GouramiLover's Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This would be something I would seek out one of the vets about. I've never seen anything like it to where the center will evacuate across the shared wall in a favite or across those in a favia.

Vet? Suggestions on who to ask? Also, as I was cleaning the glass with a soft toothbrush I accidentally brushed this coral and the green just came right off in that spot. It looked like it was not even physically attached. Like the slime on the coral piece was all that was holding it there. The red parts looks fine still. It is even spreading onto the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could it be a virus or bacterial infection? I'm just guessing as I've never seen anything like this

There is still tissue in the coral? That doesn't sound healthy at all.

Yes. And the edges are growing still, noticeably day to day. Whatever is happening the red tissue appears to be living.

I have made a post in the unhealthy fish and coral section to get more eyes/opinions on the problem.

Could it be a virus or bacterial infection? I'm just guessing as I've never seen anything like this

I have some lugols, should I try dipping it? I hate to remove it since it is attaching itself to the rock, but if you more experienced reefers think it will help I am willing to do it.

Alright, it has been awhile since I updated this. Everything is looking good including the favia I was having trouble with.

I just did a partial water change and in depth scrub so not everything is open, but here are some pics anyways!

I also added a sixline wrasse. After a lot of research I found that having a sixline wrasse in my size tank is a highly controversial topic. 50 percent say it's fine and the other 50 say that your pushing it. In any case, Piglet (that's it's name) will be my only fish. I have a small population of flatworms that piglet has taken care of very quickly. Piglet also enjoys swimming around the tank and finding every nook and cranny he/she can swim through. Overall, a very fun and active fish.

Other than that, I have attached some of my zoas to dead coral skeletons. I am hoping they will cover the skeletons eventually.

Also, I found a large rock with purple zoas for sale and I am very excited to get it either Thursday or Friday. I am thinking I will be fragging it and perhaps selling frags of it for a low price as I have little experience shipping coral (wink wink, keep an eye out).

I am also getting a blue/purple St Thomas mushroom which I can't wait to see in person!

I will post pics when these come in!

When fragging, wear gloves and eye protection as they can be toxic...

I was just talking to a hobby reefer yesterday who had problems after fragging and his friend was in the hospital from one of his fragging adventures!

Congrats on the new additions! Love to see a pic of the Wrasse! :popcorn:

When fragging, wear gloves and eye protection as they can be toxic...

I was just talking to a hobby reefer yesterday who had problems after fragging and his friend was in the hospital from one of his fragging adventures!

Congrats on the new additions! Love to see a pic of the Wrasse! :popcorn:

Will do! I have split up bigger rocks with small patches of zoas, but never have I split the tissue itself. I have gloves, glasses, lugols, super glue, rubble, acrylic plugs, and cutters ready!

Also, piglet (my wrasse) loves to say hi to me but not my camera :( I did get him in the background of one of my recent pics though. I think it's the last photo of the first set I just posted today.

I saw your Wrasse, spent my time focusing on the corals before! Very cute behavior and nice looking fish. I saw one at the lfs the other day.....hmmmmmm.......

New additions!

St Thomas mushroom
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425698845.900068.jpg

Blue and orange ricordea + Mohawk palys
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425698865.128052.jpg

Green "sparkly" polyps on the big rock with purple zoas
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425698909.699707.jpg

Purple polyps! The faces are dark and light purple striped and the skirts are light and dark grey striped :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425698954.170953.jpg

Same purple polls from the main rock, were already coming off the main rock
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425698995.432764.jpg

FTS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425699269.068093.jpg

With the new additions the tank is feeling cramped. I will be removing the polyps from the big rock they came on, so that might help. I was also thinking of creating an arch to attach polyps to out of dry rock. Heres a VERY rough idea of where it would be placed...ideas?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425699449.110792.jpg

Or maybe I could break these pieces up for the arch? They are wide and relatively flat. I like the other two as is.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425700729.732971.jpg

So, I have decided to get dry rock and build the exact structure I want. I will put the new structure in the tank with several of the live rocks so it can seed.

I am getting dry rock, aquarium epoxy putty, super glue gel, and plastic chopsticks.

I want to make something branching. It will be difficult because of the rectangular shape of the tank and the small size.

Anyways, I will post as it comes along. :)

So I found these 1/4 inch diameter acrylic rods which I think will work much better than the chopsticks. Plus they will be almost invisible in the tank even if I manage to place them funny :) feeling like a genius!

Rock is suppose to come by Monday. I will be documenting my process of building my rock piece since I have never done this before :)

I will watch what you do and see if it works. I want to do something like that in my new build too :) I have some stainless chop sticks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom