Florida key's nano reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkfletch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I've got this little 20 gallon sw tank that's been running about 2 months or so now. So far it's pretty empty I've got about 6 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of arag-alive fiji pink sand, and a baby queen conch. I plan on getting more live rock soon.
Ive got an aquatic life 115 mini skimmer, a little 15 gal whisper carbon filter, a heater and a 425gph hydor koralia circulation pump on a timer set to imitate Key Largo's tides the best I can.
I do biweekly 25% water changes with RO/DI mixed with instant ocean salt mix. Ammonia lvls are at zero and stay at zero, same with nitrate and nitrite.
It's probably ready to add livestock but I'm going to wait about a month or so because I'm moving out of my apartment soon and don't want to have to move with SW fish. I have 3 other FW tanks so it's already going to be a *****.
But for when I do move and decide to add livestock, I'm still trying to decide on the perfect community of fish/invertebrate.
My idea is to have little piece of the Florida barrier reef in my living room. I've been doing my research and I was thinking this: 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 blue chromis, and a royal gramma, along with my conch that's already here. My question is, would that be too much for a 20 gallon? Also if not a royal gramma, because there usually found a little more south in the Caribbean, rarely seen in the area I'm trying to imitate, then what would be a good choice?

Ooh yea, not the great barrier... I was actually planning on just getting a pair of clowns and having that be that, but the conch influenced me to do this.

I'll look into them. But you don't think I'm planning on too much livestock do you? This is actually my first go at a SW tank.

Ooh yea, not the great barrier... I was actually planning on just getting a pair of clowns and having that be that, but the conch influenced me to do this.

Ah ok. I love the keys. I go snorkeling an fishing there sometimes

Yea it's a great place, I went for my honeymoon, I was also born in Key West, true conch right here! Whoop whoop!

In the long run I'll probably transfer this "nano reef" into a 55 gallon though. It will probably be a necessity in the future due to the size that the queen conchs get. But for now I want to plan with what I've got...

I wouldn't do Chromis in a 20, they swim a lot and I feel like a 30+ Is needed.
Getting some more rock in there would be a good idea..
Unfortunately I'm not as far south as you guys. Tampa Bay Area, which is great and all, but the keys are way better.

I wouldn't do Chromis in a 20, they swim a lot and I feel like a 30+ Is needed.
Getting some more rock in there would be a good idea..
Unfortunately I'm not as far south as you guys. Tampa Bay Area, which is great and all, but the keys are way better.

Tampa's great too, I've got a lot of family up there.
I know I need a lot more live rock. I'm on a tight budget... Lol
And that bums me out about the chromis, I was dead set on them, thought they'd be perfect... I'm lost now as to what I should stock....
So the peppermints are a definite, the gramma was just another idea I had so I didn't just have chromis in there, due to them not being very common in the Keys, the grammas were iffy anyways...

Tampa's great too, I've got a lot of family up there.
I know I need a lot more live rock. I'm on a tight budget... Lol
And that bums me out about the chromis, I was dead set on them, thought they'd be perfect... I'm lost now as to what I should stock....
So the peppermints are a definite, the gramma was just another idea I had so I didn't just have chromis in there, due to them not being very common in the Keys, the grammas were iffy anyways...

Were good for going to the theme parks or Dolphin tours and stuff.

You don't have to buy it live you know... There are several dry rock companies here in Florida, that are really cheap. That's where I get mine from. The dry rock becomes live over time, so it doesn't really matter. Look up Reefrocks.net, they're the cheapest and I love my rock from them.

You can do a gramma in a 20 definitely. You could probably do the chromis, but get some other opinions on that. As for other fish, it's been forever since I went diving in the keys... So give me a little while and I'll see what I can pull up for you.

Cool thanks for the help! I've been googling my *** off trying to find somewhere that would have a list of smaller species of fish native to the Key's, everything I find is for fishing and they have the usual game fish that are all massive in size. I think I'm going to start another thread on specifically chromis and whether or not 3 would be suitable for a 20 gal, and see what people have to say...

Back
Top Bottom