Fluval Spec 2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can throw a few pieces of rock or rubble where the sponge is you may see some nice copepod action going on in there. It would also pull double duty as natural filtration media. Some shops sell scrap live rock rubble for pretty cheap. Just throwing out an option. Leaving the bags is definitely a good thing. I replaced the carbon bag for a 100ml bag of Purigen in my daughter's Spec 5 but it's a planted FW tank. If you remove the sponge you would have room for both.

Awesome fish btw!

Thanks! :cool: So... Im currently running 2 small
bags of Seachem Matrix. If I switch to a bag of Matrix, a bag of Purigen, and some rock rubble, would that be ok? And if so, I would assume to have the rock on the bottom, with the bags on top for easier changing and access?

That should work. If you just pulled out the sponge it may be a good idea to wait a few more days before pulling the second bag of matrix. Small tanks can sometimes be sensitive to too many changes all in one week. Remember to put the bags in the highest flow areas in the compartment.

I haven't pulled anything yet... There's no livestock in it except for some bristle worms and a stomatella snail. Today I'm thinking about pulling the sponge, and adding some rubble, but keeping both bags of Matrix in there. With no sponge, I will have room to combine both those bags into 1, and add another bag with Purigen, all on top of some rubble that I may just add from my 55 gallon...

Oh, you already have cured rubble. Can't beat that. Now's the ideal time to modify the filter. I forget how new your setup is. How are you liking the Spec 2 so far?

Some updated pics... Caulerpa is growing strong lol. Nitrates present. My LFS had a Catalina for me but it disappeared in the tank, as it was about 1/4" big 8-( They have another one on order though. There's 2 or 3 Stomatellas, multiple bristle worms, and copious amounts of Copepods...

image-3009668673.jpg

Front and side views. Still waiting to pull the trigger on a light!

Attachments

• image-975251839.jpg
    image-975251839.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 110
Just ordered the 6" Wavepoint and Hydor 180 gallon pump. Can't wait til the 13th :cool:

Did you check the pump? Small animals can sometimes end up going over the overflow and get sucked against the pump. I added a small sponge over the teeth of the overflow to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filtration on my daughter's spec 5. You just cut notches into the sponge and fit them into the overflows teeth. It's a common spec mod.

Did you check the pump? Small animals can sometimes end up going over the overflow and get sucked against the pump. I added a small sponge over the teeth of the overflow to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filtration on my daughter's spec 5. You just cut notches into the sponge and fit them into the overflows teeth. It's a common spec mod.

Lol didn't get lost in my tank, the LFS lost it... I did however see a copepod about half an inch long in the overflow last night :cool: looked like a little shrimp!

Definitely following! I have a 2.5 nano reef cycling right now. :)

Awesome! My new light and pump upgrade will
be here this week i can't wait!

What pump are you using? I have just a little nano pump running. I have some purigen on the way for it, though. I now wish I had gotten LEDs, after reading your thread. I got a single 13w power compact fixture.

Just ordered a Hydor 180 gph nano pump... Cheap on Amazon lol

Nevermind. Just looked and it is the same pump. I bought it for my 10 gallon nano reef and it was sufficient. I'm about to move it over to my pico. :) good choice!

Nice thanks.. I'm real happy about the light tho, so is the wife lol

Nice thanks.. I'm real happy about the light tho, so is the wife lol

Yw. Lol. That's always a plus. We'll see about this one. It was only $20 bucks, so if I like it, I did well. If I don't I didn't waste a bunch of money. Lol. Excited to see how yours do in terms of keeping corals. I may upgrade sometime. :) fwiw, I like your scaping!

Yw. Lol. That's always a plus. We'll see about this one. It was only $20 bucks, so if I like it, I did well. If I don't I didn't waste a bunch of money. Lol. Excited to see how yours do in terms of keeping corals. I may upgrade sometime. :) fwiw, I like your scaping!

Thanks! I may need to tweak just a little bit, but it's getting there...

Spent some time fitting a new Cobalt heater in the overflow. Removed the sponge that came with it, and combined the 2 bags of Matrix I had in there. Also added a PolyFilter, it fit perfectly. Here's some pics...

image-3179277970.jpg

Attachments

• image-258568174.jpg
    image-258568174.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2034745231.jpg
    image-2034745231.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3963411569.jpg
    image-3963411569.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 71
hey man nice set up.
i was thinking of starting a nano tank too! i was thinking a 10g fluval.
this thread gave me a lot of ideas!!

thanks

Back
Top Bottom