Green Tinted Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
We had a little problem with over feeding and the tank went to [moderator edit]. I was able to rescue the tank in time and get rid of the rotting food but the water continues to have a slight green tint to it. I am not sure how to get rid of this. Would it be alright to use the drops that clear up the water or does something else need to be done?

The water parameters are perfect again but I want the water to be clear again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like you have some sort of algae suspended in the water. Before I added chemicals, I would shut down the lighting for a day or two which should kill off the algae if that is what it is.

it won't. it will come back when the light is returned. also, water changes will just fuel it. this is the only application i would recommend a UV sterilizer for. google "green water outbreak".
you could also try nitrate reducing media, but i found the sterilizer to do an excellent job. maybe you could borrow one from someone for a day or two. that's all you'll need.

it won't. it will come back when the light is returned. also, water changes will just fuel it. this is the only application i would recommend a UV sterilizer for. google "green water outbreak".
you could also try nitrate reducing media, but i found the sterilizer to do an excellent job. maybe you could borrow one from someone for a day or two. that's all you'll need.

Hadn't heard of that one in my extensive experience. Ok, so it is only a couple of months. :) Good to know X.

Back
Top Bottom