GoldieLocks 24gal Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha! Yep, the build is nearly on it's way to having sand and rock.

I have a question for you clever people!

How long do I have to have the lights on? Like, daylight and the other one.... See I know nothing about the lights. Can you please explain it really well for dumbo over here. MERCI

Daylight 8-10 hours and blue light for an hour extra on both sides to simulate sunrise and sundown

For example my blue light comes on at 9am and goes off at 9pm and the daylight comes on at 10am and goes off at 8pm
So blue light is on at the same time as daylight but an hour earlier to start and an hour longer to finishing day

You'll probably find your own times after a while depending on what corals you have and possible algae troubles also shorter light cycles prolong the life of your bulbs.

:)

Just to add fishlore website has been a good reference on explaining alot for beginners

I have main lights on 8 hours a day, but I never ever have my LED nightlights off... They stay on 24/7 and I never have any problems. ;-)

THANK YOU!! Really, that is very helpful info.

You both don't happen to know how the back chamber of a nano is supposed to be arranged?

Hiii!

It's been so long that I have posted.

First, I now have dry rock in the tank. As well as sand, I got fiji pink aroganite in the end. I love the pink flecks. It took forever to get the sand clean though!

Now, I need to add salt again, long story but I had to empty the whole tank.. So now I have to re-dose with salt. This time, I'm not going to put so much in. I'm still so un-experienced with all of this.

That leads me to my next question, I thought I knew how to use the Refractometer, but I am wrong... I looked at the instructions and my eyes popped out. LOL. Imma simple type of girl. I have attached a photo of the instructions so it would be really good if someone could just help me through with that.

Next, I am going to get live rock. Once I have worked out how to dose the right amount of salt. OH and one of my lights broke :( So bummed about that. Trawling the net to find another bulb now.

I also went to the fish shop yesterday, I took a few photos :dance: I've attached those as well :)

So, here you go guys....

Attachments

• DSCF1078.jpg
    DSCF1078.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF1092.jpg
    DSCF1092.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF1097.jpg
    DSCF1097.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF1109.jpg
    DSCF1109.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 108
Here are some more pictures from the fish shop and also what my tank looks like as of today :dance: The instructions are to follow.

Attachments

• DSCF1113.jpg
    DSCF1113.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF1115.JPG
    DSCF1115.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF1119.jpg
    DSCF1119.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1121.jpg
    DSCF1121.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 129
So... the picture of the instructions is rubbish. Instead I will type it out.

1- Aim the front end of the refractometer to the direction of bright light, and adjust the eyepeice until the reticle can be seen clearly. (I can do this bit)

2- Adjustment of null:

Open the daylight plate and place 2-3 drops of distilled water on the main prism. Close the daylight plate and press it lightly so the water spreads across the entire surface of the prism without air bubbles blahh blaah......

Now this is the bit I don't get....

Then adjust the Calibration Screw until the light/dark boundary coincides with the null line. Adjustmnet of refractometer with tempertuare compensation function should be made under the condition of 20'C environmental tempertuare.

3- Operation procedure is done after calibration and it is done in essentially the same manner as calibration. Blahhh blahh blahh...Put two to three drops on. Close the daylight plate and press it lightly, then read the corresponding scale of light/dark boundary.

I know that is ALOT, but if someone could please help me I would be really grateful. I was hoping the pictures would bribe someone.

Thank you :)

That's a nice fish shop. Good luck on your build ;)

Thought for a minute it was yours, thought, "all of that in two months??? What have I been doing wrong?"

If you do go with corals, opt for palys and mushrooms, they ought to do fine under those lights.

That's a nice fish shop. Good luck on your build ;)

Thought for a minute it was yours, thought, "all of that in two months??? What have I been doing wrong?"

If you do go with corals, opt for palys and mushrooms, they ought to do fine under those lights.

Aww, thank you for the advice. Yeah, the fish shop is really nice. I had never been there before, and I was thought 'ohh heck, why not!?' I wish I went there before!

Yes, I will be getting tons of those, and zoas aswell. Hey, you couldn't help on the refractometer question at all? :)

Oh and two more better pictures of the tank....

Attachments

• DSCF1120.jpg
    DSCF1120.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF1122.jpg
    DSCF1122.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 111
Hmm..I think I get you...

So, I drop some distilled water onto the glass bit. Then I put the calibration thing to the 0 line. But then what do I do? Do I add the salt and then....I'm really confused. Lol

Then just wipe off the distilled water and test your sw. If you zeroed out that black line to 0 then you're set.

I get it now! Thank you!! So simple as well...LOL. All my family are saying 'when are the fish going in, it looks so boring with out fish' Blah blah. Does anyone else get that alot?

LOL. It's like my mom and the questioning of when to expect a grandchild! people are weird like that....so when are the fishies going in?

I get that. My mother visits occasionally and says "hmm, no new fish?" Hard to resist spewing something rude haha.

Hahaha! I'm not the only one then. LOL.

Even though Carey, I don't think I'm quite at that stage in my life yet. LOL. Fish will be going in a week or two after the cycle is finished. Now, that is another mountain I've got to climb. I've been researching a LOT, but I will need a lot of second opinions. :) :)

I wouldn't have done this build if it wasn't for the people on this website! Thats for sure. I have a question...it's a commonly asked one probably. But, I see a lot of people add corals before they have finished their cycle. Is that okay? Will it harm them?

Back
Top Bottom