Fluval Spec 2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok picked one up a little while ago on sale, and have been looking at it collect dust! I need some input on what I can put in this tank. I know it's not going to be much at all, I'm more interested in what corals I can put in it with the LEDs that came with it. Also, should I pull the media that came with it and just use the filter as circulation? I don't think there's going to be any room for a PH, but I did fill it with water and the filter return puts a decent flow in the tank. Should I do 1 piece of live rock, or many small pieces? And im pretty sure I know the answer but are there ANY fish I can put in here? Goby/pistol shrimp pair? For corals I'm thinking really only softies or LPS... Any help is great as this seems to be VERY different than running my 55 FOWLR!! Thanks! :cool:

Ummm not too sure what I'm looking to do, looking for some input! It's 2 gallons total but about 1.5 in tue display...

Ummm not too sure what I'm looking to do, looking for some input! It's 2 gallons total but about 1.5 in tue display...

Not much you can do. A pistol shrimp/goby pair and is call it a day.

Some snails and maybe some hermits.

Corals I'd be careful not much room to grow. Have you googled pico tanks. Some are really nice.

NOT MY IMAGES. Got them off google

image-770055973.jpg

image-4157971476.jpg

image-273646772.jpg

image-2455005904.jpg

I'd avoid fish in that tank. You can possibly make it into a mushroom and zoa tank if the LEDs are up to it. A pair of shrimp would be cool along with a scarlet red hermit and a couple of snails. If you can manage the zoas it could be beautiful. I'd also highly recommend using Purigen to help with organics.

It could be an awesome tank for 5-6 sexy shrimp, hermit or two, couple snails and some colorful corals. :)

I have my LFS doing some research for a possible fish... Might be considering a Catalina or Panda goby, and a pistol shrimp. I'm setting the tank up today... Will be buying 3 lbs of sand from the system at my LFS with some dead rock pieces, maybe 1-2 lbs of small pieces that I will fit together. I have an extra Koralia 450 nano, would this be overkill? The tank has a built in overflow and return. Maybe upgrade the return to a bigger one and achieve flow that way?

Here's a pic before set up... I'm hoping you guys will follow along as I'm sure this über nano tank will be quite a challenge for me, but I'm up for it and grateful for everyone's help and advice :cool:

image-1530609096.jpg

Just set up the nano! Got 3 lbs of live sand, 2 lbs of Fiji live small pieces... Filled er up and:

image-3193564770.jpg

Catalina's are super cool looking. And they are very tiny. :) Since they're cooler water fish, it would be cool to do one of those and a couple margarita snails, since those snails are also from cooler waters. That would be a nice tank. Ill be following. :)

I'm not happy with the scaping... Any help? This would be where the Con speaks up :cool:

I've been staring at your tank since you posted. Can you move the rock on the left? Turn it around so all the bumps and ridges face the front. Then take that top rock and place on the right side. Use the rock that's there now and place that on top of both rocks.

The flat rock I'm not sure of right now. Scaping is a personal choice but its always good to have extra sets of eyes ;)

Try moving things around if that idea doesn't work. You want to give the tank depth and height at the same time. It's a small foot print and when I scaped my 8 gallon it drove me CRAZY!!!

image-1566425294.jpg

Gorgeous tank brah! I have a few extra small pieces I picked up that i put in my 55 gallon as a backup in case I need some pieces. I'm gonna mess around with it tomorrow. Good news is I don't think I'm gonna need a powerhead. The return gives plenty of flow, so that's a plus... This tank is going to be very mentally challenging I think.

Gorgeous tank brah! I have a few extra small pieces I picked up that i put in my 55 gallon as a backup in case I need some pieces. I'm gonna mess around with it tomorrow. Good news is I don't think I'm gonna need a powerhead. The return gives plenty of flow, so that's a plus... This tank is going to be very mentally challenging I think.

Yeah it will be trust me!! It's very mentally taxing. With such a small area to work with. It drove me nuts!!

Well as long as I have some AA support I think I'll be able to motor through this... My LFS is super helpful too and has already offered to come by my condo to help scape this nano. I think they're pumped about seeing this tank "look stacked and work" according to what she said lol.

Back
Top Bottom