Fluval Spec 2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My new Catalina arrived this week and I pick her up Tues. night. Saw her eating like a champ. I'm
pretty excited. Also, I need to speak about the excellent quality and performance of this Cobalt nano heater. It keeps the water very consistent (72) and indicates desired temp and actual temp. I thought that $45 was high for a nano heater but have zero regrets on this one.

Im also very pleased with my decision to double the amount of Matrix in the overflow in addition to a large poly filter. I feel like this media will be very effective in the long run, and I will reevaluate the situation once everything settles in further, as to if I will decrease the Matrix by half and add some Purigen. It really depends on the parameters.

I am still undecided on the pump upgrade, as my struggle to retro fit the Hydor humbled me into
realizing the tiny amount of space for a pump (2"x2") And I may just need to be content with the one that came with it.

Tank is converting ammonia like a champ and nitrates are low due to Culerpa which I have cut back and removed some already. Pods are hugely populated and getting plumper every day. This is going to be a happy little goby, and I can't wait to add 3 or 4 sexy shrimp. Then time for the corals ...

How am I supposed to drip acclimate a fish when I only have 2 gallons in tank to begin with? It will drain the tank if I do it over an hour lol??

How am I supposed to drip acclimate a fish when I only have 2 gallons in tank to begin with? It will drain the tank if I do it over an hour lol??

You can float the bag and every 10-15 minutes add a little less then a **** glass full of your water. And repeat for an hour. I've had to use this method in my tiny 8 gallon. Like you said it would drain my tank.

Cool thanks Con... That's kinda what I was planning on but needed to hear a success story. Stay tuned for pics this fish is awesome :cool:

Just started following and skimmed through the rest of the thread to make sure I got the gist of it. I just got a 2.5 gallon fluval and was planning on a small coral garden. Before trying dwarf seahorses. I really needed help on choosing a heater so thanks for the review of the one you choose! How is the Catalina? I really like them and was gonna think about that or a clown goby

Just started following and skimmed through the rest of the thread to make sure I got the gist of it. I just got a 2.5 gallon fluval and was planning on a small coral garden. Before trying dwarf seahorses. I really needed help on choosing a heater so thanks for the review of the one you choose! How is the Catalina? I really like them and was gonna think about that or a clown goby

Didn't pick up the goby as planned... Will be gettin it this weekend. I believe the clown goby will be too big for a 2.5 gallon...

Catalina Goby added. Itsy bitsy little girl! Hard to see her but heres a pic...

image-3744145773.jpg

Also here's some recent pics of setup...

image-3004291698.jpg

image-3080065796.jpg

Took her home on Sunday. Night 1, fed her frozen mysis soaked in garlic power, and she loved it. Night 3, I fed her Ocean Nutrition formula 2 pellets, and she loved it... Hopefully this keeps up! Night 5, I will be feeding her some frozen brine soaked in garlic power, and night 7, some cyclopeeze... Will be doing small amounts every other night. Thoughts and or comments on this feeding schedule?

Hey just stopping in to see how everything is going, looks awesome.

EDIT:

Feeding schedule looks fine to me :)

Everything's good Con, thanks!! Im doing some research for some coral packs to get shipped. Any recommendations? Looking for softies...!

Great fish! For this setup I'd go with the easy basics: mushrooms, zoas, palays, toadstool leather, Kenya tree... Anything hardy with a good tolerance to water quality mishaps and lower light should be fine. I'd avoid LPSs in such a small tank just because of the sweepers. Any non aggressive soft corals should be fine. I especially recommend Xenia for small skimmerless tanks. They can act almost like cheato for nutrient export. You can harvest them often.

Let us know what you decide to get!

Great fish! For this setup I'd go with the easy basics: mushrooms, zoas, palays, toadstool leather, Kenya tree... Anything hardy with a good tolerance to water quality mishaps and lower light should be fine. I'd avoid LPSs in such a small tank just because of the sweepers. Any non aggressive soft corals should be fine. I especially recommend Xenia for small skimmerless tanks. They can act almost like cheato for nutrient export. You can harvest them often.

Let us know what you decide to get!

Thank you! The Catalina is awesome. Quite the sand pile engineer... I'm considering this for corals:

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/C-S...oft-Coral-Pack---6-corals--FREE-shipping.html

Would this be too much to put in this tank?

Back
Top Bottom