Help With My 3 Gallon Eclipse Nano setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinxmeow94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased an eclipse 3 gallon tank the one that comes with the filter, pump and standard lighting, (there are pics on my profile) I have 4 pounds of argonite on the bottom, and 3 pounds of live rock, I've premixed snd added my salt and added the proper amount of stresscoat. I've alos added a submersible heater so the tank is staying right at 82 degrees. I'm starting to see a bit od pink growth and some little corals popping out from my rock. Here's my question....What is the easiest way to keep my live rock growing, I'm not interested in adding any fish for a long while, I just want to see what my rock produces...do I need to feed it? and do I need different light? and with a tank this small do I need a skimmer? Thanks so much!!! in advance :) :fish2:

First off, 82 degrees is really warm for any reef tank. You should keep the tank around 78-80 degrees. Live rock doesn't "grow" it's not really alive, it's the organisms in and on it that make it alive. Did you cycle the tank yet? Also, aragonite on the bottom of the tank is going to collect bacteria and cause your tank to crash. Are you using RO/DI water or tap water? Tap water is very bad for your tank and you should avoid it. There's a lot of things that go into having a reef tank, even one as small as 3 gallons.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I know the rock itself doesnt grow lol..I meant the stuff on it, i'm just learning about all of this..I'm reallly a nooob, I went to a "Salt Water Expert" shop, with the thought that I wanted to start a sw tank, He (the owner) told me to just mix the salt water that I needed, put the substrate in the tank along with the live rock and let my tank run, I bought a 5-1 test (the strip kind) which tests for nitrite, niatrate, and ammonia, so I have tested everyday so far... (I thought this was strange since you dont set up a f/w tank this quickly, but he was the expert..) So now I'm out about $200, and still dont have a clue...Is this all I need? help..

Hi, thanks for the reply, I know the rock itself doesnt grow lol..I meant the stuff on it, i'm just learning about all of this..I'm reallly a nooob, I went to a "Salt Water Expert" shop, with the thought that I wanted to start a sw tank, He (the owner) told me to just mix the salt water that I needed, put the substrate in the tank along with the live rock and let my tank run, I bought a 5-1 test (the strip kind) which tests for nitrite, niatrate, and ammonia, so I have tested everyday so far... (I thought this was strange since you dont set up a f/w tank this quickly, but he was the expert..) So now I'm out about $200, and still dont have a clue...Is this all I need? help..
test strips are junk,get an api saltwater master test kit.

What water are you using? How do you figure to cycle the tank? Live rock and sand won't cycle it. There are different methods you can use. A lot of people use the raw shrimp method. You put a raw shrimp in the tank which kick starts your cycle. Also like I said before you can't use tap water, that will constantly give you problems.

Any type or size of shrimp in perticular? shouls I use bottles water for my changes? Sorry for all the dumb questions..just trying to do this the best/easiest/cheapest way possible :) I did buy An API Master tester tonight..seems complicated....but I will learn

jinxmeow94 said:
Any type or size of shrimp in perticular? shouls I use bottles water for my changes? Sorry for all the dumb questions..just trying to do this the best/easiest/cheapest way possible :) I did buy An API Master tester tonight..seems complicated....but I will learn

You can used distilled water, comes in gallon jugs. :)

Just buy a regular raw shrimp, (NOT THE RED COOKED ONES). I would leave it in there for about a week. It will smell pretty nasty but keep checking your levels. The populations of bacteria involved in converting ammonia to nitrite quickly build up to sufficient numbers and process the waste generated while the ammonia levels go down to undetectable levels. Then the cycle is over. You have to monitor your levels EVERY day during this process. The shrimp might actually start to turn red, that's a good thing. Once the cycle is over, remove the shrimp (QUICKLY put it in a sealed bag) I'm telling you the smell is awful. Don't remove any water after the cycle, I will tell you the next step after that. If you want this done right, you have to be patient.

As long as you don't have anything in the tank you will be fine. Keep me posted and do some research on it.

You can also use some pure ammonia, like for cleaning, from ace hardware. You can just put a drop or two into the water and voila you have ammonia. Then it;s just a waiting game for the nitrites to kick in. Once that happens your half way home.

I would def recommend getting the API saltwater master test kit, not too much money but youll need it to cycle.

I really wouldn't use pure ammonia. Putting any chemical in a tank is always a risk, just my opinion. Especially with live rock in the tank, you're going to kill everything.

I used it just fine with my live rock. You dont put a whole lot in, just enough to get it to 4ppm. I find it gives more control over the ammonia rahter than using a dead shrimp. With the shrimp you can't be sure of how much ammonia is being released, at what rate and then you might have to put another shrimp in. I think a shrimp will produce way way too much ammonia for such a small tank. But that's just my opinion. :-D

Yeah, I'm really big on not adding anything to my tank. i don't even dose anything yet. lol But in this case I think it's fine. As long as it's pure ammonia, no cleaners or fragrances in it.

its possible that some die off from the live rock will produce some ammonia, and given enough time it will properly cycle. It might take awhile though! You'll want to use Ro/DI water. Or, if you go for distilled water, make sure it wasn't "brewed" in copper vats. Thats a very common practice, and can end up causing problems. Copper, although naturally antibiotic, is deadly to inverts.

Have you checked your salinity? A hydrometer or a refractometer (sp?) will do you right. Other wise, there's no way to know if you're mixing your salt right.

Check out the link in my signature. Its eco's guide to fishless cycling, no matter what I say above it. Its truly a must read.

Thanks so much ..Just so I have this right, when I'm starting out with just setting up, I add the newly mixed saltwater, argonite, and live rock and let it cycle, I DONT add any ammolock or stresscoat to the water right? I let it cycle with my shrimp for a week and test my water everyday and log it, then what?? I feel like crying..I think I may need to start over again...:( because I thought I was supposed to add ammolock/stresscoat and the measured amount of each item in my Kent's starter set, (Iodine, Liquid Calcium, and strotium/Molybdenum) I hope I didnt kill my poor live rock...I live really far out and dont have a very knowledgable lfs..they just think they are.:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom