fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scottayy said:
The smaller the cheaper! But it still adds up. Personally I would keep the HOB filter for mechanical filtration but I have seen it done both ways many times. To me, it would equate to a filter sock on a larger setup. And you can find powerheads that are adjustable.

I'm wondering if a koralia 240 would be overkill lol. You'll definitely want a lot of flow. I think more than 70gph.

I had two 240gph circulation pumps in a 10 gallon + a 100gph return line (yes i put a sump on a 10 gallon, lol).

I could turn my 5 gal bucket into a sump...

I'm going to have to see how the water is flowing with and without the HOB and then decide.

Idk, 70 gph would be about right for a 5 gallon tank (which will actually hold about 4 gallons once you add sand and live rock). If you go any bigger you really won't be able to hang on the option of keeping your filter cause then it really would be too much flow if you had a bigger power head AND your filter.

For this small of a tank I think a sump would be a little overkill however one cool idea would be too turn your filter into a hang on back refugium. You could do this by filling your filter with small prices of live rock. The filter would then become an idea place to grow living organisms that would prove beneficial to your system.

Huffers said:
Idk, 70 gph would be about right for a 5 gallon tank (which will actually hold about 4 gallons once you add sand and live rock). If you go any bigger you really won't be able to hang on the option of keeping your filter cause then it really would be too much flow if you had a bigger power head AND your filter.

For this small of a tank I think a sump would be a little overkill however one cool idea would be too turn your filter into a hang on back refugium. You could do this by filling your filter with small prices of live rock. The filter would then become an idea place to grow living organisms that would prove beneficial to your system.

I was totally joking about a sump, but I think the HOB refugium is a great idea.

I think even though 200gph is probably way too much flow it will be good to be able to adjust it if I need to. I'll probably go with that power head.

I'm considering removing the sand and doing a BB tank. I had originally wanted a goby (court jester) but with such a small tank I think I'd better just do a CUC of snails and a hermit or 2. Also, I'd love a fire shrimp. Is that possible?

I'd love some opinions on doing a BB pico reef. with live rock and live rock in the HOB as a refugium. By getting rid of the sand I'd be able to have more water volume.

I did exactly that when setting up my chi! Got a cheap filter took out some of the filter media and filled with LR and cheato! Power was a bit much tho and took it away.

Attachments

• image-2569385195.jpg
    image-2569385195.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 91
Ummm... Let's say I had one of those floating thermometer/hydrometer things that are really hard to read so probably not accurate. And lets say my 5 yr old played with it and somehow managed to break it inside the aquarium and now there are little black balls and a bit of glass on the sand bed.

Do I have to throw away all the water?

The red stuff in the thermometer didn't break open. I'm now forced to buy a slightly more accurate hydrometer (will eventually get a refractometer) plus a new thermometer.

Oh cool, I didn't know that power head would adjust! Yea go with that one since you can always turn it down if it gets to be too much.

About removing the sand...... Don't do it. Yes you could have more water volume if you removed it but you'd be sacrificing the beneficial bacteria that would inhabit your sand once you add your live rock. It's critically important to give nitrifying bacterial plenty on places to grow. A well established sand bed can help immensely in a reef tank, especially one as small as yours.

Also don't add sand to your filter if you are going to make it a refugium. Just live rock. I've had the motors in filters burn up because sand got inside them. You could keep a fire shrimp in your pico. Personally that sounds like a great setup having the shrimp, maybe some blue leg hermits and your corals.

As long as you didn't leak any of the red stuff from the thermometer then your ok. Get the black balls and glass out and then you should be fine.

Huffers said:
As long as you didn't leak any of the red stuff from the thermometer then your ok. Get the black balls and glass out and then you should be fine.

Ok! Thank you for answering all of my questions!

I think I got all the little black balls out. Pain in the ***. I decided I'd test my ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia was .50 and of course 0 nitrites. I also removed more sand when I was trying to get the balls from the thermometer. I've got a 1" sand bed now.

Huffers said:
Ok 1" isn't bad. I won't remove anymore though. Any idea when you'll be adding your live rock?

No idea. I've got a guy on Craigslist who said he'd be able to find me a couple of pieces, but he didn't give me a price, or say how much he would be able to provide me. If I buy it from petco it's like $20 for a small rock. I'd have to contact the other LFS to see how much they sell for but I think it's about $6.99 a lb. I'm hoping I'm able to get some in the next month.

Ya know I've got some sitting in a bucket right now that I know I'm never gona use. Do you want it? Free of charge. I think if I sent it to you this coming Monday it would prolly get to you by the end of the week. Any die off may actually help your system cycle.

Huffers said:
Ya know I've got some sitting in a bucket right now that I know I'm never gona use. Do you want it? Free of charge. I think if I sent it to you this coming Monday it would prolly get to you by the end of the week. Any die off may actually help your system cycle.

Sent you a pm

I have about a cup or two worth of sand from Virginia beach sitting on my counter from my vacation this summer. Could I put it in my tank?

If you did I would boil it first to remove any potential bacteria that would be in it. But yes you could use it.

200 gph adjustable powerhead is perfect
that way if you need a coral with really high flow you can aim it right at it or adjust it and still have lots of flow around the tank

great choice

Are you accounting for evaporation loss?
A good trick is to mark the water line with marker, a fine scratch, a piece of tape somewhere unnoticeable and fill it to that line periodically with ro water

scottayy said:
Are you accounting for evaporation loss?
A good trick is to mark the water line with marker, a fine scratch, a piece of tape somewhere unnoticeable and fill it to that line periodically with ro water

I was thinking about that. I need to make a mark on the tank somewhere.

Definitely. With such a small tank I would think that would be your most critical factor.

scottayy said:
Definitely. With such a small tank I would think that would be your most critical factor.

Just as a separate idea please remember that if you have a hang on filter and you loose power the water in the filter/refugium will empty into the tank.

Might be something to think about before you set the level of the water to avoid overflowing

Back
Top Bottom