Greenturtle's MAYBE Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxst2 said:
the best place for info for leds is nano reef

look in the lighting section. im in the hospital atm, wifey is getting induced to have our first kid. start of a very long night.

That's awesome! Congratulations!!!

maxst2 said:
Instructions: http://www.vinnymarini.com/pictures/rapid_docs/Nano%20Retrofit%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

LED KIT - lucky... i had to build mine lol

Biocube 29 Dimmable Retrofit Kit

Dimmer

DDC-01 PWM Controller

You'll wire the led's with the drivers in series. Driver ( - ) to (+) to (-) ... to driver (+) ending the chain.

Radioshack costs will be like $20 for a iron with a fine point and some thin solider and flux.

If it costs that much won't it be cheaper just to get the HQI?

LED benefits :

No heat.
Super Less power consumed
Don't have to replace the LED's for about 15 years
Produces equal or better light than the Metal Halide.

Price is kinda a turn off... but personally I don't want an heat source, having to replace bulbs every 6 months, and having it make my power meter spin like a top.

I do not really have a reason to switch the stock lights to LEDs though. I have heard stories of BTAs thriving under stock lights if you feed them 3 times a week. Now I know if I wanted SPS or Clams I would need the LEDs, but that would be a distant future type of thing. But for now, softies, a BTA, and maybe some LPS is all I require for the biocube.

I just look at it that your paying for the LED system in 2 years just from bulb replacements lol Then you can have anything you want in the tank.

maxst2 said:
I just look at it that your paying for the LED system in 2 years just from bulb replacements lol Then you can have anything you want in the tank.

That is a REALLY good point. Isnt it like $60 every 6 months to replace both bulbs?

It says that you need a reef contoller and a 10V AC adapter. Where can one buy those? Do they need to be special ones for the LEDs?

I just calculated all of the costs of everything. If I get LEDs, the total cost without any fuge stuff, live rock/sand, and livestock is $875. If I buy everything online. I need to look at craigslist more closely...

maxst2 said:
That would be the 2nd DIMMER link. The dimmer out puts - 4 - 2 neg and 2 pos.

I couldn't read the tutorial (on the mobile version) so I don't know what that means. It said that I needed the reef contoller and 10v AC adapter on the LED kit under detailed description, not the dimmer. So I need the reef controller and adapter for the dimmer, or the LED kit? Do I need the dimmer?

A controller would be the dimmer. They sell a dimmer system (2nd link)...which is way less than a controller.

Ok. I would not get the BTA for the first 6 months anyways, because of water quality. So I think that i will not get the LEDs for a while, but when I need to replace the stock lighting after 6 months, I will upgrade to the LEDs. And then I will get the BTA. Thank you so much! This really helped a lot!

np...sounds like a good plan anyway... PC's put out some decent light.

I have a 10gal going right now, i can't setup my biocube till i move into my house. Since moving a tank is alot of work and basically is a restart. When I move I'll be setting up the biocube and cleaning the bubble algae issue that I atm and have the 10gal up and the biocube since I love saltwater. I have a 55gal planted tank too...but when we move im going to sell everything off for a store credit and turn the tank into a sump for a 75 gal tank.

maxst2 said:
np...sounds like a good plan anyway... PC's put out some decent light.

I have a 10gal going right now, i can't setup my biocube till i move into my house. Since moving a tank is alot of work and basically is a restart. When I move I'll be setting up the biocube and cleaning the bubble algae issue that I atm and have the 10gal up and the biocube since I love saltwater. I have a 55gal planted tank too...but when we move im going to sell everything off for a store credit and turn the tank into a sump for a 75 gal tank.

I have tried plants. They never live. Ever. Not even moss balls.

55 gallon seems to be a big sump for a 75 gallon. I have a 20L as a sumo for my 90 gallon. It is a little crowded, but works. I do wish I had room for a fuge for my 90 gallon though :/

If I were you, I would set up the biocube, and have it up and running for 3+ months. Then get a reef tank larger than 75 gallons, more like 125. Then you can have more/bigger fish. Like Tangs, for example :)

Back
Top Bottom