fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leathers are not sps, they are soft corals. Birdsnest is sps though I believe. 90gph is pretty good! But eventually you may want more flow and/or directional flow. Especially for SPS corals. The 90gph going straight down might not be optimal.

scottayy said:
Leathers are not sps, they are soft corals. Birdsnest is sps though I believe. 90gph is pretty good! But eventually you may want more flow and/or directional flow. Especially for SPS corals. The 90gph going straight down might not be optimal.

I've thought about getting a nano PH. I have another filter rated for a 20 gal tank. That would make more flow. But it would still be a downward flow. I wonder if I could fabricate something that would make the water go a different direction... I think I would just need something to deflect the water like in my photo.

Attachments

• image-1062325194.jpg
    image-1062325194.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 73
So... I want to turn off the bubble stone. Judging by these photos with the bubbler off, does it appear to be turbulent enough for proper gas exchange?

Attachments

• image-1820778699.jpg
    image-1820778699.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2908192582.jpg
    image-2908192582.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 79
I would look into an additional power head to get some more flow and surface agitation. Take a look at the Hydor Koralia Nano 425. It's super small, and while it just wasn't enough for my 28g cube, it would be perfect for your tank! If you place it on the opposite side from your filter and aim it up a bit, you should be good to go! Oh, and they're cheap! Right around $30 online.

Qube said:
I would look into an additional power head to get some more flow and surface agitation. Take a look at the Hydor Koralia Nano 425. It's super small, and while it just wasn't enough for my 28g cube, it would be perfect for your tank! If you place it on the opposite side from your filter and aim it up a bit, you should be good to go! Oh, and they're cheap! Right around $30 online.

Would I place it in the bottom of the tank and point it upwards at a 45• angle or near the top and have it only slightly pointed up?

img_2113856_0_62afa5ca65b17affe6df75c7cca9b8e1.jpg

img_2113856_1_09a8659c0c616e38299fd5273d9777b7.jpg

img_2113856_2_9d1d905097d23785b19cc59d254bee7c.jpg

I just stuck mine behind that big rock, they are very small and pack a decent punch. Mine was priced up but I only paid 25.00 for it.

I tried to get a pick with the tube anemone so you can see the flow.

That's a GREAT pump. I upgraded to that pump on my 8 gallon nuvo. It also is nice because it doesn't produce as much heat.

A cold saltwater company uses those pumps in there nano tanks for that reason. A great addition IMO.

BEARCHUM! Is condensation an issue for you? Im not sure I like the condensation on the lid of my tank. Does it block light?

Here's my tank lid. It's been a whole day since I rinsed it. Very little condensation, very little salt build up. I seriously have not needed to top off since Sunday. The salinity stays the same and the water level hasn't dropped. I have a mark on the tank so I can tell. I personally don't think it effects the light. But I don't really know.

Attachments

• image-2825572206.jpg
    image-2825572206.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 62
A glass top will deflect some light, about 4% of the light will be deflected, also as moisture builds up and you get condensation those droplets of water will further deflect and absorb light. Not to deter you from using a top just wanted you to have this information.

Convict2161 said:
A glass top will deflect some light, about 4% of the light will be deflected, also as moisture builds up and you get condensation those droplets of water will further deflect and absorb light. Not to deter you from using a top just wanted you to have this information.

That's what I figured. I don't have any coral yet, but I'll see what happens and if I have to remove it.

Bearchumjs said:
That's what I figured. I don't have any coral yet, but I'll see what happens and if I have to remove it.

Just remember you have a powerful light for that little tank so it might not even matter. If it was a Par30 maybe but the Par38 your probably getting a lot of light even with the top. I just wanted to share a bit of information :)

Convict2161 said:
Just remember you have a powerful light for that little tank so it might not even matter. If it was a Par30 maybe but the Par38 your probably getting a lot of light even with the top. I just wanted to share a bit of information :)

Thank you! I can always lower it or raise a little if I need to also! Can't wait!

Guess what today is guys!? Fish day!!

Back
Top Bottom