Fluval Edge Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenatron

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all:

I have a Fluval Edge, I initially planned to go freshwater as I've never done saltwater before (I know, booo, ewww!), but I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to make it a reef.

Before it's said: I know my first reef should be larger, but it's just not an option right now. I'm willing to do everything in my power that is necessary to keep it stable. Back to it then..

If you're not familiar with the Fluval Edge, it's a 6 gallon. It looka like dis..
img_1232825_0_69707ee71565f01f9917b59919554521.jpg

Under the hood in the center is a small opening. Measuring by thumb, lol, it's approximately 6" by 4". The black brace-type thing behind the tank is empty and hollow. An AquaClear 20 (or 30? I'm unsure, lolzies) sits in that area. A lighting bar also comes out to hang over the opening. It came stocked with 2 halogens, which pretty much everyone replaces with MR11 Led bulbs, as I did.

Pictures of the inside/canopy:
Lighting bar down:
img_1232825_1_096f1a8c888e20b26eb2bebf6259d186.jpg

Front view of lighting bar down:
img_1232825_2_b5b09bdddbc72303832f22456daeb6b0.jpg

Lighting bar partially up:
img_1232825_3_40cf3b4332f3767a1bd74ac678d337fc.jpg

Lighting bar all the way up:
img_1232825_4_32885d344cbcd85363e4bd57db28c1bf.jpg

Inside of canopy/hood:
img_1232825_5_686623b532f8b23e2c681a013e76fda1.jpg

Things I know I'm doing:
-Hydor 15w mini heater (intended for under gravel use) housed in the filter.
-Spray painting the grill (probably black), not only for aesthetic purposes, but reports of salt rusting it.
-Some sort of moonlight, still weighing my options. Right now I'm considering this.
-Replacing my big ugly mag float with a Two Little Fishies Nano Mag.
-Fixing some sort of mesh over the filter intake.
-Mylar Ballon Reflector mod on the inside of the hood/canopy.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this:
-Koralia Nano 240.

Conditional things:
-If I keep the led bulbs/light bar, then I'll rig a 10w 50/50 coralife bulb onto the light bar.
- In the case of the above ^, I'll create a splashguard to protect the led bulbs.

My plans for stocking (These are seperate ideas, not all at once! Also, I'm looking for input):
-Softies, possibly some LPS or NPS
-Snails for CUC
-1 Clown goby
-1 Firefish
-Sexy shrimp

What others have done for lighting:
-2 led bulbs, and a 50/50 coralife.
-DIY Leds
-Removed light bar, multiple coralifes attached to hood/canopy
-Nanocustoms Fluval Edge LED fixture
-Various lighting fixtures place on top of the glass, ruining the aesthetics. (AKA, that's a no ;))
-Flexible blue led strip around the inside lip of the opening (for moonlight).

Filter options:
-Purigen
-Chemipure
-Live rock rubble

If you search on nano-reefs there are tons of Fluval Edge builds with different lighting setups, some I mentioned above. But I wanted to know if you guys had any insight here at AA, since it seems I'm the only one with an Edge here.

So, the big questions are:
-What do you think is the best lighting option for my ambitions?
-Are my ideas for stocking appropriate?
-What should be housed in the filter?

Thank you for taking your time to read, and thanks in advance for your help!

i think the best lighting is that nano tuners fixture you linked. pricey though!
a softy tank would be easiest. high end zoas perhaps?
with one fish in the tank i don't think you are going to have nitrate issues. i would use carbon in the filter and water changes to replenish trace elements.

Any updates on this tank?? Did you end up going saltwater? I was thinking about getting this tank for a small one to put on my desk, it's very pretty :)

To be honest, if you want any sort of corals I wouldn't suggest it. Soo many build threads I've found on other websites end after a few posts because the tank is such a challenge. Keeping the stock look, yet having adequate lighting without spending a fortune is a huge undertaking. Right now I'm considering scrapping the whole thing, selling what I can, and getting a 7.5 Mr. Aqua rimless bow-front and putting a par 38 over it because it will still be cheaper than doing some legit lighting for this tank. Trying to find a good, yet cost-efficient lighting solution is outweighing the "cool factor" of the Edge.

hmm true it would be hard to replace the lighting it comes with. I'm definitely going to look for a rimless one and id like it to be rectangle...like no bow-front...i find the curved glass a lot harder to clean since the magfloat doesn't touch down flat on it. I've been using one of those metal edge scrappers on my 28 gal nano since the front is curved...but i think it might be too big for a nano that small.

Yeah, I didn't want a bow-front, but I'm limited to a 20" stand and wanted to make the most out of the area that I had, it just happened to be bow-front.

Have you looked into getting the fluval chi? I stopped at petland on my way home to see what they had for small tanks and saw one. They look pretty nice, the light/filter thing on top can be removed easily and so can the planter box on the bottom. I think this might be the tank i end up going with...would have to figure out something for some water movement, and I'd probably have to make a new light unless i could find a nice clip on one that was strong enough to support corals.

I might also look into making a tank or getting one custom made. We had the sump for our 260 gal tank made and i don't think it was too overly priced.

Just some thoughts :) Do you have the bow-front boughten already?

I have a Fluval Chi. :lol: (I'm a sucker for these types of tanks) The tank is made fine, but the light and filter are garbage.
I haven't bought the bow-front yet. I was considering using the Chi's tank and working from there. Still just considering all the options.

I like the look of the fluvals too. It'll be awesome! I've been thinking of doing a small reef too.

Keep
us
posted!
<3

Jen good luck with the project.
i did the same thing by starting with the Fluval EBI and upgrading everything to get to a point where would have been way better to start right from the get go with a system that fits your needs...I know the Fluval tanks are hard to resist though! The are such nice designs...

I think one day I'll use it for just zoas and mushrooms, but for right now I'd like to try LPS as well. So I'm pretty sure I will be doing a different tank, it'll be cheaper than lights for the Edge!

For the record:
The Edge will be used as a betta tank, lolz. Like I said, maybe at a later date it could be a zoa tank, but not now.
I did instead get another tank for a much lower cost than upgrading the lights for the Edge, and I'll be starting a build thread today.

Back
Top Bottom