fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some pictures.

57623-albums10765-picture50501.png

57623-albums10765-picture50526.png

Last edited:
Now I just need to figure out what coral to add next. Pulsing Xenia on the left side, brown rock? It's a low light high flow area. If not Xenia, then what?

Bearchumjs said:
Now I just need to figure out what coral to add next. Pulsing Xenia on the left side, brown rock? It's a low light high flow area. If not Xenia, then what?

Xenia would be ideal anywhere you want to put it. Other than that I think a toadstool leather or Kenya tree would both be happy in that spot. Flat rocks like that are nice for vertical corals. With a toadstool you could easily propagate it to make a colony of around 5 on that rock and give that side a stunning effect. Almost like a mini forest or grove of toadstools, but it could also be done with the other coral choices like Xenia, Kenya trees or whatever else you find that would be happy with subdued light and vigorous flow. Duncans would also look nice in your tank.

Xenia would be ideal anywhere you want to put it. Other than that I think a toadstool leather or Kenya tree would both be happy in that spot. Flat rocks like that are nice for vertical corals. With a toadstool you could easily propagate it to make a colony of around 5 on that rock and give that side a stunning effect. Almost like a mini forest or grove of toadstools, but it could also be done with the other coral choices like Xenia, Kenya trees or whatever else you find that would be happy with subdued light and vigorous flow. Duncans would also look nice in your tank.

Toadstools... I will have to look those up.

I'd love a Duncan. They would be fine in high flow and low light? Thank you for your input. It's good to have some choices!

You need some coverage. So a big rock with something on it lol. Or a big leather! I love leathers.

You need some coverage. So a big rock with something on it lol. Or a big leather! I love leathers.

I'm thinking yellow toadstool(unless I can find a red one), blue devils finger leather and a green Kenya tree. So now I need $120... Not including shipping. And I should look into getting some phytoplankton or something?

You probably won't want to feed your corals much if at all. In a tank that small without a skimmer or a refugium feeding corals can just mess up the water, at least in the beginning. They should get some food from normal frozen mysis or brine shrimp that you use for the fish.

You'd want to place the Duncan under the light in indirect flow. They even do well on the sand in many tanks. They can be target fed tiny amounts of frozen mysis or brine. Put softies on the outside areas.

You probably won't want to feed your corals much if at all. In a tank that small without a skimmer or a refugium feeding corals can just mess up the water, at least in the beginning. They should get some food from normal frozen mysis or brine shrimp that you use for the fish. You'd want to place the Duncan under the light in indirect flow. They even do well on the sand in many tanks. They can be target fed tiny amounts of frozen mysis or brine. Put softies on the outside areas.

Copy that on the coral food.

Ok. So Duncan on the right side in the light in an area with low/indirect flow. I think I have the right spot. And then the leather, toadstool, and Kenya tree on the left side where there is lower light and higher flow. This could end up looking really good. Those 4 coral, a pulsing Xenia at some point, some red mushrooms, a skunk cleaner shrimp and of course more zoas and palys... Yep. This is gonna be awesome.

Bearchumjs said:
Copy that on the coral food.

Ok. So Duncan on the right side in the light in an area with low/indirect flow. I think I have the right spot. And then the leather, toadstool, and Kenya tree on the left side where there is lower light and higher flow. This could end up looking really good. Those 4 coral, a pulsing Xenia at some point, some red mushrooms, a skunk cleaner shrimp and of course more zoas and palys... Yep. This is gonna be awesome.

I couldn't agree more, except... it's already getting awesome! ^_^

Um... My ricordia is... Moving. Like- actually moving. I wasn't for sure but I can definitely tell it is not in the same spot as it was yesterday...

But why? It seems to be moving towards higher light... Maybe more flow... Maybe it will find its happy place on its own.

*1 one of the benefits if having a ricordia instead of per say a zoa or sps. The will move themselves to where they are happy. Let him do his thing and you may like where he ends up. :)

Got some chemi pure elite today. I'm going to take out the purigen and just use the chemi pure. Petco had a toadstool but they wanted $30 for it so I passed. Still wish I knew what was up with my froggy.

Back
Top Bottom