fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ huffers - I did not.

@ Scottayy - my hydrometer couldn't go higher. Lol!

I'll start adding in RO tomorrow and it to 1.025 then do the water change.

Any opinions about the condition of the goby?

Wouldn't get it. I mean it could just be physical injuries and stress. But it could be severely infected with something and about ready to die anyways.

They are pretty cheap though if you want to try to save it. But keep in mind if it has something like marine ich, your tank would have to go fallow for a while to allow the disease to die off.. which is a bummer.

I don't think I've ever read a positive story of someone trying to save a bad looking fish.

scottayy said:
Wouldn't get it. I mean it could just be physical injuries and stress. But it could be severely infected with something and about ready to die anyways.

They are pretty cheap though if you want to try to save it. But keep in mind if it has something like marine ich, your tank would have to go fallow for a while to allow the disease to die off.. which is a bummer.

I don't think I've ever read a positive story of someone trying to save a bad looking fish.

That's how I was feeling about it. Unless he has severely improved when I go back this week I'm not going to buy him. Bummer...

I just looked up Marine Ich. I'm pretty sure the hippo tang in the tank with high has it. I will look more closely when I go back to the store.

So I tested my water today. Looks like
Ammo .50
Trites 2.0?
Trates: getting higher

So that tells me that my nitrifying bacteria are hard at work.

What do you guys suggest I do? Go ahead with the water change this afternoon? Also, do you guys believe that a whole cube of bloodworms is just too much for my tank to handle so that's why I get a spike after I dropped them in? I'm feeling like that's the issue.

Attachments

• image-2963086144.jpg
    image-2963086144.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 72
I redid my rock. Again. I tried to make a cave and tried to hide some of the whiter rocks that I have. Let me know what you guys think.

Convict- I was trying to take your advise. I like the new scape but I would like one more piece to put on top of the large flat piece on the right side of the front view of the tank. Also, I used a black binder to see how the right side would look with a black background and I like it.

image-3503608980.jpg

Left side

image-1641076827.jpg

Front view

image-757603690.jpg

Birds eye view

Ok i really like that one more. Any more pieces and it will look too crowded

Gboy66 said:
Ok i really like that one more. Any more pieces and it will look too crowded

I was thinking it looked flat... But then I remembered I can use different corals to add height. Taller branching corals, Duncan, things of that nature.

I know you live zoas, but what is your favorite coral you own?

Bearchumjs said:
I was thinking it looked flat... But then I remembered I can use different corals to add height. Taller branching corals, Duncan, things of that nature.

I know you live zoas, but what is your favorite coral you own?

True.

Torch!! I LOVE torches, frogspawns, and hammers. But yes, i really like palys and zoas too

Gboy66 said:
True.

Torch!! I LOVE torches, frogspawns, and hammers. But yes, i really like palys and zoas too

I like torch corals and frogspawns too, but I am afraid that in such a small tank they will sting my other peaceful corals so I thought a duncan would be a good compromise. I'll have an enormous torch when I get big reef tank! :)

Bearchumjs said:
I like torch corals and frogspawns too, but I am afraid that in such a small tank they will sting my other peaceful corals so I thought a duncan would be a good compromise. I'll have an enormous torch when I get big reef tank! :)

Very true! Ok. So that suggestion didnt help. I would say my next fav would be the GSP. I love the way it spreads, and is very beautiful IMO

Gboy66 said:
Very true! Ok. So that suggestion didnt help. I would say my next fav would be the GSP. I love the way it spreads, and is very beautiful IMO

Oh yeah! I forgot about those. They sway in the water flow all pretty. I like pulsing Xenia too.

Ok- I'm heading to the store to get some water so that I can fix my salinity problem I have with my pwc water. I tested nitrites about 2 hours ago and they were bright purple. >2.0ppm.

What course of action should I take? Do a 100% pwc today since I will have enough water made up, or do a 2-3 gal pwc today and a 2-3 gal pwc when the nitrites disappear on their own in a few days. And how do I know it's cycled for a fish? I don't want to kill a fish. I feel like I've made this take longer than it should have taken, and that if I didn't add blood worms the other day then I could be putting a little fish or crab in the tank today...

Oh- huge question- can Pom Pom crabs and emerald crabs get marine Ich?

I LOVE the new scape!! Looks awesome. And it looks bigger then a 5 gallon when viewing the pictures TRUST me!

Awesome job!! :)

Now can't wait for the light ;)

Convict2161 said:
I LOVE the new scape!! Looks awesome. And it looks bigger then a 5 gallon when viewing the pictures TRUST me!

Awesome job!! :)

Now can't wait for the light ;)

I agree looks great and don't worry too muck about the whiter rock in a month or two it will be covered in coraline

I love my frogspawn! Wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have a tube anemone in my 4 gallon pico and they both do great.

The new scape us much better too. Like the cave opening on the front. It will look great filled with zoas and other corals.

Ok! So I have my water and I will be doing a pwc tonight.

Also- the citrine goby looked better today! He was swimming all over the place. I was able to get a close up picture. He was more colorful today. There was some salty spots on the glass.

Now my concern is that I feel like the blue tang in the tank with him has Ich. And so does the tang in the tank next to his...

Should I just see if they can order me a goby and then I can pick it up before they put it in their tanks?

Can hermit crabs, snails, Pom Pom crabs and shrimp carry Ich?

Attachments

• image-2771969399.jpg
    image-2771969399.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom