Good web sites to research fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning to start a SMALL aquarium and I've had problems locating good places on the web to research and search for sutable fish. I can find lots of web sites that will tell you that you need to consider the adult size of the fish, but I can't find many places that will tell you how big these fish are likely to get!

So far, the best place I've found is www.liveaquaria.com. They have colorful pictures, tell you the expected size of the fish, and what's the minimum suggested tank size.

Any other good sites you know of?[/url]

quarryshark said:
Why not here?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php
Or make a list and ask us. Lots of good experience here. :wink:

Since you asked, I'm looking to set up a small saltwater tank. Specifically, I've found an Eclipse 12 Saltwater kit for about $150 that's just about the right size and shape. because my 2yo and I like watching "Finding Nemo", I've got to have a percula clown fish. But I want more than just 1 fish. I'm looking for ideas of other fish that I can include in such a small tank with the clown.

The compatibility charts I've seen seem to indicate that I will want to consider Basslet, Blenny, Cardinal, Damsel, Dartfish, and Goby.

So far, a few specific ones I've found that look interesting include: Green Clown Goby, Citrinis Clown Goby, and White Blenny.

I've also seen that other clown fish could be included "with caution". Any specific suggestions there? Based on looks, I think it would be interesting to have a pair of percula or add a Black & White Percula.

Well the general rule of thumb is 2" of (adult size) fish per 10 gallons. The Clown would pretty much max you out. IMO, a clown should not be kept in a system that small anyways.
Of course this does not include inverts. You could add a few snails, hemits, etc. But as for fish ..not much (really any) more.
Possible consider a little larger tank, much more stable and many more option with a SW system.

Specifically, I've found an Eclipse 12 Saltwater kit for about $150 that's just about the right size and shape.
BTW, you could set up a 30 gallon for that price. At least the basics.

quarryshark said:
Specifically, I've found an Eclipse 12 Saltwater kit for about $150 that's just about the right size and shape.
BTW, you could set up a 30 gallon for that price. At least the basics.

Based on research I'm done reading previous post in the forum, I was under the impression that I could expect to spend about $500 for a 29-30 gallon FOWLR tank.

However, I'm not looking at the Eclipse 12 because of it's price. I like the system because...

1. It will fit on top of an existing microwave oven stand I have (it's 22" wide).
2. I like how the filtration and light are neatly packaged in the tank lid.

I mainly listed the unit and price so that anyone that woud like to comment that a system like that is NOT the way to go could say so. While obviously I don't want to spend more money than I have to, I also don't want to fall into the "WalMart Trap", where you buy a "cheap" kit only to be forced to upgrade all of the components.

Based on research I'm done reading previous post in the forum, I was under the impression that I could expect to spend about $500 for a 29-30 gallon FOWLR tank.
It may cost you that much in the long run, but you could upstart it cheaper than that. Also if you piece together your own components, you can get better quality stuff IMO. Some (not all) of those kits have less than good components. Not familiar with this nano, so I cannot comment on its quality.
However, I'm not looking at the Eclipse 12 because of it's price. I like the system because...

1. It will fit on top of an existing microwave oven stand I have (it's 22" wide).
2. I like how the filtration and light are neatly packaged in the tank lid.

I understand, it may work very well for you. I was just suggesting something a little larger because
A. It would be more stable
B. More options as for what you could place in it (animals).

You could look into the JBJ Nanocubes. They have a 24G tank that is similar to the one you described. All the filter components are in the back and somewhat hidden. It also comes ready to go. There are a few mods I would suggest to make it a better system, but I think you might like the size and shape of it.

tripper

Back
Top Bottom