Help with my 2.5 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all!! I haven't been here since I had my 180 gallon mixed reef tank. I got rid of it (due to family decisions). I'm now living in a 1 room garage apartment.... I have a 2.5 gallon mixed reef tank established but I want more flow!! I'm thinking about doing a sump.... What size would you suggest? What configuration? What size pump for enough movement for some fun corals?

The size is up to the room you have. Bigger is always better and will help with parameter draw from the limited amount of water in the system as coral growth can absorb elements so fast you might need to dose.

Why not go with a bigger display?
Smaller sump?
If I were you and would want to put a sump on that tank I'd go with a 5.5 gallon so you have enough room for everything.

Why not go with a bigger display?
Smaller sump?
If I were you and would want to put a sump on that tank I'd go with a 5.5 gallon so you have enough room for everything.

I like the way you think! My last was a 180 gallon and I miss it! But I live in a garage apartment now so I need to say small.... What's the foot print of a 5.5?

5.5 is 17"L x 9"D
Go as big as you can.

I was thinking of waiting for Petco to do a dollar per gallon sale and buy one to build a sump. I'm thinking a 10-20 would do well for it... I may even just have another body of water with sand and rock in it instead of building a sump. Not 100% sure on all of that yet. I've got a good HOB filter I can put in the sump. Whatcha think?

I mean, yeah that's a good idea but to be completely honest I'd just buy a 10 gallon, set it up with a 5.5 gallon sump and call it a day.
Also 5.5 gallon tanks aren't included in the dollar per gallon sale.
And you could do a lot more than just an HOB on the sump, you could have a refugium and a skimmer and a bunch of other stuff (although a skimmer might be pointless for a tank this small)

Back
Top Bottom