GoldieLocks 24gal Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't really seen as though your on to a good start and getting use to being patient is the hardest thing in this hobby so hold out.
Also you'll probably be worried about the little bugger testing your water everyday and doing loads of water changes.

FYI I cycled my tank with damsels ;)

I knoww. Okay. No fish. I can just imagine them in my head swimming around. The cycle will be starting on Saturday when I get live rock. The packaging is so expensive. £15! That's why it's taken me so long, it's expensive!

So are you putting cured live rock in an uncycled tank? If so your gonna let the rock die? Waste of money I you ask me, looks like you have enough rock to cycle also what media do you have in your filter?

Sorry have you already ordered it?...maybe should have asked that first :( if so it's gonna die first and you'll be getting your ammonia source from that but I wouldn't think your not gonna great amount of ammonia to build alot of beneficial bacteria you may end up with new tank syndrome when you add fish and possible death :( (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

I wouldn't say it would die imo. it has the bacteria on and in it. You might get dead spots where sponge or algae was growing on the live rock

So if the rock is fully cured and the die off is only ammonia source the cycle would be short? Is this enough then to add live stock? Or once a fish is added will the beneficial bacteria have to colonise more to cope with the bio load, in turn cycle again?

I think the cycle would be quicker and softer, as in not a solid good strong colonyt of bacteria. In that instance I would think any fish added after a "soft" cycle would cause an ammonia spike, just not sure if it would be signigicant though.

I've cycled my tanks with live rock and adding straight ammonia, dosing to 4ppm or even 8ppm to get a nice strong bacteria base. This is also the time to buy any base rock you may want cause that can cycle as well. :)

My Little Ocean said:
So are you putting cured live rock in an uncycled tank? If so your gonna let the rock die? Waste of money I you ask me, looks like you have enough rock to cycle also what media do you have in your filter?

I'm confused...why would the rock die? Do I need to cycle the tank before I put any live rock in? I was going to put live rock in and then start the cycle the same day. I thought because of the die off, it would start it's own mini cycle.

And in the back I have a heater, uv steriliser and filter in the far right compartment. In the middle I have nothing. And the far left I have the skimmer.

carey said:
I think the cycle would be quicker and softer, as in not a solid good strong colonyt of bacteria. In that instance I would think any fish added after a "soft" cycle would cause an ammonia spike, just not sure if it would be signigicant though.

I've cycled my tanks with live rock and adding straight ammonia, dosing to 4ppm or even 8ppm to get a nice strong bacteria base. This is also the time to buy any base rock you may want cause that can cycle as well. :)

Yeah, thats what I was hoping to do! I was going to dose with ammonia as well as the die off so the bacteria colony is strong enough to cope when I add fish.

Yep, that's what you need to do. :-D

There will be some "die off" due to the transport of the rock, that will also generate an ammonia source, just not sure how much, alot depends on the rock, how it was shipped and packed and delivery time.

That was my point Carey, my concern is there gonna be enough LR to 'soft' cycle to prevent a potential harmful ammonia-nitrite spike/mini cycle when livestock is added, we already have 'dead' rock in this tank so I don't think the amount if LR going in will be alot (not much die off).
I cycled with 17kg LR so die off/ammonia was quite substantial in terms of 'soft' cycle. then to add a small fish like you say the spikes were insignificant actually I didn't have one as I'm sure you can understand why.

Ahh good good wasn't sure if you would be dosing ammonia or just relying on the die off, I go back to previous statement it's a shame some hitchhikers will die, so if your dosing ammonia does it matter to wait for the live rock to arrive to start cycle?

My Little Ocean said:
Ahh good good wasn't sure if you would be dosing ammonia or just relying on the die off, I go back to previous statement it's a shame some hitchhikers will die, so if your dosing ammonia does it matter to wait for the live rock to arrive to start cycle?

I think I could. The thing is this weekend I have to send the hood to be repaired, so everything is much smellier. If I were to start dosing ammonia or put a shrimp in (I would like to go with the shrimp idea because I can't find decent ammonia) it would smell my living room out....

And that's another thing, do I need to have my lights on when I have live rock? I've read some threads and they've advised not to have the lights on during the cycle to prevent algae... Little bit of help :)

Phosphates,nitrates and silicates feed algae so in my opinion they will still be there as soon as you turn lights on, I guess it's up to you, but this is why I mentioned macro algae towards the start of your thread to help with phosphates and nitrates (unwanted algae). Your gonna see all types of algae as your tank matures actually I've enjoyed a few battles :) at the moment I have red valonia so I got a foxface and he's eating it all including other nuisances :)

The shrimp idea will work good you can even put some flake food to. it all brakes down to ammonia. The live rock is your base for your hole system and you need to build you base up. The bacteria feeds off of ammonia. So it dose not kill it you just don't have a significant amount of bacteria to eat all the ammonia. As you build your base bacteria it can consume more and more ammonia there for cycling your tank

I ordered the Live Rock today, it will arrive tomorrow! YAY. On the way! I also asked mum to get me one shrimp. And she said 'Just one...?' And I said 'Yes Mum, just one shrimp' LOL.

Back
Top Bottom