GouramiLover's Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will watch what you do and see if it works. I want to do something like that in my new build too :) I have some stainless chop sticks.

Not too sure about the stainless steel chopsticks, eventually even stainless steel rusts. The acrylic rods I got were 6$ on Amazon prime for 10. They are about the length and width of chopsticks, but clear so even if I don't completely hide them they should be difficult to see :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426282971.475051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
So still waiting for dry rock, super glue gel, and epoxy putty. BUT, I thought I would try my hand at a diy protein skimmer for my tank. I am consistently having a pretty solid layer of film on the surface of the water and I am also getting what looks like Dinoflagellates (snotty brown stuff with bubbles. Since I already change 1 gallon of water a week and I use chemipure and a phosphate absorber in my hob, I am thinking that trying to remove the dissolved solids using a protein skimmer might be the way to go.

So I got a few throw away bottles, a small container, hot glue, rubber bands, wood air stone, and some airline tubing. Most of this I already had with the exception of the air stone.

Anyways, I built the contraption and here it is before securing it the the Hob.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426283646.581179.jpg

Here it is bubbling away.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426283795.651513.jpg

I just put it in and have had to make a few adjustments in air flow so far. I am think if this as a pro type and I anticipate some changes in the near future.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426283709.740252.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426283709.740252.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 58
The dinoflagellate problem :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426284018.967727.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426284110.544676.jpg

In other news my St. Thomas mushroom is pretty friggin cool! It is more purple/blue than the picture can capture.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426284197.807187.jpg

So it is probably a combination of me adding more phosphate and silica absorber as well as my DIY protein skimmer which is really taking that oily layer completely away.

In other news I got my dry rock today!!!

I have been spending my after noon figuring out what combo works best aka what's most stave by itself and looks decent. Surprisingly I didn't really need the acrylic rods too much, but I am glad I had them. I am pretty positive I used way too much epoxy, but not that you can see.

I first rinsed all the rock really well then let them dry. I then began placing rocks together till I found some combos I liked. I will post pics next of my combos and overuse of epoxy ;)

First combo front
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426568612.810241.jpg

First combo back
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426568649.606093.jpg

Second combo front
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426568692.790580.jpg

Second combo back
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426568746.725455.jpg

Second combo close up of 'kickstand'
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426568784.964990.jpg

Alright, now to possible layouts. These are two I like, but please feel free to chime in if you have a different idea :)

Possible layout #1
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426569283.518228.jpg

Possible layout #2
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426569323.438291.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job. I like the second layout

Ian thinking the second one as well. I think the rock in the back will allow me to have more rock space for cord as well!

In other news I have prepped my coral for placement in the new tank. I think I will be placing some coral in my new rocks today or tomorrow. I want to attach as many as possible outside of the tank to get a good hold on the rock.

I have planned coral placement so I we have corals that are on opposite sides the the color wheel next to each other. I am hoping this will really make them pop :)

Alright, coral fastened and new rock placed. I have kept a few smaller pieces of my old live rock in the hob. The other pieces are being stored for a nervy local who wants them.

The corals are mostly closed, but I am liking the rock placement a lot! Piglet is zipping in and out of the new setup :) and as a bonus I can now get all three sides of the glass with my mag float without hitting anything! Whoot whoot!

Pic with regular lights
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426722097.924758.jpg

Some of the corals are adjusting well! Others just need a good rest I think ;)

Purple zoa ball
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426730882.220516.jpg

Yellow and green zoas not too happy
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426730919.878358.jpg

Middle rock & piglet is like 'me too!'. I can't wait till both the mushroom blimp back up to hide their plugs.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426730976.762778.jpg

I think I might need to flip my Mohawk zoas with the green sparkly ones, they are getting a lot of shadow :(
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426731055.774707.jpg

The hammer is loving its new spot!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426731173.303579.jpg

Alright FTS update!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426987475.181894.jpg

A few close ups

The green and yellow zoas are happy
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426987508.064516.jpg

The st Thomas mushroom has blimped up nicely
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426987550.736230.jpg

I'm a little concerned that the red mushroom next to the hammer, I might need to move it over now that it has blimped up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426987722.557933.jpg

A few more pics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426987747.928729.jpg

Love the green polyp mushroom leather. Is yours growing well? I really enjoy the one I put in my tank.

Thanks! It was actually my first coral and I am quite fond of it. It's has been growing slowly, but steadily. It has quite the grip on the ugly black rock it came on. Whatever the black rock is it is incredibly hard so I can't simply cut it away. Any advice on getting it to let go?

No clue...mine was on the same thing.

I take it yours is still on the black rock too? :)

I love the green polyp leather so much I just overlook it's ugly rock. I am getting in some rasta zoas next week and I am thinking of placing them nearby the leather's base. Hopefully the zoas with cover the base eventually. Though I have heard leathers put off a chemical to keep other corals from growing too closely, so I guess I will just have to see what happens. Maybe place them an inch away.

Back
Top Bottom