Greenturtle's Biocube 29 Build Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that substituting the Mandarin for a Carpenters Flasher Wrasse is a good
idea. Seems easier and less stress.

Actually, McCoskers wrasse, not carpenters. LA says 50 gallon for the MC but other sites say they need 20. Think it would be ok in a 29?

Actually, McCoskers wrasse, not carpenters. LA says 50 gallon for the MC but other sites say they need 20. Think it would be ok in a 29?

I have a McKoskers in a 54 gallon. From my experience, he uses the whole tank. This fish swims non stop all around side to side, front to back. Not saying it needs a big tank, just my experience.

Also, I will note that he is the most aggressive of my fish. He likes to pick on and chase the fish a lot. Only one he doesn't is the Midas blenny.

I have (2) B/W clowns, purple firefish, Midas Blenny, and him.

TLTGF said:
I have a McKoskers in a 54 gallon. From my experience, he uses the whole tank. This fish swims non stop all around side to side, front to back. Not saying it needs a big tank, just my experience.

Also, I will note that he is the most aggressive of my fish. He likes to pick on and chase the fish a lot. Only one he doesn't is the Midas blenny.

I have (2) B/W clowns, purple firefish, Midas Blenny, and him.

Really? I was reading a different forum and they said that they are the most docile fish they have and should be added first.

I cut the wrasse just a few minutes ago anyway, because a lot of people said that their wrasses needed more space than in their 30 gallon tanks. Oh well.

p.s. I have a Midas Blenny in my 90 gallon reef and he is one of my favorite fish! Note the profile picture...

I think that my stocklist without the wrasse is fine, and I can add another fish later on.

1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Fire Goby
2 Black And White Clownfish

(in order of addition)

Nitrites are at 0, and my nitrates are at 20 mg/l ! The cycle is going to probably take 4 weeks exactly. Today is the 3 week-a-versary of me starting the cycle :)

Yes you are almost there my friend. Pictures are welcome you know.. ;)

I picked up a refugium light at petsmart today. I have to have my heater in my fuge because it's so large. I can't stand getting a different heater though. I love electronic fluvals so much.

I finally decided the last fish on my stocklist. So much research, I'm afraid to go online again! So here is the FINAL stocklist...

1 Fire Goby
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
2 Black & White Clownfish
1 Chalk Bass

Good choices! I like the chalk bass too, not too many people seem to like em though but I think its an excellent fish. :)

Tank has been fully cycled since Xmas Eve :) I threw in 2 hermits and a Cerith snail from the 90 gallon and they are doing fine. All of the diatoms that I had throughout the cycle have disappeared, but now I'm getting red slime on some rocks. The skimmer is working well, I guess. It pulls out a fair amount of brown liquid that is much lighter-colored than the stuff that the reef octopus takes out in my 90 gallon reef. Is that ok? Also, the amount of bubbles it makes always pushes the top off of the cup.

My rocks are in their final resting place I think. There are tons of place for coral, and they make the tank look like a cove or lagoon of some sort. I really like it :)

Lastly, there are some small white dots that are on my glass. I don't see them move, but whenever I look a the glass later in the day, they are in different places. It looks like they are eating the algae off of the glass. Any ideas on what they could be? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-4179228525.jpg
    image-4179228525.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1009782946.jpg
    image-1009782946.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 163
  • image-2658402086.jpg
    image-2658402086.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2563676943.jpg
    image-2563676943.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 163
Greenturtle said:
Tank has been fully cycled since Xmas Eve :) I threw in 2 hermits and a Cerith snail from the 90 gallon and they are doing fine. All of the diatoms that I had throughout the cycle have disappeared, but now I'm getting red slime on some rocks. The skimmer is working well, I guess. It pulls out a fair amount of brown liquid that is much lighter-colored than the stuff that the reef octopus takes out in my 90 gallon reef. Is that ok? Also, the amount of bubbles it makes always pushes the top off of the cup.

My rocks are in their final resting place I think. There are tons of place for coral, and they make the tank look like a cove or lagoon of some sort. I really like it :)

Lastly, there are some small white dots that are on my glass. I don't see them move, but whenever I look a the glass later in the day, they are in different places. It looks like they are eating the algae off of the glass. Any ideas on what they could be? Thanks for the help!

Nice! I like the way the rocks are set up too.

I have macro algae growing on my overflow in my 90 gallon. Is it ok to use for the fuge in my Biocube? My Kole Tang and Algae Blenny won't touch it.

Attachments

• image-106886091.jpg
    image-106886091.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 161
redsea said:
I don't see a problem in doing that. :) Not sure 100% sure though.

It's been growing in my 90 for awhile and it hasn't killed anything. Yet. I think it's safe :)

New Additions! They're pretty small, especially the YWG.

Attachments

• image-2416430263.jpg
    image-2416430263.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1351584173.jpg
    image-1351584173.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom