Freshwater or Saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shehoff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I want to start an aquarium but I had someone tell me that saltwater can be easier and the same cost as a freshwater tank to maintain. Is this true??
:fish2:
Thank you. :)

IMO yes it is true..The thing that frightens people about SW is the initial start up costs..which really can sky rocket depending on what you choose..for a fish only system however, the cost is relatively low compared to a reef set-up..

Thank you so much for writing back. I was thinking I wanted just a few fish, not many, and maybe a coral, anemone, or crabs? Might be too much. lol And I figure live sand and live rock would be recommended? What would you recommend to get started? Oh and I heard that ordering online can be lots cheaper?

Powerhead for a 75

IN your opinion would one powerhead be enough or do I need two? If two, should I place them on opposite sides of the tank?

What powerheads would you suggest?

shehoff said:
Thank you so much for writing back. I was thinking I wanted just a few fish, not many, and maybe a coral, anemone, or crabs? Might be too much. lol And I figure live sand and live rock would be recommended? What would you recommend to get started? Oh and I heard that ordering online can be lots cheaper?

Hi I am too new to this but done a lot of research and I found as I am half way through buying my nano reef,that the setup costs are a lot more than freshwater but don't be put off by this as the look of the tanks are so much better. With a fish only system u will probably not need a skimmer so kit u would need would be a good power head, filter, t5 lighting preferably and maybe live sand!? Like I said I'm new too but that's what I found out so far.

What size tank was you thinking as saltwater fish need a lot more room than freshwater.

Another thing would be live rock as you say but as for anemones I'd prob get experienced a bit first as they are not that easy to keep. Fish (clown fish are the one ppl associate with a anemones) don't need an anemone they only use them in the wild when threatened they hide in them as they can tolerate the sting. Most clowns are tank bred so will have never been in contact with one therefore might not adapt to it.

Hope hat helps

I have both fresh and saltwater tanks the up keep on saltwater tanks when done properly with water changes and everything is much more expensive than freshwater. The cost of ro water needs to be figured into that too even if you have an ro unit your water bill will go up and the filters need to be changed figure that into the cost. Cost of salt runs me about $15 a month but for my freshwater I just let the water set to let the chlorine dissipate. Food is more as well.

If you do a reef tank the cost of the power bill will go up if you use MH lights. LEDs cost a lot to start with, but cheaper to run and the jury is still out on those and how well they do. In 5 years there should be enough information gathered to decide if they are better than mh. Now there is even a newer light some sort of plasma light Plasma Lighting for Aquariums with Early Testing by Aqua Illumination Just as I was getting enough information on LEDs to decide how many and what would be a good mix for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom