasha gobies. A pair of them would be incredible with a pistol shrimp.

I shoulda mentioned (face palm) it is an Oceanic Bio Cube 14 A. Really a 10 after filling. I totally love the pistols but was nervous about it getting broken by the shock and I'll def look up those yasha you mention when I get home !!

A pistol won't break your tank, a mantis might be able to or maybe one of the huge snapping shrimp but I doubt it
Edit: yashas and a possum wrasse might be the coolest tank ever :D

After watching many YouTube videos I for sure wouldn't keep a mantis a mantis in anything less than 1/2" thick and still have concerns about it then. My gf has informed me that she's found a site about marine compatibility charts, or something of the like and will be knee deep in that after work. Have you got any experience with that site ? I'll try for a better name later but we're both "at work" lol.

A pistol won't break your tank, a mantis might be able to or maybe one of the huge snapping shrimp but I doubt it
Edit: yashas and a possum wrasse might be the coolest tank ever :D

I finally got a chance to look those up. Gorgeous fish and totally compatible. Thanks for the suggestion. The fish are still a while away so plenty of time. For now, we settled on a cultured piece I got as a gift from a friend. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396490009.442152.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396490034.186157.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396490048.765409.jpg
It also came with a few hitch hikers. 1 quarter sized snail and one tiny hermit crab. Possibly two other something's that have blended in well with the rock so I can't be certain since my fingers don't fit in the space to get them out.

Back
Top Bottom