GoldieLocks 24gal Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the macro algae that feeds on NITRATE it needs light that's why in big systems that have LR/LRR in the sump have lights but for ammonia and nitrite not at all, read up on the bacteria that changes nitrate to a gas and the environment it needs to grown as I don't believe LRR is good enough as it's not porous enough to have areas inside that don't contain oxygen just my opinion :)

If she is also putting macro algae in the back then yep, she does need a light for that. If she is I musta missed the post. lol

As far as the powerhead, I think the second one would do just fine, but not at full blast. I have a 425gph onein my 29g cube and I find it's not enough, BUT when I put in a 750gph one it seemed too much. You just want good circulation between the powerhead and the return pump.

No lol! but I just want a newbie to control nitrates my dear :) and as goldielocks has a small system no doubt she'll want to cram a few small fish in there and have large demand on the filter also alot of beautiful coral and nitrates can have a negative effect just trying to help but obviously what do I know :)

I think goldi is doing awsome as far as the power heads I have the Koralia and its awsome I have never tryed the other so I cant realy compare lol

I'm gonna be following along with this thread I want to someday get in to salt water I thought I'd go for freshwater first, gain some knowledge on keeping fish as im a newbie :) And it's nice to know theres more people from the uk on here I was starting to think I was the only one lol. Good luck, coming along great so far :)

Sorry I havent replied in a while. I have been pretty busy with work! Thanks Mj for that link! I am defo gunna get that one! It's exactly what I wanted and pretty cheap too!

I still need the power heads. I havent got around to actually buying them yet. And I also need to get the RO. After that. I have everything and will be setting up. Probably next week Monday some time!

I saw the most adorable clowns in the fish shop today. One of them was hosting an anemone. IF my tank was all cycled and up and running, I would have got them :( They were gorgeous. Are damsels too big for a nano? Sorry if that is a stupid question.

Ermm. Apart from that, the salt came today. It is SOO heavy. Lol. Got some pictures...it seems like it will give coral good growth. So I am happy.

Attachments

• THE BOMB PHOTOS2201.jpg
    THE BOMB PHOTOS2201.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 134
  • THE BOMB PHOTOS2202.jpg
    THE BOMB PHOTOS2202.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 147
I'm gonna be following along with this thread I want to someday get in to salt water I thought I'd go for freshwater first, gain some knowledge on keeping fish as im a newbie :) And it's nice to know theres more people from the uk on here I was starting to think I was the only one lol. Good luck, coming along great so far :)

Hey Chris. Thanks, hopefully you will enjoy it! What part of the UK are you from?

Ahhhh a pail of salt more fun then a barrel full of monkeys. :) damsels can grow to 3.5 inch. or more and will get nasty as they age

Oh, thanks Grizz. Guess that's a no no. I have a question...when I am making water, do I have to have a powerhead in the bucket?

GoldieLocks1 said:
Hey Chris. Thanks, hopefully you will enjoy it! What part of the UK are you from?

Well u got me hooked so far, I'm taking notes of everything for when I get into sw tanks lol. And I'm from Gloucester, what about yourself??

Chris- When are you planning to get one? I live in Dorset

Grizz- Okay, so I need two powerheads and just one more heater. I already have one. I guess that means I need a thermometer too.

Other then that...not really anything to update on. I still haven't decided on my live stock :/

Get a Diamond Goby!! I really want a Mandarin Dragonet but too hard for a beginner. Maybe one day, how's the tank going I'm hopefully getting mine next week! Excited!!

if getting a diamond goby she should wait awhile for her sand to mature, they sift their food out of the sand. :) I've been waiting to get one for my tank as well, was just waiting for the sand to get some life before I did. :)

Ohhh... They do look lovely though! Carey, what is the name of the fish in your potm winning photo? The yellow one.

Back
Top Bottom