help choosing a nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have really been thinking about a nano reef and im getting excited ..i have a 50 gall tall hi-tech /plnted fresh and if i do this i really want to try and get as much info as possible so i do it right the first time....

i was looking at the 12 gallon jbj cube but is it worth it since i would change the light and what not so any help on a good size/light and so forth....i need a run down on what to do??

help me please

Ryder...you are covering a lot of very general territory with that open ended question :)

It looks like you are leaning towards the all-in-one (AIO) type tank vice a regualr aquarium. The nanocube is one type, you also have the Oceanic Biocube. The Nanocubes now, I believe, come with different light choices, LED, compact flo based on size. You don't necessarily need to do a light swap if the stock lights will work with the reef inhabitants you are considering...and that is probably where you need to start looking. Determine the type of reef inhabitants and research the lighting, then, choose your tank accordingly. Obviously, as size and lighting capability increases, so does the cost.

I don't know of too many people who have AIOs that actually use the stock tank; most have made several modifications...it just depends on which tank as to which modifications are done.

The larger the tank the more forgiving, however, the nano system is "delicate" to a certain degree just by the very nature of its size...water parameters can change quickly but the maintenance on a nano really isn't that difficult if you stick with a set schedule.

Ryder...you are covering a lot of very general territory with that open ended question :)

It looks like you are leaning towards the all-in-one (AIO) type tank vice a regualr aquarium. The nanocube is one type, you also have the Oceanic Biocube. The Nanocubes now, I believe, come with different light choices, LED, compact flo based on size. You don't necessarily need to do a light swap if the stock lights will work with the reef inhabitants you are considering...and that is probably where you need to start looking. Determine the type of reef inhabitants and research the lighting, then, choose your tank accordingly. Obviously, as size and lighting capability increases, so does the cost.

I don't know of too many people who have AIOs that actually use the stock tank; most have made several modifications...it just depends on which tank as to which modifications are done.

The larger the tank the more forgiving, however, the nano system is "delicate" to a certain degree just by the very nature of its size...water parameters can change quickly but the maintenance on a nano really isn't that difficult if you stick with a set schedule.

sorry for leaving it so broad .....i guess what i was trying to ask is ...are those all in one type cubes worth it because of having to make mods with the light ....are the filters good and so forth...

so would it be cheeper to just buy a small tank/filters/lights separate....

but i would like to be able to grow almost anything that my size tank would allow....i was thinking 12 to 24 g

sorry for leaving it so broad .....i guess what i was trying to ask is ...are those all in one type cubes worth it because of having to make mods with the light ....are the filters good and so forth...

so would it be cheeper to just buy a small tank/filters/lights separate....

Again, it depends on what you want in the tank. The nanocube puts out at least 4 different types with related lighting based on size. You don't necessarily have to upgrade your lighting automatically just because it is an AIO. The beauty of the AIOs is that they are desigend, or were designed, for reef applications. Those with a little more experience made some minor modifications just to increase the chances of success such as a more powerful pump and better use of the media chamber. These are realtively inexpensive additions/modifications.

Reefs need a little more specialized equipment. Let's say you go with a basic 15 gallon tank (I think they come in 15). You are running about $40.00 for the tank itself. Add in a basic glass cover for about $20. If you run metal halides, you are looking at about $400 (est). A twin tube T5 High output (108 watts) is about $125.00 between the light and bulbs. This particular light: 36 Inch T5 Fluorescent Light Fixtures has a timer for all the lights. I had this one in a 36" strip and the reef inhabitants did very well, but, I didn't get into the high cost, super hard to keep type corals either.

After the basics, you need a failry high powered pump/filter, maybe a small sump. My recommendation is to go into your LFS, preferably one that specializes in aquariums, and do some price checking. Once you get an idea between the aquariums with the extra "stuff" or an all-in-one, then you can do comparison shopping online for better costs. Just keep in mind that shipping could well over reach what you would pay locally with taxes. Most aquarium specialty shops have deals on complete packages..you might find something you like in that line.

the biocube 29 is amazing carey has one loves it you can kkeep some lps i believe with stock lighs alone it's also a good price for an all in one

Wolf beat me to it. Yep, I really like my 29 biocube. :-D

The only thing I am/have changed is filtration. I am adding an in tank media basket and fuge. I don't intend on keeping any uber hi light corals or nems so the stock lights are fine. I haven't put in the new media baskets yet, kinda busy on my other tank for now.

I find the maintenance on the cube very simple and I don't have much evaporation so top offs aren't a pain.

i really like the cubes but for the 28 gallon its like 300 bucks which is a lot of money cause i want to be able to row just about anything....

so would getting everything separate be better im going to my lfs today and petsmart to just check out prices...

bsdryder7 said:
i really like the cubes but for the 28 gallon its like 300 bucks which is a lot of money cause i want to be able to row just about anything....

so would getting everything separate be better im going to my lfs today and petsmart to just check out prices...

what do you want coral wise? liighs can be expensive im payin 100 fot a 4bx24w thats 24" and it's a decent brand not even a high end one

i want to be able to grow hi to low corals so money isnt really a problem AT THE MOMENT lol im thinking 12 to 24 g cube or tank im not sure??

so sps hard corals like birds nest etc? if moneys no option try a 20-30g with MH lights im just not sure how hard it is to change stock lights of a cube

ya thats what i was thinking or i saw a 26 gallon cube with no hood for 40 bucks and i would add a pedant clamp on but might have to rplace filter so dont know if that would be worth it ???

i saw the 150w halaide from fish needit.com

ya i know .....i saw the picture its just the tank and a power head.. the tank looks like its in good shape so i would need a light and what else??

heres a pic......40 bucks what do you guys think

Attachments

• 3p43o93l55O35V25P4b5v86d5f2e972501a01.jpg
    3p43o93l55O35V25P4b5v86d5f2e972501a01.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 109
Stand included?

You can get a bare tank online for less than $100 brand new. lemme go find it and i'll post it in a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom