fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had good luck with the natural seawater from petco. That's all I use in my 10 gallon reef tank.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yup cycle it then add a CUC, then get a shrimp.

The shrimp will smell horrible... I had to remove mine because it was in my room...

Ideal temp is 79 IMO

Wouldn't a shrimp be considered part of the CUC?

Maybe I can just use some ammonia for the cycling?

Huffers said:
I've had good luck with the natural seawater from petco. That's all I use in my 10 gallon reef tank.

No crazy algae problems etc? And I would use RODI water for top offs right?

That guy selling dead live rock said his rock is well worth $8-$10 per lb... Yeah. Ok. It must have gold dust in it.

Hopefully I can get ahold of the other guy and see what his price is.

Bearchumjs said:
That guy selling dead live rock said his rock is well worth $8-$10 per lb... Yeah. Ok. It must have gold dust in it.

Hopefully I can get ahold of the other guy and see what his price is.

Lol all dead live rock would have is dead bacteria on it, so it would probably give you algae if he never cleaned it off or something.

No you should be just fine. I've tested several packages and never had any nitrate issues and salinity has been a consistent 1.024. They advertise that the water has been filtered so that you shouldn't be adding unwanted phosphates or nitrates. From my experience that claim has proven to be true. Here's a pic of my tank.

Attachments

• image-3109961258.jpg
    image-3109961258.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 129
Huffers said:
No you should be just fine. I've tested several packages and never had any nitrate issues and salinity has been a consistent 1.024. They advertise that the water has been filtered so that you shouldn't be adding unwanted phosphates or nitrates. From my experience that claim has proven to be true. Here's a pic of my tank.

That looks great!

Yeah, huff, very pretty. If all thats taken care of, go for it. Although I'd be worried about the calcium and alkalinity, but those don't really matter at this point in the build.

I just purchased the 10 gal instant ocean salt mix, a hydrometer, and a piece of tufa rock. Also a litterbox and scratching post thing.

Guys- I may have just come up with a solution to the "cover" problem. I'll elaborate more when I'm done grocery shopping.

Thanks guys. Only thing you might wana pick up in addition to what you've got is a refractometer. There much more accurate in measuring the salinity when you mix your own saltwater.

Huffers said:
Thanks guys. Only thing you might wana pick up in addition to what you've got is a refractometer. There much more accurate in measuring the salinity when you mix your own saltwater.

+1

I love my refractometer, I wish I would have bought it right away. They are cheaper on eBay.

Bearchumjs said:
Guys- I may have just come up with a solution to the "cover" problem. I'll elaborate more when I'm done grocery shopping.

So I have this cover which is designed for the fluval chi filter to fit in the middle. If I cut away part of it to accommodate the hob filter I have (not the fluval chi filter) and also cut out the inner part leaving it about 1 inch thick all the way around I could glue some window screen to the underside and voila! I will have a cover. Here's a photo of the cover.

And a refractometer will probably have to be my next purchase. I can use my API freshwater master test kit for cycling right? Just the colors will be a little different than my color card, right?

Well i use my freshwater test kit for my saltwater tank, i just got a new colour card that is for saltwater. Email API an they will send you one for free... Either that or it costs like 2$

I'm getting excited about my tank. I'll go buy some RODI water sometime this weekend- maybe tomorrow, and get to mixing. Can I just mix the water in my tank since there is nothing living in it yet? How long should I wait to turn on the filter after I add the salt and stir it like crazy?

View attachment 111818

My little tank so far :)

Yes you can fill your tank with RO And add some salt, except i did mine without sand in there already so i dont know exactly. Turn ob the filter when you cant see sand or anything floating around

Oh and i like the xbox controllers :) lol

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yes you can fill your tank with RO And add some salt, except i did mine without sand in there already so i dont know exactly. Turn ob the filter when you cant see sand or anything floating around

Oh and i like the xbox controllers :) lol

I can take out the sand first... But I figure if I had stuff in it I wouldn't have to worry about the water displacement and accidentally put in too much water.

Xbox rocks. My husband and I play MW3 and have preordered the black ops game.

I don't think it will be very good. Red LEDs are very overpowering and they have three. Thats a ton of red for a 5 gallon. I only see blue LEDs for the moonlights too, which is an additional three. The rest is white, corals get most of their growth with the blue LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom